WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Shiloh or C Sharps

C.Sharps or Shiloh? With no hesitation I can say I'd like to have at least one of each!

sharps slug revisited

Projects get put on the back burner but never forgotten. Been busy with a .444 black powder roller. This is a prototype 12 ga cardboard sabot and its alumnium model with .50-90 bullet. Not perfect but good enough until I get around to custom ordering paper tubes. In talks with ballard about a slug gun in 20 ga using same design. Never say CAN'T!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-03-14 19.47.03.jpg   2012-03-14 21.09.40.jpg  

Boolit Master

c-sharpe still uses badger barrels

Boolit Master
    I prefer the C. Sharps, one of the reasons is/was the Badger barrels however....Badger sold out and is only doing military work and not supplying the BPCR world, I don't know where that leaves C. Sharps.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by wgr View Post
    c-sharpe still uses badger barrels
    If any Badger barrels are being used by C Sharps they are from old stock from before Badger was sold. Not even BAC gets any from the new owners.

Shiloh Barrels are second to none really. Shiloh stands behind their rifles like no other sharps and the stock lines of the rifle are first rate.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    I have about 150 shots through a .45 2.4" 1874 from C. Sharps. I am very happy with the rifle. It's a beautiful piece of workmanship and shoots better and better as I am able to load what it likes. I was not at all happy with their customer service. Long story short I picked up my rifle 2 months after it shipped because nobody at C. Sharps could be bother to call me to tell me it had shipped. They also didn't include any contact information for me so that the FFL holder could contact me when they received the package. I was simply expected to call C. Sharps and/or the FFL holder regularly to ask if it shipped/had arrived yet. Pathetic.

If I buy another rifle like this, it will either be used or from shiloh.

Need a new barrel company....honey badger barrels! Btw didn't MAST sell out as well?
    Last edited by appleseedgunsmith; 03-15-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I see someone posted the other day on bpcr.net that Badger had sold again and so now Ernie will be back making bpcr barrels. Can't remember the name of the outfit that owns it but, it starts with a W and is based out of Conneticut.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Quote Originally Posted by PanaDP View Post
    I have about 150 shots through a .45 2.4" 1874 from C. Sharps. I am very happy with the rifle. It's a beautiful piece of workmanship and shoots better and better as I am able to load what it likes. I was not at all happy with their customer service. Long story short I picked up my rifle 2 months after it shipped because nobody at C. Sharps could be bother to call me to tell me it had shipped. They also didn't include any contact information for me so that the FFL holder could contact me when they received the package. I was simply expected to call C. Sharps and/or the FFL holder regularly to ask if it shipped/had arrived yet. Pathetic.

If I buy another rifle like this, it will either be used or from shiloh.
    Seems a touch weird that your FFl would have a rifle come to him and let it sit there for a couple of months without getting ahold of somebody. Good thing the ATF didn't come inspect his records during that time. " I don't know" doesn't really qualify as an answer those boys like to hear.

Boolit Master

I've heard other folks that had complaints about C-Sharps but my interaction on 2 rifles and spares and sights has been good. I'm not as big an aficionado of the 74 as I am of the highwall hence my dealings with C-Sharps. Their wait times are also more in weeks than years and sometimes I have to strike while the iron is hot and the money is there. I have absolutely nothing against Shiloh and their rifles are pure artwork and I can't say as I've ever heard a single complaint against their customer service. For me I would probably go through Goodman to save the year or so wait on one if I decided that I had to have one. But that is just me.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    I have both a C.Sharps and a shiloh both are superb firearms. If i had to pick it would be the C.Sharps to things much better barrel and finnish on the wood. My shilohs barrel is just not up to the same quality as my C.Sharps Shiloh bbl.has two loose spots in it one 4in. from breech and one about 2in. from muzzle it shoots good but is very pickie. My C.Sharps on the other hand is more acc. and likes differnt boolits and loads way more fun to play with.

Boolit Bub
    I have a CSA (C. Sharps Arms) Model 74 and really enjoy it. It sat next to Shiloh at a recent match for over an hour so I compared them both and quite frankly the differences if any, were hard to detect. When it was shipped to me I knew the day it arrived at my FFL's gun shop and I had the gun later that day. From a business and customer service perspective, they were just fine. This is based on the initial purchase AND when I returned it to them to be re-barreled in a new chambering. I find no fault in my CSA experiences.

Boolit Buddy
    I believe when the Bryants took over Shiloh they eventually started stress relieving the barrels so there barrel quality went way up after that .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Seems a touch weird that your FFl would have a rifle come to him and let it sit there for a couple of months without getting ahold of somebody. Good thing the ATF didn't come inspect his records during that time. " I don't know" doesn't really qualify as an answer those boys like to hear.
    It is odd and I'm lucky they didn't send it back. I wasn't expecting it to be finished for some time after it actually shipped so I didn't even think to give anybody a call to ask after the gun.

They don't usually ship unless they have the recieving dealers license on hand.
    When I go my rifle they called and sent a letter to let me know it was shipping and when it got to the dealer they had the envelope inside the box with all the owner info and my name on the envelope....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    They don't usually ship unless they have the recieving dealers license on hand.
    When I go my rifle they called and sent a letter to let me know it was shipping and when it got to the dealer they had the envelope inside the box with all the owner info and my name on the envelope....
    I set them all up when I ordered the rifle with payment in full and the dealer's address, phone, license, etc. In hindsight, I should have left a reason for them to call me.

I have three C Sharps and love them all. I never had a problem with them at all and will deal with them again. John has always treated me right and his people have as well. Their rifles are top quality and show it. Great craftsmanship. Shiloh makes an outstanding product as well. I don't think you could go wrong with either on the target.
    If liberals knew what they were missing, they’d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! — James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)

ill give a short testamonial for the shiloh people.

i recently purchased a used hartford chambered in 45-120...my second 120...this rifle was a no frills rifle and around 20+ years old. the barrel and general shape and fit made me think it wasnt fired a bunch before i got my grubby hands on it. hence the small problem went undetected for all these years. there was a small amount of metal remaining in the trough area from not grinding enough out in the begining. so when i went to chamber shells in the 3 1/4 inch length it would scrape the trough but the 45-70 loaded shells would slide rite in with no problem. i was so tickled to get this shiloh that i was going to grind away with my dremel and "fix" the problem when upon suggestion i called shiloh to see if per chance they would consider doing the job for me so id have a factory finish when done. when i talked to Kirk he insisted that i send it back to him and for the inconvieniance he cut the 34 inch barrel length back to my desired 30 inch length and all for just the shipping fee to and from the shiloh factory in montana. they reshaped the trough for the long shell casings and shortened the barrel...re-cased the reciever...reblued the barrel...cut the new dovetail...and re-drilled and tapped the 2 scope mount holes in the end of the barrel for 50 dollors...[the 50 dollars was for the holes and plugs for them].

now i would be hesitant to believe that there is another company around that would never bat an eyelash at repairing a 20+ year old rifle and especially for another owner of this very nice shiloh rifle. also the work is impecable for sure. the case coloring is perfect and the bluing job is oveall done for the whole barrel as there was a couple places where gun-safe marks were left on it...and now they are gone and un-findable[[hows that for a word?]].

so after this very fine customer consideration...even tho i didnt buy the rifle from them... i am even now figuring out what my next shiloh will look like.

Boolit Grand Master

Awesome experience, bigted. Hardly surprising from what I've heard. They probably get a kick out of having an old gun in the shop.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

C. just buys parts to make a rifle, with Shiloh raw matierials go in one end and finished rifles come out the other end. Get the Shiloh, I love mine.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast