Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Square Deal

Boolit Buddy

Square Deal

Have an old square deal that refuses to drop the last two or three primers out of the large magazine. Called Dillon and they sent me a couple of new 'ends' for the magazine but no improvement. They suggested the primers were not concentric but have tried both Winchester and CCI and no real difference between the two brands. Have also tried dropping singles thru the magazine with tube removed from primer assembly and resting upright on table top; some will drop out when I lift tube from table top and some will hang up. Can't believe that all Square Deals have this problem. Suggestions (other than a follower rod)???

Boolit Master
    You mentioned that it was old. Has the primer mag every been cleaned? When I had my SDB, I spilled a little powder and did not think much of it. Primers started hanging up. After checking the usual things, I took the primer system all apart and cleaned the primer mag with just pipe cleaners, no chemicals. Cleared the problem right up.

Boolit Bub
    what he said. when I got my 1st SDB I did not clean it often and it did something similar/same thing.thats about the only problem have had. Now own 3 SDB,s set up in different cals.They are dependable little machines.

Boolit Buddy
    Bought it new in late 80's and it has been stored away ever since. The primers hang up in the plastic end; not in the tube.

Boolit Master
    Clean the tubes. I had eight tubes for mine and the only time they ever had a problem was when they hadn't been cleaned for a while. Are you using the weighted rod to put in the tube on top of the primers to push them down?

Boolit Buddy
    Clean the tubes?? If the primer drops all the way thru and hangs up on the plastic end (or tip) what possible good would it do to clean the (already clean)(magazine) tube???? Enlighten me, please. Not using a follower as none came with the SD (not B) when I bought it, but will probably resort to that eventually if no other solution presents nitself.

Boolit Master

Use the follower for uniform feeding , and as a visual aid for topping up , I have the low primer warning device but prefer to not use it.
    The follower rod adds just enough weight to feed through the plastic tip ,

Boolit Master
    The plastic feeding tips can become dirty as well. I did not see that your were not using the weighted follower rod. Ive never operated a Dillon press without one, but I imagine this would cause the problems you are experiencing as well.

Boolit Master
    Clean the tubes?? If the primer drops all the way thru and hangs up on the plastic end (or tip) what possible good would it do to clean the (already clean)(magazine) tube???? Enlighten me, please. Not using a follower as none came with the SD (not B) when I bought it, but will probably resort to that eventually if no other solution presents nitself.
    I bought my Square Deal around the time you did and I got the follower rod. You've answered your own question here, you're not using it and you're having a problem. If you can't find the one you had, you can make one or call Dillon and request one. Problem solved.

Boolit Master

you need the follower rod for the primer tube, and if that still doesnt make them feed thru, stick a 45acp case on the end of it for weight.

Boolit Master
    I use a steel rod with a 147gr bullet on the end as a follower. Maybe not as safe at the original plastic rod, but it works well and nobody lives above my reloading bench.

Boolit Buddy
    Is there a primer following rod? Weigh it down a bit?

The knurled retainer for the tube doesn’t need to be tight. If you crank down on it, it will distort the plastic tip and cause malfunctions.

I keep mine so loose the low primer alarm is the only thing preventing it from backing out further. Not even two fingers tight, rather loose. Mine are well over 30 years old now and are quite reliable, wish it didn’t take me as long as it did to run them loose but Internet reloading forums didn’t exist back then.

Once you mess up a tip, swap it out, they are not known for curing themselves.

Boolit Master
    Plus 1 on the follower rod. I put a 25 acp case on top of mine to give it a little extra weight, too. That follow rod is shipped with the press for a reason.

Boolit Buddy
    My press dates back to the '80's and no follower rod was included nor was there one called out on the included (with press) parts diagram. Dillon tech allowed as follower rod was included when low primer signalling device was added after the initial introduction of the SD. The tech said the follower was not necessary for the operation of the priming system which is why I posed the original question with the caveat "other than a follower rod". I did make up a wooden dowel follower with a weighted top and priming system works satisfactorily but still am curious as to why primers hang up with no follower...

Quote Originally Posted by JRLesan View Post
    I did make up a wooden dowel follower with a weighted top and priming system works satisfactorily but still am curious as to why primers hang up with no follower...
    Because there has to be enough resistance so that when the tube is full they all don't just spill out all over the table.

Boolit Buddy
    Mag tube is not filled outside of magazine. You know not what you are talking about...

Take the end off, fill the primer tube and see if it doesn't act like a straw. Dumping primers all over the floor.

Boolit Buddy
    Who said anything about taking the end off???? Obviously, without the end primers would fall thru but not I nor anyone else said anything about removing the end.

Boolit Master

He is saying that there is a certain amount of resistance at the bottom where the fingers are, needs a little weight to push them down , I use the plastic follower and it works , when there is a issue as has been discussed with plastic tips fingers , replace with a new one .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast