Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How tight?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by John McCorkle View Post
    Oh no doubt but I've never had a second shot on deer ever...once the first bang goes off they hit the trail. Even with an autoloader it's tough to get sights back down for a well placed shot.

I do have to say though I hunt in very thick woods in Louisiana where there are plenty of places for deer to run into and hide...not open land or field. My experience may be different than some or most

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    I don't want to steal the thread, but not once a deer just standing there? I thought hard about shooting two this year muzzleloading. I shot one with the rifle at 40 yards, and another just stood there at 30. I had the scout pistol right on it. In the end I decided not to, as we had shot 4 does, no need for more.

Even as I was reloading the rifle, a third deer stood there for about 15 seconds. I doubt you could ever get a shot at a deer, reload, and get a second shot. I don't even consider reloading speed for hunting. If you use a sxs, or carry multiple guns, you can definitely get more than one. Just don't move after the shot, once they see you, they split.

It's worth noting the land I hunt sees plenty of human activity, although minimal hunting pressure. There is shooting from most neibors all year too. The deer do not give a second thought to gunfire. If you hunt heavily pressured deer, your experiences may differ.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I don't want to steal the thread, but not once a deer just standing there? I thought hard about shooting two this year muzzleloading. I shot one with the rifle at 40 yards, and another just stood there at 30. I had the scout pistol right on it. In the end I decided not to, as we had shot 4 does, no need for more.

Even as I was reloading the rifle, a third deer stood there for about 15 seconds. I doubt you could ever get a shot at a deer, reload, and get a second shot. I don't even consider reloading speed for hunting. If you use a sxs, or carry multiple guns, you can definitely get more than one. Just don't move after the shot, once they see you, they split.

It's worth noting the land I hunt sees plenty of human activity, although minimal hunting pressure. There is shooting from most neibors all year too. The deer do not give a second thought to gunfire. If you hunt heavily pressured deer, your experiences may differ.
    Not once. It may happen one day but I e never seen a group of deer not take off after the shot....

Actually now that I think of it I did once, but it was a yearling that I didn't even think about shooting. I shot a buck out of a herd and the yearling walked right up to me after I'd gone over to inspect the deer. It prob would have licked me had I not chased it off, but i wasn't thinking of it as a meat doe so I didn't think of it earlier. But for full bodied deer they all have hit the woods pretty swift... almost got a second shot on one that tripped over itself trying to run away in mud...but it was a running shot and I didn't want to risk wounding it.

I'll have to grab a few pics of the land we hunt though, it's rather remote with little human activity...and it's thick...I mean thick. So two steps and they are gone.

Last edited by John McCorkle; 12-25-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCorkle View Post
    I would think you'd want better accuracy while hunting even then while target shooting though...why wouldn't you have the same load and loading procedure for target and hunting?

If that's the case, every rifle would be a hunting rifle that you used for target shooting. Not so.

Target rifles are meticulously built, only the most AR type people require target accuracy for hunting. Minute of pie plate usually suffices. Of course, you strive for as much accuracy as you can muster, but the X ring on a deer is much bigger than the X ring on a target.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Buddy
    So I've done some research and some measuring. The blue stripe, pre-lubricated, pillow ticking patches are spec'd as 17.5 thousandths and the plain white ones are supposed to be .015. I measured the blue stripes that I have and came up with .022. I was going to buy some of the white ones, but decided to wait until I could cast up some RB using the mold my wife bought me for christmas...maybe they would be slightly smaller than the Hornady swaged balls. Less than 1 grain difference and almost identical in size too. I asked her to look through her fabric scraps and she found some sturdy cotton fabric that feels like pillow ticking and mikes at .015. I would like to try some of that before I go buy a pack of the white ones. I have a tube of bore butter that I want to use up. Should I just saturate some of the patch material with that or mix some lard 50/50 with beeswax and go au-naturale?

Banned

i don't pay too much attention to "rated patch thickness" because there are no specific standards for how to measure that thickness with regards to the measuring tool used and how to use that tool. what works best for me is to get test swatches from fabric stores and do the actual lube, load, shooting real world meaningful testing ... then stock up on the fabric that works best.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    i don't pay too much attention to "rated patch thickness" because there are no specific standards for how to measure that thickness with regards to the measuring tool used and how to use that tool. what works best for me is to get test swatches from fabric stores and do the actual lube, load, shooting real world meaningful testing ... then stock up on the fabric that works best.
    That works for me too. There are factors involved other than thickness too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12