MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Square Deal

Boolit Master
    think about it,98 primers weigh alot more than 2.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    think about it,98 primers weigh alot more than 2.
    Good point , all of my primer feeders need some extra primers in them.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    The knurled retainer for the tube doesn’t need to be tight. If you crank down on it, it will distort the plastic tip and cause malfunctions.

I keep mine so loose the low primer alarm is the only thing preventing it from backing out further. Not even two fingers tight, rather loose. Mine are well over 30 years old now and are quite reliable, wish it didn’t take me as long as it did to run them loose but Internet reloading forums didn’t exist back then.

Once you mess up a tip, swap it out, they are not known for curing themselves.
    Yup. I went through three plastic tips, and managed to blow up a primer on my 1050 because of plastic tip problems before I learned that ever-so-important tip Mr. Morris gives: Don't tighten down the knurled cap. Leave it loose.

Nearly every primer malfunction I've had on all three of my Dillon presses (my Dad's 1980's vintage 550, my own 550 and 1050) were caused by that plastic tip. And most of those plastic tip problems were due to me tightening up that knurled primer tube cap.

It's a pretty good idea to keep extra plastic primer tube tips on hand. Both for your primer pickup tubes, and for the internal tube magazine on the press itself.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Master
    I don’t know how the plastic tips deteriorate and cause problems, but they do. On my SDB they last at least 5,000 but rarely more than 20,000 rounds; the fix is easy. The mechanism for the 650 is better IMO.

Boolit Master
    I didn't even know that the priming system ever came without the rod. Always having used one, I don't recall ever having the OP's problem after more than 150K plus rounds. I've replaced the blue plastic tip twice (almost all small primers through the same tube) and the yellow pick up tips on the transfer tubes about three times each (I have twenty tubes).

I have cleaned the tube a couple times to remove priming compound residue, but only because I don't relish the idea of having a buildup of an explosive compound in there, not because of jams.

I'll have to remember that tip about not over tightening the knurled top on the primer magazine sleeve.
    Last edited by kevin c; 01-01-2020 at 03:11 AM.

I didn't even know that the priming system ever came without the rod.
    The original Square deal presses didn’t have fail safe rods (used two springs for return), low primer alarms or the rod, also had a swinging bucket underneath for the spent primers. Delrin bushings in the link arms and a different frame that didn’t have a gusset in the rear, were also differences.

They cost $130 back then. As Dillon added the features they did send all the parts to me for free, except for the frame. They told me if I ever broke one of mine they would replace it with the new one but I never have.

i have 2 sdb's one is an older model the other only a few years old and one XL650, all have a low primer alarm and primer follower rods, i've weighted all 3 followers with fired 45colt cases containing a 240gr 44cal cast boolit. unless a primer has turned sideways in the feed tube due to a tip on the pickup tube not being seated on the aluminum tube corectly ive had no problems with the last 2 primers not feeding.

Boolit Master

You just need a little weight on the primers to push them all the way through, which is why it works until the last 2-3 primers, all the weight is gone. So, maybe it came with the rod and maybe it didn't, why not just get one and see if it fixes your problem. Why are you so resistant to a simple fix? FWIW, I have had my first 550 for 22 years and have loaded tens of thousands of rounds with it and have never replaced the plastic tip on mine, and it works fine, as long as everything is clean.

Should at least feel better that it's not like the Lee and stops feeding with a half dozen or so still in the chute. At least with the Lee I can just pull the tray, dump another sleeve of primers in and be back on my way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    The original Square deal presses didn’t have fail safe rods (used two springs for return), low primer alarms or the rod, also had a swinging bucket underneath for the spent primers. Delrin bushings in the link arms and a different frame that didn’t have a gusset in the rear, were also differences.

They cost $130 back then. As Dillon added the features they did send all the parts to me for free, except for the frame. They told me if I ever broke one of mine they would replace it with the new one but I never have.
    OK, now I remember: my Square Deal "B" actually is one of the older models with the return springs and the primer catch bucket, but I ordered it with the low primer warning system. I eventually stopped using the warning system, since I leave the follower rod in place and use its descent to track the primers left in the tube. It's been 25 odd years and I plain forgot that the rod came with the warning system, not as part of the original press.

I rigged a funnel under the press that empties into a bottle for spent primers, meaning that now I empty the container every four or five thousand rounds instead of every few hundred. The press wears a fail safe return system now, and Dillon has replaced every part of the press over the past twenty five plus years except for the ram and the dies. In my pile of spare parts for the press I think I still have one or two of the Delrin arm bushings that the brass ones replaced.
    Last edited by kevin c; 01-03-2020 at 04:35 AM.

Banned

I use the standard plastic Dillon follower rod but I glue a 45 acp fired case on top of it. I use the same on my 550 too. but it was back in the square deal days that I found it was a benefit.

OK, now I remember: my Square Deal "B" actually is one of the older models with the return springs and the primer catch bucket, but I ordered it with the low primer warning system.
    The first “B” (not sure of the year but they were still operation out of the 7422 E Butherus drive location) was like the original except it came with a return bracket that fit between the spent primer chute and the ram and low powder alarm. The “PMS” rod was there to return the powder bar closed if it got stuck and the springs couldn’t do the job.

It did not prevent short stroke double charges like the later versions do, the later versions of the powder measure linkage do and also don’t have the springs because they are unnecessary. They had not yet updated the frame with the rear support, with the first “B”’s

If I hadn’t already used up my allotted uploads I could post some photos of the differences.
    Last edited by jmorris; 01-03-2020 at 10:42 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12