Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: High shoulder shots

Boolit Grand Master

A high shoulder shot is a mostly a spine shot. A hit above the spine but still in the scapula may or may not knock them down and if they do go down they may not stay down. It also tends to make a mess of the chops so I avoid it. Also a bit high and it's a nasty flesh wound. A bit low and it's a high lung shot that tends to take awhile before they bleed externally. The top of each lung is above the bottom of the spine. The void does not exist. Most claimed void shots are above the spine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shot placement.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	254449

Name:	below20spine2C20above20lungs.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	254443

Name:	26298ce4db7b75de96f9722d685cff35.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	254444

Name:	deer-x-ray-e1362339216203.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	254445
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-08-2020 at 01:50 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Some also tend to believe deer have a shoulder joint that can be hit with a high shoulder shot. The scapula muscles are what attaches the shoulder to the torso. There are no joints to hit with a high shoulder shot.

Name:	Sapula.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	254446

Name:	Deer_Anatomy.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	254447

Also an excellent diagram here but I can't get the pic to upload properly.

https://bereeloutdoors.com/arrowmat-...8aAk_fEALw_wcB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails il_340x270.1372935010_7ory.jpg  
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-08-2020 at 03:37 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

So much depends on the deer's location and state. In my 50 years or so of hunting I have seen enough to say that about the only thing that is DRT is a CNS shot. Larger more destructive hits through the lungs with bigger guns don't do much more. A deer in the woods does not seem to run as far with a lung hit and I have seen them go down. Lung hit in an opening or field and they run farther to get to cover, but there are exceptions. I watched a lung hot deer run at least 75 yards if not farther going toward the woods on a hay field and it did not make it and really kicked up the snow when it dropped. Hit a deer in the neck under the spine and it stopped when it made cover and dropped. I could go on but head shots are unsporting as one can blow a jaw off and not find a deer. Neck shots, if high will cause a wound but it will get away. They run with lung shots and I have seen them go a long ways with heart shots. In MN where they put on fat and develop a very thick winter coat they often don't leave much of a trail. Never have had all broadside shots either. I have angled shots where one shoulder is broken and they don't run as far because it slows them down. Low hits from a elevated stand aiming at the shoulder can give you a broken leg and a lost deer. Happened to me. I haved lost very few deer, but I am careful about my shots.

DEP

#375296; dropped a buck with a too high shoulder shot. Only being sighted in for out to 200 I judged the elevation incorrectly and shot high. Destroyed the spine so all I had to do was walk up and deliver the coup de gras but I surely didn't like him having to wait until I got there. I really do prefer closer and bigger.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123