Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-40 Krag + 5744 + heavy boolits ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1946 View Post
    I don't mean to be critical about your choice of propellants, but what is your obsession with 2,000 fps.+ loads in a 120 year old battle rifle? That old sweetheart has probably seen a lot of stressful conditions if it was used by soldiers at all.
    2000fps was the velocity of the original Krag Mil load with a 220gn jacketed bullet.

The Lyman cast load discussed earlier indicates a 210gn 311284 HC boolit pushed to 1995fps as the listed book max using 28.0 gns of 5744. For a near duplication of the original mil-spec Krag load with a HC slug, that's pretty close.

My Gramps custom Krag sporter is actually in really good shape. The bore has good rifling and isn't pitted or fouled.

In hindsight, having re-read the Venturino Handloader piece again, (referenced above), if I load the 210gn boolits with 5744 I'll just stick to his data, where 24.0 gns was his max load.

If you want 30'06 performance, get yourself a high number Springfield and leave the old one lug pretty boys in the gun rack where they belong
    Not looking for '30-06 performance' at all.
    Last edited by Nick Adams; 01-07-2020 at 08:39 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Amen.

As I understand it, XMP-5744 was originally a European military powder. (Czech?) It wasn't good for the military use it was intended for, so it was surplussed, and it found a niche among cast-bullet shooters. Mike Venturino promoted it for the .30-06 and .45-70. The milsurp supply dried up, but the demand was such that Alliant got another powder maker to duplicate it. And that's what you get now as AA5744.

In the '90s I burned a lot of it in .35 Remington, for loads in the 25k to 30k range, where it worked well. At pressures under 20,000 it leaves a lot of half-burned kernels, and it's too fast to be used above 30k psi IMHO. An inflexible powder. I eventually dropped it. I never was one for the big cases, and in any event it doesn't meter well at all. I was at one time lining myself up to try it with cast bullets in the 7.5x55 Swiss, but Blue Dot and Varget proved so effective there that I never did.

Time to repost these photos of cracked Krag bolts, as a warning to them as wants to try to make the old girls emulate the .308:

Attachment 253836Attachment 253837
    Alliant?

http://www.accuratepowder.com/products/rifle/

Boolit Buddy
    Has anyone mentioned the hazards of using cast bullet date for jacketed yet?

Quote Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
    Thank you. Old age and brain fade.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
    Has anyone mentioned the hazards of using cast bullet date for jacketed yet?
    Yes. That lunacy has been sufficiently addressed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12