Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eastwood Powder

Eastwood Powder

Well it looks like I am going to get into powder coating. My wife bought me two pounds of Eastwood powder off of Amazon. She said now one else in town had any, so she went there.

Is Eastwood like Harbor Freight or better?

ACC

Boolit Master

I started with Eastwood powder before I heard of Smoke or any others. I have very good results with Ford Light Blue, Red wagon, and Mirror Black.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Banned
    Eastwood powder is one of the better powders, Ford light Blue is a go to when other powders aren't working to well.

Boolit Master

Eastwood Ford Light Blue is 4 times the cost of china freight and 100 times better. Don't waste your time on harbor freight powders.

Boolit Master
    Thread just cost me 13.99.........

Banned
    Aaaahhhh but you wont regret the money spent.

Boolit Master
    I started with HF cause it was cheap, only color that really worked and coated well was red. The white and yellow not so good. Ordered from Eastwood and ford light blue worked very well. Ordered from Smoke and JD Green working good will be trying others when I get more containers to test with, also using the poly beads for static.

Boolit Bub
    When I started powder coating about 5 years ago i tried HF once. Tried to get it to stick and cover 2-3 different ways and had no luck. I went to a local Powder coated here in town and he guided me and also would sell me his (end of the run) powders that he had. I would usually get 3-4 lbs for $20. This was all Prismatic Powder. About a year ago he retired, I tried some stuff from The Powdercoat Store, I like it.

Boolit Master

It's GREAT STUFF.
    SO IS SMOKE'S POWDER.

Throw the hf in the trash !
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned
    Almost all polyester HIGH GLOSS powder works well many of the whites, off whites, yellows have a hard time covering ASBBDT. Mix a little of another color in with the light color and bingo--- good coverage.
    Eastwood is a commercial, high-quality powder.

Well my wife bought it for me off of Amazon, so there was no postage. If it works out I will buy some Smokes next time.

ACC

Boolit Master
    All powders will spray coat but not all powders will tumble coat, which is the method most used here. If the Eastwood powder is a solid color and not yellow, it should work as they sell quality powders as do many other outlets. But realize Eastwood sells to professional coaters and they don't tumble coat bullets, they spray objects.

The reason I recommend Smoke to those first starting out is you will get a powder that has been proven to work, so the biggest mistake you can make (bad powder) to begin with is eliminated. After you do a few runs of the process then if you decide to branch out and it doesn't work you can see why.

Boolit Buddy
    Like many others I started with HF Red and it worked just OK. If I did them twice they were much nicer for sure but that ends up being more work. I went with Smokes for the reason posted on here - they are tested for tumbling. I really like the Carolina Blue and I have a couple pounds of Red. I ordered a lb of traffic orange for a friend as I do all his PCing and it covers but not nearly as well as the blue.

That said, I hear good things about Eastwood powders. Many years ago I was in the auto collision business and much of the paint had different names but came from the same company. If I ever heard where Smokes gets his powder, I don't recall but you can't go wrong with his product. I would highly recommend the sample packs because there are some differences in colors and how they cover. Next time, if there is one, I will get the clear. Right now I have three lbs and he told me a lb would do 10,000 or more bullets. That's a bunch

And you are blessed to have a wife that will order PC for you. Mine got me an oven last Christmas and a hot plate this year. She would never get PC but she does often surprise me.

Boolit Man
    Eastwood powder is pretty good.had good luck with it.
    But like most people on here,I use powder by the pound with best results.

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red_Lee_356_102_1R.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	253879
    If you decide to throw the HF Red in the trash, please throw it my way. I would hate to see good powder go to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerboy View Post

Name:	Red_Lee_356_102_1R.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	253879
    If you decide to throw the HF Red in the trash, please throw it my way. I would hate to see good powder go to waste.
    Unfortunately, according the HF headquarters, red is gone, so is yellow, so you have a choice of white or black. Talked to them today about something else.

ACC

Boolit Master
    Powder is like buying ink for counterfeit money, a little goes a long ways so a somewhat more expensive powder that works well is the true bargain.

My limited experience plus the many threads here at boolits puts it’s money on Smoke .... real money that is ...

I was just kidding on the counterfeit jab .... really guys .....

...... honey, are those blue lights coming up the driveway ....

.... WOW they really are “listening” aren’t they?

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    Unfortunately, according the HF headquarters, red is gone, so is yellow, so you have a choice of white or black. Talked to them today about something else.

ACC
    yea, I heard that. That is why whenever someone says they are going to throw a pound of red in the trash I cringe. I have 3 pounds of red, I should be set for life. Such a small amount is used, plus I've picked up the color bug and have purchased some colors from Smoke and off Epay. You can actually see the corner of a "School Bus Yellow" slug in the right of the picture. I'm getting to really like that yellow.

Boolit Bub

Name:	Wad Cutters.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	254022

Name:	Green_Lee_452_300.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	254023
    Oh, and don't forget to pick up some Zombie Green!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Thread just cost me 13.99.........
    I hear you. I want to go out and get some light blue now. But HAVE colors I haven't even used yet!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast