Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Pan lubing REAL bullets

Boolit Buddy

Pan lubing REAL bullets

Is anyone pan lubing REAL bullets and if so what are you using for lube. Looking to shoot the bullets out of my 54 caplock.

Boolit Grand Master

Sure, they lube nice this way. I used 50/50 beeswax/Crisco. Just about anything like lard, tallow, olive oil can be substituted, although in a different ratio. The biggest problem you will find with the REAL is getting them big enough. They do not shoot good with a harder alloy, as they require obturation. I had to resort to two layers aluminum tape inside the mold faces (look up "beagling a mold"), casting at 820 degrees, and the most important step is sorting by size. I checked every single bullet with a calipers. If the top band wasn't .555", I tossed them. Even bigger would be better. The biggest problem is the base band being undersized. When beagled like this, base band got up to .539" which still was loose fit in the bore. I found an 1/8" felt wad under the bullet was needed to seal. I also took care when seating, heavy handed seating could cock the bullet inside the bore. I also required a fouled bore, likely due to the loose fit. If I did everything right, my Renegade would group these about 3.5" at 100 yards with aperture sights. Miss any step, and I was lucky to keep them on paper at 50 yards.

Boolit Master
    My Hawken 54 (Bob Hoyt) 1-60 twist is zeroed @190yds with a 300 grain REAL over a bear oil soaked felt wad over a card over 90 gr OE 3F pan lubed with unsalted crisco /BW/ . This will stay on a paper plate off a bench rest and nope not traditional with a 2x7 Leopold But the 6pt @92 yds only went 30 ft . Lucky I got a second shot ,in the excitement I forgot that load is 8 in high @ 100yds and I ranged him @72yds and just cut hair on his back . Corrected @ 92yds /Ed

Boolit Master
    You can pan lube them no problem. I usually just dip them in melted lube a couple times and let the muzzle take off the extra. I use a 50/50 ish mix of beeswax and Crisco in a double boiler set up.

My buddy just smashed a doe with the 380gr 54 real that I cast...she didn't make it far.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy
    Mold just showed up today so I will cast some up and try the 50/50 beeswax and Crisco. Do they need a wad under the bullet?

Boolit Master
    Absolutely see reply #3 /Ed

Boolit Master
    Wad or bore button will help without a doubt in my experience.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy
    Well I got 50 cast up, came out at 300 to 301 grains so thats great.

I have some 20 gauge felt and cork wads i will play around with to see what I get.

Got the bullets cooling in the pan lube right now, I happened to have some lube I got from one of the vendors here about 7 years ago that I used to pan lube a few TC Maxi Balls before I moved on to something else. I'm going to try or at least shoot up this lube before I mix up my own pan lube, wish I remembered who I got this lube from. I found one lubed TC bullet in my stash of stuff, bullet has been lubed for 6 years and has set in my attic room where summer temps get over 110 degrees and the lube is still soft yet holding well in the lube groves.

Is pan lubing with liquid alox sufficient to prevent leading? Better said, is it adequate?
    If you're gonna shoot shoot, don't talk.

Boolit Master
    Not appropriate much less adequate as its used for smokeless, not for BP . Black powder requires a lube to soften fouling and gas cutting or undersized boolits cause leading .The prevention to leading is to provide the proper sized boolit protected by a felt lubed/over a card over powder charge /Please refer to reply #3 in the reply's you will find simple lubes correct for the application many found in your kitchen /Ed

Banned

what ed said, for sure!