Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loading 7.62x54mmR ?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’d go for the new brass. Maybe you could sell half, if you don’t want to have that much invested. Also try the want to buy thread. You might get lucky and find some already shot for much less.

Boolit Master
    To me,
    The converted brass is used mostly for cast loads and just general plinking.
    It allows me to save my Boxer promise cases for more serious loading , included Cast Loads.
    That allows me to do more casual shooting , and keep the cost down.
    Plus converting the cases put money in your Knowledge Bank for other guns you may aquire that you can only get Berdan Cases for them.

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, Oregon
    when I needed 7.62x54r brass, I went and bought 100rd of ppu ammo from Cabelas. sign up for a credit card from them and use it to get the $25 gift certificate. After paying with the card immediately go to the service desk and pay off the balance on the card with cash. I think my total was about $55 after the $25 gift certificate. Been shooting the same brass for 4 years now with light plinking loads and neck sizing.
    Last edited by Ramson222; 01-23-2020 at 07:19 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramson222 View Post
    when I needed 7.62x54r brass, I went and bought 100rd of ppu ammo from Cabelas. sign up for a credit card from them and use it to get the $25 gift certificate. After paying with the card immediately go to the service desk and pay off the balance on the card with cash. I think my total was about $55 after the $25 gift certificate. Been shooting the same brass for 4 years now with light plinking loads and neck sizing.
    That's not a bad idea there. PPU is good brass and if you can find it cheaper, Cabela's/Bass Pro will price match to save you a bit more.

Even if you don't use the card, PPU is pretty decent ammo and not bad priced. I use PPU brass is several calibers and haven't had any issues with any of it.

Boolit Master
    Dang Ramson how slick are you. I think if I would stick with you I would be wearing jewels!

Fly

Boolit Bub

Ironic that I stumbled across this. I just bought a bag of new unprimed PPU brass from Grafs. It says to full length resize first, but my M44 chambered and extracted them all just fine so I gave it a go w/o the full length sizing. Using Lee hand loader (neck size only) I used Sierra SPT #2310s over 42.5 grains of IMR4895. Just got back from the range an hour ago. Here's the results:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M44 Range Handload vs. MilSurp.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	255299

Name:	Lee Loader 762x54R.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	255300

Name:	Handload 762x54R Sierra 180grain IMR4895.jpg 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	255301

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
    Ironic that I stumbled across this. I just bought a bag of new unprimed PPU brass from Grafs. It says to full length resize first, but my M44 chambered and extracted them all just fine so I gave it a go w/o the full length sizing. Using Lee hand loader (neck size only) I used Sierra SPT #2310s over 42.5 grains of IMR4895. Just got back from the range an hour ago. Here's the results:

Name:	M44 Range Handload vs. MilSurp.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	255299

Name:	Lee Loader 762x54R.jpg 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	255300

Name:	Handload 762x54R Sierra 180grain IMR4895.jpg 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	255301
    Not bad open sights at 100 yds, but I like more rounds per group 10 round preferred even 5 is better than 3 rounds. I'll wager you can shoot ten round groups smaller than that with cast bullets once you get fit and a load figured out.
    Charter Member #148

franklin,
    try shooting it with the bayonet open, thats how they were originally sighted in and most of mine shoot tighter groups with it out

I've only used the ppu brass in mine . It's been holding up fine after many reloads with no problems . I bought through powder valley for around $22 per 50

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by pacomdiver View Post
    franklin,
    try shooting it with the bayonet open, thats how they were originally sighted in and most of mine shoot tighter groups with it out
    I'll give that a try with the next set of reloads!

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Not bad open sights at 100 yds, but I like more rounds per group 10 round preferred even 5 is better than 3 rounds. I'll wager you can shoot ten round groups smaller than that with cast bullets once you get fit and a load figured out.
    Yeah, I'm heading down that path. Barrel slugs at 0.313 but have others saying I need to slug the throat. Still new to all this (CB), so trying to figure out how to do that and also how to get materials / tools to do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, I'm heading down that path. Barrel slugs at 0.313 but have others saying I need to slug the throat. Still new to all this (CB), so trying to figure out how to do that and also how to get materials / tools to do it.
    What I would do is take one of your fired brass, measure the inside of the neck and size some cast bullets to that diameter. Give that a try and see how it works, those brass you just fired should have expanded to chamber dia in the necks.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Bub
    You might consider doing a chamber cast if you're looking at throat and all. You can get cerrosafe fairly affordably to do it and it's not a complicated process. That will give you your chamber dimensions, through, and the first bit of rifling to measure.

Boolit Master
    I also have a Finn. They are not cheap, but shoot really well. I put the K31 at the top then the Finn. All the rest of my milsurps drop in after that.

I am using PPU brass. I think it came from Grafs.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    I also have a Finn. They are not cheap, but shoot really well. I put the K31 at the top then the Finn. All the rest of my milsurps drop in after that.

I am using PPU brass. I think it came from Grafs.
    I would love to get my hands on one that was reconditioned by the Finns.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I would love to get my hands on one that was reconditioned by the Finns.
    There's days I wish I hadn't gotten rid of it, but it went to a good home. I had a Finn-captured/marked M39 I found at Bass Pro of all places. Shot beautifully. I had a guy that had an extensive Finn collection and was missing an M39 that rehomed it, so it's in a good place.

Boolit Buddy
    behind the lines of enemy territory,60 miles from NYC
    Orislo(think thats the spelling) sells 1x fired ppu brass for sale on these very boards at a better price.
    search his name here. Don't bother with Berdan. I've got brass & berdan primers and its not worth the hassle to me to use them much!

Boolit Bub

In addition to the M44, I also have a Finn. Just getting back into shooting both of them and really appreciate the help / suggestions I’m getting on these boards.

Banned

Russian capture 91/30 in a Finn stock. Plain old 9130 with a pretty stock. I had a few of them. All of the ones I had were Tula's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12