Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Shiloh or C Sharps

Boolit Bub

Shiloh or C Sharps

Hello all. I am planning on getting an 1874 Sharps. I am looking at Shiloh and C Sharps. The price seems to be the same to me or at least very close. Most of the guys I shoot with have Shiloh Sharps. I can't think of anybody that has a C Sharps except for a couple of their high walls. What do you think? I know both are great. I should mention that I will be getting 45-70, shooting cast boolits, and usually be shooting smokeless powder. I shoot mostly buffalo gong shoots as there are many of them in my area. Thanks for the help.

Boolit Buddy
    Angus
    I don't have a Shilo but do have a C. Sharps & a Pedersoli both 74's
    I am very pleased with both . last month with my 45 70 C. Sharps I shot a 4shot
    group of under 6" maybe under 5 ''at 500m 547 yds iron sights prone off of cross sticks BP load

scroll down from this thread to thread titled interesting group

Jim

Just get yourself a Sharps!!! I have found that winners have one thing in common.....They Win! Doesn't seem to matter what they are shooting. So any C-Sharps, Shiloh, or even Pedersoli will do...just as long as you are out there sending big bullets, your smile will be a "Perma-Grin"
    Last edited by freedom475; 06-10-2014 at 08:00 PM.

Angus I got a couple of boyh and there isn't a thing wrong with eiyher of them.
    One shoots as good as the other. Take your pick and buy one I guarantee you that you will be very happy with it.

Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The last rifle I bought was a C Sharps, next time it's Shilo's turn.
    If you're in a hurry to get your rifle then go with CSA, if waiting a while is ok then order the Shiloh (or see if they have anything available).
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Mold
    Angus,
    Either rifle will do. Mine , however is a Pedersoli with 10K plus rounds through it. Go over to BPCR and click pictures. Scroll down to Mygila's Pictures. The group is 4.5" wide & 4" high. at 500 meters. The bullet is a PGT @ 545 gr. over 68 gr.Goex 2F, starline brass & WLR primers. Bullet was seated to touch rifling. I wanted a Shiloh for years but couldn't come with the scratch. Bought the Ped 74 in June 1999 and never looked back. I've since learned that Pedersoli barrels are the equal of any out there. Mygila

Boolit Master
    Well I have all 3 (Shilho, C Sharps and Pedersoli) 1874. My latest one is a C Sharps I bought a year ago off the Shelf at their show room. Between the Shiloh and the C Sharps I can only say the the only difference is what Shiloh calls semi fancy wood C Sharps calls extra fancy wood. As for the mechanics and accuracy of them there is nothing to choose between them. The Pedersolis I have have excellent fit and finish for a factory rifle but the color case hardening seams a little thin to me and the wood to metal fit is just a tad looser than the big Timber Rifles. Accuracy wise their is nothing to choose between all three. I personally use my pedersolis for conditions where the rifle my experience a lot of abuse or bad weather. I would not feel as bad dinging one of them up like I would with my other sharps rifles.

Boolit Master
    Another differance I think is that C Sharps owns the copy right on the "old reliable" barrel stamping. Not important but I like seing it there just like origonal C. Sharps rifles.
    BIC/BS

That's easy to answer....buy a Ballard.

Sorry, couldn't resist that.....a buddy of mine just took delivery of a new C. Sharps 1874 and it really is a loverly looking, great shooting rifle. The last Shiloh I saw was a little rough looking, particulary the finish on the wood....have they stopped using grain sealer in Montanna?

Personally I think they both make great rifles, but would like to have C. Sharps on the receiver purley because of the historical link.
    Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Gellot Wilde View Post
    ....have they stopped using grain sealer in Montanna?
    You have to buy one of the 'optional' higher-grade finishes to get wood that doesn't look like it came from Montomery Ward. But, that 'standard' finish (to my mind) looks just right on a Quigley model.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

In Remembrance
    I don't have any C. Sharps but do have Shilohs and Pedersolis. Both of those makers shoot equally well. I HAD a Shiloh several years ago that had the "Old Reliable" stamping on the barrel, but CSA made them stop using it. I sold that rifle to a buddy who rebarreled it; I now have that barrel and am looking for something to put it on.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    Good luck on a ballard!

They don't make em anymore, left Cody Wy and are making Highwalls in DGR Calibers.

The Lunger

Boolit Master
    Shiloh rifles are a good choice. Not only a good rifle, good customer service and a web site with advice and support...and opinions and arguments!...that you'll enjoy.

C. Sharps makes some good guns, but lack the enthusiastic supporters and web site that Shiloh enjoys. They were for sale...had been listed for a long time in Cowboy Chronicle.

I visited both in 2003. Asked to look at a rifle at Shiloh and was told "walk around the counter and look at everything in the rack...and if you don't see what you want, we'll make it for you!" Looked over the guns...excellent...and went across the street to C. Sharps. They didn't even have the lights on in the showroom and didn't turn them on either! Got in the car, headed down the street and made a U-turn into Shiloh's parking lot. Asked Miss Ellen to get out a pencil and I'd like a ball cap too!

I bought a belt buckle and some other small items in 2006 at Shiloh and headed out. Then went back in and got another buckle and paid cash. I over paid by $1 and Heather Bryan like to broke her neck running out to the car to give me the $1 as I was leaving. Since the rifle purchase, I doubt that I've spent over $200 on a trip to Shiloh, but every time I go in I am greeted warmly and sincerely.

Your experience may vary, but the people at Shiloh are a big reason for their success in my opinion. All other things equal, my business goes to people I like; people who support the sport they supply and participate in.
    Last edited by EDK; 11-13-2008 at 08:49 PM.

Boolit Master

I'd buy a C before an S any day. Lotsa different reasons, but the biggest one is their barrels. S does not have the quality barrel that C does.

My 2 centavos

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Wasserburger View Post
    Good luck on a ballard!

They don't make em anymore, left Cody Wy and are making Highwalls in DGR Calibers.

http://www.ballardarms.com/

No, they still make 'em...am I missing something on this?

Boolit Master
    These targets were fired from a C. Sharps mod 74 in 50/90.
    All accept the upper right were at 100 yards. The upper right was at 220 yards.
    BIC/BS

That's working well then...always nice to see some good targets...the proof of the pudding so to speak.

Good stuff indeed!

Boolit Bub
    Thank you all for your suggestions. It looks like I need to buy a Shiloh and a C Sharps. I am going to a couple gun shows in the next few weeks, so I will look at those. If I don't find one I guess I will drive to Big Timber and make a decision. Thanks again.

Boolit Bub
    Just kidding, I will only buy one or the other. I'll let you know what I get. Angus

hello,
    anyone ever think of rebarreling an 1874 to 20 ga slug? i dont think that 12 ga would fit , even if it did the barrel would be pretty thin. a thick 20 ga sluggun would be awesome for deer hunting here in ohio, and with modern hyper-accurate slug ammunition you could actually use a vernier sight and extend your range a few hundred yards.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast