MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Case trimmer help

I have a Lyman ez trim that is similar to the lee. I went with it over the lee because it uses standard shell holders. Well

I'm not happy with it but through modifications I will be. The problem is that the shaft that goes through the shell holder and bottoms against the case head is affected by a chamfer or radius around the primer pocket. Only a few thousands normally, but it bothers me. Well I'm modifying it to have a larger diameter head but have to modify shell holders too. I probably will do a write up on it after it's done. The issue is I don't have access to a lathe so I'm having to figure other ways. Where there's a will there's a way.

[QUOTE=Handshaker;down the internet rabbit hole researching stuff,lol. Anyone using these? Looks interesting and also chamfers and deburrs.[/QUOTE]

I use the el cheapo that's about the size of your thumb and put it in the lathe head.
    There used to be an adapter to put one in so it'd fit a drill press.

Check out the 'modern and improved' version Midway carries from Redding. It will do inside, outside,
    and has a adjustable pilot to stay centered inside the mouth, and also cut the crimp from GI primer pockets
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Handshaker View Post
    I always end up going down the internet rabbit hole researching stuff,lol. Anyone using these? ]
    Tried answering your PM, but I ain't sure it went through.
    My confuser is acting a little wonky. Let me know if ya didn't get it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes i got it and sent you a PM. thats a cool gadget got one in my cart, At OP they are 29 bucks.
    thank you
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/redding...ring-tool.html

Boolit Master

Thanks Handshaker, something else to spend money on!!
    In all serious I like that idea, I will be getting one.

Boolit Buddy
    Winger Ed gets credit for this not me. But, talking about that rabbit hole i was in.... Now i am thinking i might go with the lee quick trim system.It does it all, trim chamfer and debur on a press with a drill. My whole set up for the 4 calibers i am loading at this time under a hundo bucks. I already have the turret press and single stage for decapping. I can use the decapping press for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYPR7u7reqI
    Last edited by Handshaker; 12-27-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    So, I ended up ordering the Lee Power Deluxe Quick Trim and the dies. I will update as soon as it arrives and i have a chance to use it. I ordered the dies for 30-30, 45 colt and 45-70. I will have to order the 221 fireball and 7mm int-r directly from lee since they are special calibers they dont normally stock.
    Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Handshaker; 12-30-2019 at 11:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    I got a Lyman "Universal" trimmer and several accessories for deburr/chamfer, tungsten carbide cutter, primer pocket and flash hole uniforming, outside neck turning/inside reaming before they were painted orange - mid 70s if I remember rightly. Not without weaknesses it remains a good trimmer system.

I've tried others that are somewhat better in one respect or another but overall I still like my old gray bodied Lyman. I wouldn't suggest the Universal to serious B.R. shooters but for the rest of us I think it, especially with all of its accessory options, remains the best and most over all versatile case trimmer system available.

The "universal" in its name refers to the shell holder, it will hold on to anything - or at least anything I know of except .50 BMG.

ive had 2 lyman universal lathe type trimmers yes they cut brass off would they make cases the same length NO. ive had the lee trimmer case guages would they cut the RIGHT length NO NO NO.
    i LOVE my forster trimmers, i have one for every caliber i load, aside from auto pistol.

I get fairly consistent lengths with the Lyman universal trimmer. It has to do with consistent use of the clamp that holds the case head, and consistent pressure on the cutter handle. I generally get them right on length or within the next lowest .001. I have a good "feel" for stuff like that though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I get fairly consistent lengths with the Lyman universal trimmer. It has to do with consistent use of the clamp that holds the case head, and consistent pressure on the cutter handle. I generally get them right on length or within the next lowest .001. I have a good "feel" for stuff like that though.
    Ditto. And my Universal trimmer tends to collect tiny brass shavings where the pilot contacts the cutter face, that stuff builds up and the packed brass hold-off makes the trimmed cases slightly longer. User attention to keep that junction clean is important for consistent trims; most of the time simply withdrawing the cutter/pilot and repeating the trim is all that's required.

I've never found any accuracy benefit from cases precisely trimmed to the same length and know of no one else who has.

Boolit Buddy
    I ended up buying the lee quick trim, this thing is super cool and works great.

Boolit Master
    I have and still use an old Herter's trimmer. Looks a lot like the Forsters, in fact, the collets are interchangeable. Mine had one pilot, but since I worked in a machine shop, I made some for the other calibers I reload. I also have a Forsters I picked up at a gun show real cheap. Seller had 3 of them, must have come from a estate sale. All had labels showing the cartridge and case length. Should have bought all 3 of them.

I only load two rifle calibers. 223 & 308 I bought the Giraud Tri-way trimmers. a bit pricey but worth it to me.

https://giraudtool.com/index.html
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

I ended up buying the lee quick trim, this thing is super cool and works great.
    I agree with Handshaker, I recently switched from Hornady (lathe type) trimmer to the Lee Quick Trim & Die trimmer, best upgrade in years (IMO)

Boolit Bub
    I have used every trimmer out their and the one's I use now are Giraud or the Dillon trimmer. I hate to trim and their is less work with these tools. they cost more but it is only money and you cant take it with you.

Boolit Master
    I have used several lathe type trimmers and never was happy with the accuracy, I switched to the L E Wilson about 20 years ago and don't have any reason to go back to any thing else.

Boolit Master
    I always end up going down the internet rabbit hole researching stuff,lol. Anyone using these? Looks interesting and also chamfers and deburrs.
    https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...nt=100-028-252
    I don't use that one but I do use a similar one for my volume trimming like the 223 headed for the Dillon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMYAdkeDPBU

For the benchrest stuff I use a Wilson
    For the other stuff where I might load 25-50 rounds I use the Lyman or the Forster. Have both

Boolit Master
    I much prefer and use the Forster for most of my trimming.
    I have a full set of pilots and collets and it will trim all of the 35 or so cartridges I load except the 50-70 Govt.
    In addition it will also turn case necks. It is easy to remove the handle and install a high nut so you can drive it with a drill.

There are a lot of Forsters around I bought my first one in 1976. It is easy to find a good used one for $25.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I started out in 1975 with a Pacific trimmer. The cutter got dull and I went to the Lyman Universal.

The Lyman cutter went dull and I changed to the carbide cutter. Still using that one.

I added a Forester trimmer so I could outside neck turn. I leave my Forester unit set up for neck turning.

I bought an RCBS trimmer with the intent of adding the three way cutter to it but never got around to that.

I have several of the original Lee trimmers but do not use them much.

I ended up with three of the Wilson trimmer units. I really like them!

So here are the upsides and the downsides:

Any collet style trimmer that grabs the head of the case to hold it has a disadvantage in that your overall length will vary a bit. The plus is that a few collets cover several different case heads.

The Lee system (original) has a weakness in that they are not adjustable. If you have cases shorter than the trim length they are going to be out of spec. The plus is it is drill friendly.

The Lyman does a good many different cartridges without much fan fare with it’s universal case holder.. All you need is an appropriate pilot and chances are, you are in business. The length does vary a bit but not bad. The case mouths can be out of square but not terribly. It is just a good basic all around case trimmer.

The Wilson requires a collet that grips the body of the case for each family of cartridges but it is accurate and gives it’s user as square a case mouth as you can find with any tool. If you have a lot of different cartridges with odd body dimensions you will spend a tidy sum buying case holders. Some very straight walled cartridges will require two holders, one for fired cases and another for new/full length sized ones. Also there are likely cartridges out there that LE Wilson does not make holders for.

All said and done, I use my Lyman Universal for any length trimming that my Wilson’s are not used for. My Forester stays set up for outside neck turning. My Wilson’s get used for anything I have holders for.

My RCBS collects dust until I spring for their accessory trim head (three way blade) and my Pacific just collects dust as well.

If I use my Lee trimmer I have to sideline so many cases that are shorter than it’s set length so it just collects dust as well.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 01-27-2020 at 11:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast