Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 38 Special Bear Load

Quote Originally Posted by Dvdmacdaddy View Post
    I work for a public school, if I worked in the oil fields this thread wouldn’t have happened. I’d just go buy me a Ruger Redhawk 44mag and not even think twice about it.

I take defensive handgun classes 3-4 times a year and shoot IDPA locally 3-4 times a month. I practice a few times a month (dry fire and live fire) rotating through my carry guns/positions/holsters/clothing. I like to stay sharp and prepared.

I took the SP101 on trade for a person that owed me money. I have always loved the look and feel of the SP101, so it was a win for me.

I am researching the Keith 38/44 load data, going to try some suggestions for loads in this thread and revived a few PMs with load suggestions. Hopefully will have some time in the next few days to hit the reloading room.
    Why didn't you say that in the first place? Here I thought you were a Battle Hardened Roughneck that we could openly abuse.

It is good you know how to shoot. Generally when people put up posts like yours they are still trying to figure out which end the boolits come out of.

Since you do shoot often you can probably hit what you are aiming at, the .38 is better than nothing.BUT,,, It also it looks like you are good at Horse Trading so why not upgrade that Ruger .38 to a Ruger GP100/44. Those guns are .44 Specials but are strong enough to take anything you can put in one. You could easily get 1000 fps out of one and that's with a 260 gr boolit. The only reason I don't have one is because I have the S&W 696, but I have handled them alot, and they are great guns. Ruger made the GP44 because S&W stopped making the 696, and started making the M69 which is a similar L frame but will take .44 Mags. Not nearly as cool and they are still $1000+ guns

Granted, a well placed .38 is better than a miss with a .44, but a well placed .44 is better than a well placed .38 every day. And if you shot the GP44 in your IDPA shoots for a few months you'd wonder why you ever messed with the 38's, and you'd be able to dish out some real HP! (Horse Power not Hollow Points).

Also the prospect of using these loads in your 20" Marlin 1894 CB Short Rifle would come into play and carrying that in the great wide open with the 44 revolver would make you equal to just about any challenge including poorly outfitted Mexican Drug Mules running wild in your area.

All that said, you'll probably figure out what is best for you, and the wounds you've suffered in this thread will heal quickly.

Good Luck

Randy

''.38 HV (SPL) load for .38/44 Outdoorsman - The Firing Line Forums
    https://thefiringline.com › forums › showthread
    Feb 14, 2009 - Elmer Keith's original load for the . 38/44 was 13.5 grains of 2400 and the 173 grain Keith type bullet and standard primers. That is good for 1300 or so fps. If you back down to about 12 grains with the 158, that should give you the velocity range you are looking for and still be safe in your large frame* S&W.''
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-29-2019 at 06:24 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    USSR - These are not the case I heard of. But... A quick search shows a few, 2 recent ones being:

https://channel45news.com/2017/06/gr...van-county-pa/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ders-home.html

Someone apparently hasn't told the bears that they aren't there?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America shows stats.

Even if a bear doesn't kill you, one chomping on you and clawing you WOULD ruin your day, even tho you lived. That "desirable" to anyone here?

Boolit Master
    Consider revisiting Outpost’s reply at the beginning of this thread... Look at the very end... He has a load listed for a 190 grain bullet.
    Any person that has not TESTED 190-210 bullets in 38 Special revolvers has no idea what they are capable of, period.
    The 38 Special, even in a snubby, is capable of a lot more than most people would ever believe when using heavies, especially in a strong snubby with loads similar to those posted by Outpost.
    Anyone that hasn’t done the work simply doesn’t have a clue.

Attacks by black bears do occur:

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/MA...432734333.html

I live in bear country and we can't put our trash out the night before or the bears will spread it all over kingdom come. A few years ago my wife and I had a black bear encounter in the woods behind our house. The bear laid in wait for us, and then came up out of the brush about 20 yards away and did what is known as "posturing", which means he walked slowly back and forth in front of us, rolling his head to look at us over his shoulder. It's known as "marking his territory". We backed off and after about 15 minutes of this, he went over the side of the ridge. We waited about 10 minutes to make sure he was gone, but he was laying in the shoulder high brush and came out again at about the same distance. We again slowly backed off and he went through his posturing routine all over again, slowly walking back and forth and rolling his head to look at us.

The only gun we had with us was my Model 59, but the ornerier the bear got, the smaller the gun got. All in all, that bear kept us out there on the ridge for about 30 minutes in total. He had lost all fear of humans, which makes him a dangerous bear.

When I talked to the Game Trooper about it, he told me to take a 12 gauge loaded with slugs and put that bear down. He'd issue a depredation permit after the fact, since I'd already told him about the bear.

My wife has had several encounters with bears while walking the dogs, but they usually run off after she uses her air horn that she carries on her belt. She also carries a Detective Special, but that's mostly for coyotes and other thin skinned critters that might go after her dogs. Last year, a neighbor lost her small dog to coyotes while she was walking it on a leash. They attacked it while she was walking it, but she was able to run them off after kicking and screaming at them, but her dog didn't make it.

Living in the woods gives you new insight into what's out there, just like the cougars that tried to get another neighbor's dogs. We live among them, and unless we're prepared, our perch at the top of the food chain can be contested.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Moderator Emeritus

7 "BEAR" attacks in USA in less than 30 days (during hunting season 2018).

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/10/a-f...#axzz69YKAR1k3

the article also states the common sense that others may disagree with...
    Bear attacks are relatively rare, but in bear country, they are more common than being hit by lightning.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

ADMIN

This thread has run its course.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345