Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: metric screw source

Boolit Master

metric screw source

i have a assortment of screws that i got from brownells many years ago (american thread). does anyone know where i can an assortment of metric size screws for guns. that would be up to 4mm ande smaller??

I just looked on eBay and they sell a lot small metric screw assortments. The problem I have found is that "gun" screws are almost always a different thread pitch than what standard screws are.
    Just last week I needed a M5.5 X 1 thread screw for a French rifle. I searched everywhere and the closest I could find was a small length of all tread rod in M 5.5 diameter for $160.00. It was a screw that went from the bottom tang and is threaded into the top tang to fasten the butt stock on. I ended up tapping it M6 X 1 and using a screw from the hardware store. In this case it wasn't the thread pitch but the diameter but gun screws are usually different.

Jedman

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Our local Cardinal True Value carries gun screws in US and metric.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Coincidentally, I happen to be searching for an odd ball screw. After failing to locate one in my parts drawers and kits I visited the nearest Ace Hardware, where a fellow offered to help. When I told him that it was for a gun project he immediately led me to a box labelled "Gun Screws".
    There was quite an assortment, all blued, but not the right one. Like waksupi said, though, it's a good place to start. They do have lots and lots of screws including metric and stainless.

You just need a locally owned “real” hardware store owned by a Gun Loon,,,������
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Master
    Some countries make up their own screw sizes and thread patterns. Such as Yuogaslovia. Drill and retap time.

As stated above...Ace Hardware. Its the only remaining place anywhere nearby that carries a decent selection of screws and bolts.

Otherwise ordering an assortment "kit" from MSC or Ebay may get you what you need. Although I tend to find that the kits usually have the correct diameter, but not always the correct thread pitch. And then you may be stuck with hundreds of other fasteners you may never use.

It would be nice to find somewhere that supplies assorted screw kits that have a single diameter screw in different lengths and thread pitches for that diameter.

Boolit Buddy
    My Type 99 Arisaka has a bunch of screws that are 6 x .75mm. This is a medium thread pitch that is in between the fine and course thread that is normally found today. You can’t just buy these at the hardware store. Also these screw were staked with a punch at the factory. They were never intended to be removed. My rifle came to me free of charge in a box, in pieces. It had been disassembled, internal threads buggered up, and the screws misplaced.

Long story short, I bought taps and die nuts and made my own. I started with long 6mm hex head cap bolts. I used a drill press, a right angle grinder, a hack saw, and files. I finished with sand paper, blueing compound, and paste wax.

JM

Boolit Master
    drill and retap is still a option.

Boolit Master
    www.metricscrews.us, www.victornet.com are places for metric fasteners. Victor's carries many non-standard taps and dies, metric, English and 'American' that match up with much gunwork. Brownell's has a few.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    www.metricscrews.us, www.victornet.com are places for metric fasteners. Victor's carries many non-standard taps and dies, metric, English and 'American' that match up with much gunwork. Brownell's has a few.
    www.victornet.com is who I got my taps and dies from. The prices weren’t that high for such an rare metric size. I was very happy that they had them available.

JM