Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carnivore deer

Awhile back I was reading about people studying song birds. They put up nets to catch birds. They cme back and holes torn in the nets. They fixed nets and it happened again. Fixed nets and put up cameras to see what was happening.
    The cameras showed deer eating the birds caught in the nets.
    Leo

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    I am seeing the same here in Michigan I am glad you posted as some people think I am nuts - well for repeating my observation of deer feeding on deer corpse!

I am 100% certain this is why CWD is spreading like it is I can not get anyone to listen they will not even look at it I have found some evidence with deer ranches on it too! When they get CWD reported the state comes in and finds dead deer that have been fed on. If this is so the states ban on feeding deer may be making problem worse instead they need to look at what in a deer's diet needs to be added to stop them eating meat! In the case of deer eating alewives on lake Michigan shore they thought there was a Phosphorous deficiency in the diet.
    Hello fellow Michigander - I agree that some diseases is indeed spread by deer eating the guts/ remains of dead deer- I’ve also seen them eat dead fish- and just read about deer eating human remains- one time in a study and one time a murder victim was dumped in a state park and according to the “experts” it was deer knawing on he bones.
    I laugh at the baiting ban- I can on any given day sit in my stand and see- 3-4 deer eating aco is, eating pieces that fall from the others mouths- and lick each other’s faces multiple times. Also
    At my old hunting grounds- there was a recently dried up lake bed- the deer and other animals ate the soft dirt, saw it several times- don’t know if it was for calcium or what but where they did eat the ground half dozen deer would have their heads in the same hole.

Boolit Master
    There is a old oil well site on our farm and the deer wear it out for minerals...?

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    I have not seen that but I hunt public land 99 % of the time and coyotes are usually on the gut pile before you are far down the road. I would think they are missing something in their diet that is supplemented by inards? Years ago something would go through our garden and bite the green tomatoes in half, spitting the one half out, wasting it all. On the same nights all of the jalepenos would be eaten right to the stem, irritating. I caught the culprit after a few weeks, a mule deer doe would go over the chain link fence to get her "taco" on!
    Did you have her with salsa ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    I saw that same deer on Netflix — Train to Busan. Started the whole zombie apocalypse! Good movie!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I was on the beach on one of the barrier islands coastal Georgia, I was surprised to see deer prints on the edge of saltwater, then even more eye opening when I found a big horseshoe crab all eaten up by deer, fresh prints all around it like a party went on.

Boolit Mold
    Last year I had otters in my pond. I put up a camera on a toilet and got pics of deer eating the scales and left over fish. I have also noticed they are attracted to some coyote baits. They will come stand around and dig at the dirt hole until they set the trap off.

Moderator Emeritus

Most all critters (including Cervidae (aka deer) and even humans ) have starvation death as one of their main avoidances. Hence, if it might be edible, and one is hungry enough... "why not?". There is learning associated with this though, ranging from, say, which mushroom is yummy versus the "Angel of Death" species, and goes further into PARTS of something possibly edible. Coming to mind is the Fugu -- a Japanese puffer fish which is purportedly quite delicious -- except for its liver which contains quite lethal amounts of the poison tetrodotoxin.
    Similarly, of -- in the scope of time -- recent awareness, is a much more insidious threat. To wit, it is the dreaded bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), aka Mad Cow Disease, where an abnormal protein called a prion isn't contagious at all, but it always kills the animals that get it as well as humans too— a rare occurrence— in the form of new variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. The thoughts re this is most any critter may safely eat pretty much any/all body parts of another, EXCEPT.... "Except" what??? The theory is BSE prion containing parts include most infectious organs— where BSE prions cluster— which are the brain and spinal cord, followed, on a less infectious level, the pineal, pituitary, and adrenal glands, spleen, tonsils, placenta, lymph nodes, ileum, part of the colon, dura mater, and cerebrospinal fluid. Less infectious still are the distal colon, nasal mucosa, sciatic nerve, bone marrow, liver, lung, pancreas, and thymus gland.
    Deer (and cows) are generally herbivores. But, when hunger mandates they do (generally with little harm or chance of BSE) eat the meat of birds, fish, and other mammals. Sadly, a lot of man-made commercial feed includes ground up carcasses. -- which includes organs -- the above mentioned cerebrospinal and similar parts infected with the highly contagious when ingested BSE causing prion.
    This is one (the main) reason (general) deer feeding is outlawed in many regions (including New York State as a whole). No, deer are not believed to contract BSE from a bale of alfalfa; but... store-bought "deer food" with spinal cord remains of other critters in it?
    I know I have been (hopefully) a lot "smarter" in my deer butchering armed with this awareness.
    geo

Boolit Master
    I wonder, of all the mentions of deer eating meat, or, remains, what time of year was that sighting?
    Was it in the winter season of no vegetation?
    Was it in the summer season of foliage greens?

Boolit Buddy
    One instance was early fall with lots of green still around. The other was just a couple of weeks ago with no green but plenty of grain in the fields for deer to eat.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    I wonder, of all the mentions of deer eating meat, or, remains, what time of year was that sighting?
    Was it in the winter season of no vegetation?
    Was it in the summer season of foliage greens?
    I have only looked in Winter as I rarely have cameras out in summer then there is the ability to read tracks much better in the snow rather then in ground growth.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Hello fellow Michigander - I agree that some diseases is indeed spread by deer eating the guts/ remains of dead deer- I’ve also seen them eat dead fish- and just read about deer eating human remains- one time in a study and one time a murder victim was dumped in a state park and according to the “experts” it was deer knawing on he bones.
    I laugh at the baiting ban- I can on any given day sit in my stand and see- 3-4 deer eating aco is, eating pieces that fall from the others mouths- and lick each other’s faces multiple times. Also
    At my old hunting grounds- there was a recently dried up lake bed- the deer and other animals ate the soft dirt, saw it several times- don’t know if it was for calcium or what but where they did eat the ground half dozen deer would have their heads in the same hole.
    I know I saw a site like that in Lapeer state game area (at one time it was called bass lake) where a lake dried up and deer were rooting in the muck I too wondered just what they were after . As far as deer licking one another they are very social if that is all it took they would be gone in huge areas every winter they bunch up in herds any place there is deep snow . Just Now in my back yard with a foot of snow on the ground two are lying there watching my house now it is 45 minutes after light in the morning and 8 degrees.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    “The theory is BSE prion containing parts include most infectious organs— where BSE prions cluster— which are the brain and spinal cord, followed, on a less infectious level, the pineal, pituitary, and adrenal glands, spleen, tonsils, placenta, lymph nodes, ileum, part of the colon, dura mater, and cerebrospinal fluid. Less infectious still are the distal colon, nasal mucosa, sciatic nerve, bone marrow, liver, lung, pancreas, and thymus gland.“

Guess I’ll quit eating chorizo.

They will eat winter fish kill after ice out. Deer are also very hard on ground nesting birds, including grouse and pheasants, as they will eat a nest full of eggs as readily as green things in the spring. I have never seen it in print, but I think this is why our game bird populations are way down (deer numbers are way up) here in Michigan. Pheasants are almost totally gone now in the LP.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
    They will eat winter fish kill after ice out. Deer are also very hard on ground nesting birds, including grouse and pheasants, as they will eat a nest full of eggs as readily as green things in the spring. I have never seen it in print, but I think this is why our game bird populations are way down (deer numbers are way up) here in Michigan. Pheasants are almost totally gone now in the LP.
    Long before the deer population exploded the Pheasant population dropped in Macomb and Lapeer counties where I hunted it did coincide with the explosion of population of the possum in the area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12