Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Case trimmer help

Boolit Buddy

Case trimmer help

I am using Lee case trimmers but i have a couple of oddball calibers too like 221 fireball and 7mm int-r. Is there a good and not too expensive case trimmer that will do any caliber out there? I was looking at the Lyman universal but i am not sure it will do odd calibers. I prefer a manual crank or use a drill.
    thanks for any help.

Boolit Grand Master

The Wilson is good, as is the redding, lyman and rcbs trimmers. Make sure the Wilson has the case holders for your cartridge's though. THe others hold on the rim so as long as its a standard rim dia your good to go.

Some times mixing matching the studs on te lee can get where you need to be. On the 221 a 222 with the pin shortened to cut to correct length might work. Im not familiar with 7mm inter r so not sure what might be done there. The end of the pin against the shell holder sets cut length on the lees. On the 7mm you might need to cut a new thread and shoulder on the back also on a 7mm stud

Boolit Buddy
    Any lathe type trimmer will do the trick.I have a Lyman Accu Trimmer that I got from Midway on sale a good while back for $35,or $40 bucks,and while it is not the best quality it does come with 9 pilots,and includes 22 cal,and 7mm along with most other common diameters .It uses common type shell holders that most presses use.

The Hornady trimmer uses single stage press shell holders, has a hand crank, a wide selection of pilots,
    and you can pull the hand crank off and put the little nub in a drill.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks all, I'll think about which one to get. Does the lee cutter use your existing die from the die set?
    Last edited by Handshaker; 12-24-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Boolit Bub
    The Lee trimmer has 2 parts that has to be initially bought. The lock stud and cutter is a one time buy and can be transferred between all of the calibers. Once you have that all you need is the length gauge and shell holder for what caliber you want to trim. They give very consistent trims, compact, and inexpensive.

The Hornady does use shellholders to hold the cases, but they do have to be Hornady shellholders. The hole in the center of most all others are too small to work.

Boolit Buddy
    I have mostly lee trimmers, but i was referring to the power quick trim, not the little case trimmers.
    thank you.

Boolit Buddy
    love my Forsters.

Boolit Buddy
    If you are talking about them Lee Trimmers that work on a single stage press, I'm thinking of each caliber takes it's own special die,and you run your case up in the die,and trim it right on the press.I don't see much,if any advantage over a file trim.It would be just as messy,and case specific..It would eventually add up to more money than a conventional trimmer once you buy trimming dies for each cartridge .

Boolit Grand Master

I made one, for a 357 Herrett, several years ago. I started with a gauge for a 35 Remington, the closest thing to the correct length, and used a file and an electric drill. A lathe would have been better and faster but mine turned out ok and works. So, you might be able to do the same thing with your 7mm.

Boolit Buddy
    THanks for the info. I think i will get the lyman universal trimmer with the 9 bushings

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handshaker View Post
    THanks for the info. I think i will get the lyman universal trimmer with the 9 bushings
    That will work! Don't forget that you will need some method to measure your cases. Calipers, case gauge, ect.

Boolit Buddy
    I got that covered, i have a case gauge and digital caliper. I have already been reloading 221 fireball, 45-70 and 45 colt BP for my old army with conversion cylinder. Although not for very long. I was using those lee trimmers but dont really like them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Handshaker View Post
    There you go! Good choice!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I really like my Lyman universal trimmer. It'll trim just about anything long as you have the correct pilot. I had a couple pilots that were a little snug in the neck, I spun them in the drill and sanded them with 600 grit paper. It didn't take much. Pilots would be easy to modify by sanding or make with a lathe for an odd diameter. I didn't get the drill adapter with mine, sure would like one though.

Boolit Buddy
    Ya i was looking at the drill bit adapter but dont know why the whole spindle needs to be changed at 40 bucks! There is a screw holding the crank handle on right? Why not get a grade 10 or 12 threaded stud from the hardware store, remove the handle and some locktite and attach your cordless drill to the stud? Seems like a no brainer to me but i dont have one yet to see if this will work.

If you're happy with the Lee, either call up Lee, the will make custom case gages for any odd ball case as long as it uses a standard case head.

Another option is to make your own Lee style case gages. I've made a number of them over the years, the threaded portion is a standard thread 8-32, I think. Find a rod that is a reasonably tight fit, drill and tap for a machine screw, other end drill a 1/16" hole in the opposite end and super glue a standard RCBS straight decap pin. Grind overall length to your trim to length and thread a short piece of threaded rod into the other end.

I like fixed length gages, much easier to get repeatable results.

The highest number of case trimmed with one of my homemade case gages is 450+ cases. It was for a pair of 318 Westley Richards chambered rifles and I wanted a minimum of 200 cases per rifle.

The handle is pressed onto the shaft. I'm not sure how tightly pressed it is. The end is riveted over some. Might be a possibility to drill and tap it for a shaft.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    If you're happy with the Lee, either call up Lee, the will make custom case gages for any odd ball case as long as it uses a standard case head.

Another option is to make your own Lee style case gages. I've made a number of them over the years, the threaded portion is a standard thread 8-32, I think. Find a rod that is a reasonably tight fit, drill and tap for a machine screw, other end drill a 1/16" hole in the opposite end and super glue a standard RCBS straight decap pin. Grind overall length to your trim to length and thread a short piece of threaded rod into the other end.

I like fixed length gages, much easier to get repeatable results.

The highest number of case trimmed with one of my homemade case gages is 450+ cases. It was for a pair of 318 Westley Richards chambered rifles and I wanted a minimum of 200 cases per rifle.
    Something to think about....

Boolit Buddy
    I always end up going down the internet rabbit hole researching stuff,lol. Anyone using these? Looks interesting and also chamfers and deburrs.
    https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...nt=100-028-252

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast