RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: swedush CG-63 bbl.

Boolit Grand Master
    My thoughts, make of them what you will.

Headspace gauges are cheap and readily available these days; the idea of using cartridges as makeshift gauges came from the 1940's-50's when they weren't easily available. If you are spending $3-550 on a new barrel, do you really want to cheap out over $50-60?

Plus there is enough variance with the 6.5x55 brass dimensions just whose brass are you going to use as the standard?

Robert

Boolit Master

If you want to use brass as a gauge, find/acquire brass from at least 6 different manufacturers and measure them to find the longest one. Use that one with one layer of cellophane on the head of the brass as a go gauge. Then use a very gentle touch check headspace.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    i called lothar-walther in ga. about bbl fitting. the bbls. are chambered deep. what needs to be done for proper headspacing is to face off the the rear of the bbl. and sholder until proper fit. i have a southbend that can do that. this leads to a question should i choose go that route. instead of a headspace gage could i use a new brass case?? as far as how it shoots; i have shot 2- 10 shot groups with 3031 one bullet was hornady 150 gr spirepoint. the other was sierra 142 gr boattail match. each group had a cluster of 7 or 8 in 1-1/2 and 1-3/4 in with fliers bringing groups to 2-1/2+. i believe the fliers are dueto my eyesight. i'm going to work on target size and front apeture
    Here is a gauge rental for under $10: https://www.reamerrentals.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=363

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12