Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decided to take a new approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    A small flat on the end or a dimple with a drill bit on the nose. OR
    A small strip of thin aluminum foil across the top of the bullet a quarter inch into the bullet tip in the mould to split the tip.
    The bullet will upset when it enters the game.
    It only takes a little bit to make a big change when the lead hits the game.
    Any of these changes at rifle velocity and using a heavy bullet will make the lead bullet cast hard or soft much more effective.
    Don't be afraid to experiment.
    These are proven ways to change your hit.
    Just remember to only keep the change small and let the rifle velocity and the lead do the rest.
    In a handgun bullet you need a lot bigger change , but in a rifle, a little is a lot more.
    Only a small flat or dimple on the bullet tip is all you need.
    Your bullet will penetrate better and not blow up on the skin.
    But it will expand deeper in where you need it.
    I really like the idea of the aluminum foil.... That's why I love this website
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Boolit Master

I’ve heard the aluminum foil ; sounds in theory simple and would probably work well-‘I’ve not tested it or seen any photo evidence of its use on game but I’d be game to try it if you do LakeMaster please keep us posted. Never be afraid to experiment

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve used the foil trick on bullet designs, but never shot an animal with one. The nose would blow off when fired into wet newsprint. Note that this trick will cause the bullet nose to be oversize and no longer round. It may cause the bullet nose to be engraved by the rifling. Depending on the fit of the bullet this could cause the bullet to be pulled from the case when a loaded round is extracted. Just something to be aware of.

Boolit Master
    I think the first question you need to answer is whether or not you can get, much less need, one MOA accuracy with your rifle. You'd be lucky to get that accuracy from jacketed bullets even with lots of load development. Once that is achieved at 100 yards there is much more that comes into play at distance under actual field conditions. GF

Boolit Grand Master

Years ago when I was experimenting with the limits of Hi-Tek coating I shot the same Lee 200gr in my Savage 30-06 with a load of H1000 that reached 2,600 fps. It was accurate at just over an inch at 100 yards but do to debris left in the barrel was good for only 3 to 5 shots before the barrel needed to be brushed. Did not have lead stuck to the inside of the barrel. I do not recommend loading this hot, this was just an experiment.
    I think the Lee is an accurate design but don't have any hunting experience with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12