Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaep finishing roll crimper

Gaep finishing roll crimper

I bought one in 12 ga, love it so much, bought one in 20 ga. Makes for some really awesome shells.

She’ll on the left hasn’t been finished. She’ll in the right has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Blood Trail; 10-02-2020 at 01:50 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I just about pulled the trigger on one of the fold crimp finishers, not the roll crimp tools. As it turned out, the guy selling them, currently the only USA source of GAEP tools I could find, said he wouldn't recommend them. He just about said they were junk.

Have you ever tried the crimp finishers, or only the roll crimpers?

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I just about pulled the trigger on one of the fold crimp finishers, not the roll crimp tools. As it turned out, the guy selling them, currently the only USA source of GAEP tools I could find, said he wouldn't recommend them. He just about said they were junk.

These do both.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post

There’s another guy that’s a part of my slug reloading Facebook page that deals them. He swears by them enough that I bought a couple.

Banned

My MEC does a taper crimp like that.

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    My MEC does a taper crimp like that.
    If yours crimps look like this from a MEC, then you got something special.

Boolit Buddy
    I do like me some roll crimps though this is done with the Ballistic Products roll crimper. I do have the Gaep hull trimmer which is a fine tool.

Banned
    Good morning, the very best roll crimper is the Lyman version. I had bought the Gaep one in 20 ga it was $50 to 60 and came without the drill press adapter and I would say a piece of crap at much much higher price. A good rip off ! !

We come here to help other shooters save money on reloading etc and not waste money.

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlazingSabots View Post
    Good morning, the very best roll crimper is the Lyman version. I had bought the Gaep one in 20 ga it was $50 to 60 and came without the drill press adapter and I would say a piece of crap at much much higher price. A good rip off ! !

We come here to help other shooters save money on reloading etc and not waste money.

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    That’s really unfortunate as both mine came ready to chuck up in a drill press. You still have it? If so, I got a buyer. Btw you can buy drill adapter off eBay.

Never played with Lyman’s roll crimper. I heard they where good. Used a 2 pin roll crimper from BOI for years. Left a thick rim on the roll, but it worked.

Bought a four pin roll crimper off of the Reloaders Network and haven’t looked back. Tapers and thins the roll crimp on the mouth. I’m not sure who makes it, but it’s the bees knees.

My Pacific DL366 has a tool in the last station that puts a nice taper on the end of the hulls with a fold crimp, and it makes perfect fold crimps at about 400 per hour So does my DL266 single stage but more like 150 per hour..

I have got a Lyman Roll Crimp Tool, a single pin BPI, and one of the ones off RN, and also one of the Hand Crank Russian ones.

The BPI tool is the most consistent for me, but I can make any of them work well.. The BPI tool just sets up faster for me but it leaves a square edge on the front edge of the hull. All the rest leave some kind of radius..

On the reloaded Brenneke and Lightfield slugs below you can see the difference in the factory crimps and the BPI crimps. Both of those high end slugs come from the factory loaded in RIO hulls. I put them back in new RIO Hulls after I took them apart to see what was on the inside.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-28-2019 at 12:35 AM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    If yours crimps look like this from a MEC, then you got something special.

They look exactly like that. Just have to find the right combination and set the dies up right. Mine is a newer one but I use the older steel dies in it. That plastic crimp die is worthless.

Gaep finishing roll crimper

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    They look exactly like that. Just have to find the right combination and set the dies up right. Mine is a newer one but I use the older steel dies in it. That plastic crimp die is worthless.
    I have 8 MECs and a Dillion and while they produce good crimps, the don’t look as clean as these.

I’ll only be using the Gaep for buckshot and slugs.

Boolit Grand Master

I have 3 MECs, a Lee load all II, and a Ponsness Warren duomatic. The Ponsness Warren comes pretty close to doing that. The MEC's are not even close. I converted one to 10 gauge with the steel crimping die. It crimps quite well with Remington hulls, but it still won't match what the PW will do.

Boolit Buddy
    But finished hulls don't really need to be that perfect, all 7 of my Mec's turn out great crimps that work just fine. Can't imagine running a run of 1500 hulls through another tool just to get a perfect crimp that doesn't do anything except look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddydogs View Post
    But finished hulls don't really need to be that perfect, all 7 of my Mec's turn out great crimps that work just fine. Can't imagine running a run of 1500 hulls through another tool just to get a perfect crimp that doesn't do anything except look good.
    I can’t imagine loading 1500 rounds of slugs.

I’m trying to be as consistent as possible. Crimps are one of the most overlooked areas in terms of reloading for accuracy.

If I can do anything to make my loads better (and I’ve been quite successful in the process), then I’m all for it.

This is just a little educational post on what Gaep crumpets can do, nothing more. I’m not trying to persuade anyone to do anything, just simply posting information.

Banned

Yep. If the crimp is not done right you can go from a 2" group to 8" really fast. Or worse. 3-4 x fired cases can also ruin a group. The plastic can not hold the crimp right . I take 3x fired and set them aside for trap loads. That taper crimp also helps feeding.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post

Would you be willing to post a pic of just a crimped hull, next to one that has been finished with the gaep? So we could see side by side before & after?

Boolit Master
    I’ve got BPI roll crimper’s for the 8 and 10 gauge . Then I have Precision Reloading roll crimper’s for the 12 and 16 . The 8 gauge is used for buckshot , punkin balls , slugs and if I’m using the thicker Remington 8 gauge hulls shot as well . For the other three they’re specifically for buckshot , slugs and punkin balls .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Hello, if you buy italian, i suggest OMV. They have roll crimp dedicated to slugs, roll crimp only or roll and star crimp. I make my shotshell with a mec 600, then i run them to the roll crimper on the drill. They all come the same size. If i want to increase the combustion the powder, i roll them a bit shorter. The load that works with hot weather, often does not with col weather. So making the shell shorter increases pressure and comensates. Otherwise i would have to increase the powder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast