WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sisk bullets(Their old), Anyone ever heard of them??

The wonders of google-fu....

showed this link with a brief history of Sisk Bullets

http://wildcatintel.com/blog/?p=48

Boolit Mold

Sisk Bullets

Mike,
    I actually grew up in Iowa Park Texas on the Sisk bullet property. The place was literally covered with lead plates from old news paper printers. These bullets were supposedly made for safari hunts that Old Man Sisk went on in Africa.

I believe that the knob on the end of these bullets was designed to make the bullet mushroom even larger than just a standard bullet.

They were actually manufactured as late as 1972 I believe when Mr Sisk passed away. My Dad took over the business in 1976 and primarily did gun repair as a gun smith. Man you bring back some good old days a memories.

I can be contacted at jjames@flextechnow.com if you want to know more.

John

Boolit Master
    I used the 22cal 50 gr in my 222. They shot well, sure brings back memories.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargar View Post
    Ralph Sisk produced only 22 caliber jacketed bullets and did so in many weights and shapes. All of his bullets were hand swaged on presses like the RCBS A2. IIRC he used Bahler and Astles dies.
    I believe he also made .17 caliber bullets since I still have a box of them.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on the 17's - I have a couple of them myself. IIRC - solid copper wire with a divot in the tip.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Seem to remember that Remington used his bullets for accuracy tests back in the day. I have several full boxes and a few partials, wondered about the "mushroom" tips on some.

I bought .172 bullets from Ralph B back in the 60's for my 17-223 made by Ackley. The barrel is inscribed " Custom made for Dave Wolfe by P.O. Ackley" and is listed on Ackley's Volume 2 handbook on pages 112 & 113 as one of a kind.

Boolit Mold
    My Dad & Grandfather & I used the Sisk Bullets all thru the 1950's, with very good success in my & Dad's .222's, & in my Pap's .220 Swift. Here are some pic's.

Last edited by 41 Magnum; 02-01-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    Any of you guys have any Sisk .228" bullets they want to part with? I have a Savage 1899H in .22 HiPower that simply loves them!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenbarb View Post
    Does anyone know what the deal is with the round ball type extended tip on them? Im thinking their a varmint bullet but never saw this type before and its odd. I think I got a few hundred of that type and a few hundred of their hollow points in reloads. Guess I will see what their worth and if anyone knows where theirs any for sale to compare please let me know. Thanks.
    until the 1980's (the advent if the internet) most smaller bullet makers didn't have access to ballistic profile calculators, so they would just follow old designs, or make up cool looking new designs of their own and claim the moon for performance. frank herter was famous for this, but then, he was a hell of a story teller... do a search for herter sonic bullet and you'll see what i mean.

Boolit Mold
    I live in Iowa Park, Tex

I bought Sisk bullets for a .22 hornet I loaded and shot varmints with from Roy Vinson's gun shop and range west of Tyler Texas back in the late fifties and sixties. Mr Roy had a nieced, as I remember, in Iowa Park and used to stop and pick up bullets to sell and use in his .220 Swift he shot. I think I still have an original box somewhere with a few HP Hornet bullets remaining. Had not thought of them in years and I dropped the Hornet and started experimenting with light .25 cal loads in a .257 Roberts. Now I am back to shooting Hornets along with the .257 Roberts from back then.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12