Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ballistol use

Ballistol use

I have used quit a bit of Ballistol over the years along with many other firearm cleaning/ protectant products. I know the Ballistol story and what uses it was developed for maybe 120+ years ago in Germany. One useage was medicinal use on your body, prevent infection, speed healing, etc..... So do any of you casters, shooters, tinker's actually use Ballistol as a medicinal product? Did it work or do any good? Or did it not work at all, or worse? I have and it sure seemed to help healing on cuts and stop a skin rash, maybe. Any comments good, bad or otherwise.

Boolit Master
    We have it on the shelf for an OTC emollient basically. Works for softening nostrils and paws, old dry wire cuts, etc. It supposedly was the first "medical grade" mineral oil. There may be something to the oils used in it that are therapeutic. All this AND it smells nice!
    Oh, and I've heard some use it for guns??

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    WHAT!!! Ballistol cleans guns even black powder very well, but it reeks! I have to use it outside or my wife complains for a couple of days till it dissipates.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Grand Master

While I use it to clean guns mostly, I also have used it for a cutting fluid for tapping drilling and turning

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    WHAT!!! Ballistol cleans guns even black powder very well, but it reeks! I have to use it outside or my wife complains for a couple of days till it dissipates.
    I don't understand this. Everyone I've used it around says it smells amazing.

Boolit Master

Damn.... I don't mind the smell of skunk, but I'll gag at the smell of Ballistol.
    Denny

Boolit Master
    You know, I think it's a little like scarlet oil. I think it's better than Chanel, but some say it's worse than boiled *********. I grew up with Ballistol in the shop and scarlet oil in the barn. I can't imagine more homey smells.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Minerat; 12-28-2019 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Added ***

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I don’t know why everyone whines about the smell. I don’t think it smells bad. Course I haven’t smelled anything since 1984……!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I swim in it like Frank Drebin. I LOVE IT
    A nice cigar makes a bad day good and a good day great.

Boolit Master

use it and enjoy, just not around me LOL i cant stand the stink of it.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I couldn’t smell the teargas in the Corps. Sure felt the effects tho.

Boolit Master

Ballistol is all i use now but have a soft spot for the smell of Hoppes #9 thats what Dad had on his bench
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    I couldn’t smell the teargas in the Corps. Sure felt the effects tho.

id rather suffer the gas chamber again.

Boolit Master
    I use it and like it, but don't care for the aroma. Then again I hate the smell of Hoppe's. Will only use it outdoors. Never heard of it's healing properties...........will have to try it when my palms start cracking, again.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

I like the smell and use quite a bit of it on various things including leather boots, spray on molds etc. I like its use on molds, saw blades etc because it washes off easily.

It's medicinal use is well known in Europe and they even sell it as such in white cans with red labels. They call it Ballistol Universal but I think it's the same stuff just that it's approved for use on animals something they just won't do here because of the cost. I think....at least they don't differentiate between the two that I can see.
    I use it on my hands for cracked and dry skin. It works great for that.

There are innumerous fields of application for Ballistol in housekeeping and technology, but equally countless are the possibilities of using Ballistol with human beings and animals. This is kind of a delicate subject matter, because according to the law on pharmaceutical products we are not allowed to give hints at the medicinal use otherwise we would have to dub Ballistol a medicament. But then it could only be sold and bought at the chemist's as a prescription-free remedy. Therefore we'll refrain from giving any more advice on that subject and rely on our customers to recommend Ballistol to friends and acquaintances.

Read for yourself
    https://www.ballistol-shop.de/Body-C..._S_40_221.html
    https://www.ballistol-shop.de/Histor...stol:_:86.html
    Last edited by jonp; 12-28-2019 at 08:26 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    You can also use it to treat leather.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I've used Ballistol for years. It does have a foul smell, unlike any other similar product, but you eventually get used to the "dirty feet" aroma.

Banned
    I recall from reading one of Stephen Ambrose books (maybe Citizen Soldiers) that American soldiers in the European theater learned to recognize the smell of sweat stained German leather gear when they were in close proximity to German soldiers. I always wondered if that might have been some combination of perspiration and Ballistol soaked into the leather gear?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I recall from reading one of Stephen Ambrose books (maybe Citizen Soldiers) that American soldiers in the European theater learned to recognize the smell of sweat stained German leather gear when they were in close proximity to German soldiers. I always wondered if that might have been some combination of perspiration and Ballistol soaked into the leather gear?
    That sounds similar to the basis of the old swedish name for birchbark-tar, ryssolja (russian oil), because the russians used it to treat their leather gear and during the wars in the dark and fog the swedes are said to sometimes have been able to smell their enemies before they could see them.

As far as wound treatment and the like I use wool fat and have only use ballistol for guns and other metal items like creaking doors and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    I don't understand this. Everyone I've used it around says it smells amazing.
    Yeah it smells amazingly like Cat Pee! I asked them about it last year at the SHOT Show and they confirmed that it in fact, has some in it!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast