Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: .458 Winchester Magnum is Ohio deer legal.

So to the law makers it's a safety thing ? Stupid ! Haven't been into Ohio in a few years but from what I remember it wasn't that much different than Pa . Sure I can see in some more populated areas or counties but the entire state ! I believe there's only two counties in Pa that are shotgun MZ archery only and both are sorounding the two biggest cities . Hope it stays that way .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    So to the law makers it's a safety thing ? Stupid ! Haven't been into Ohio in a few years but from what I remember it wasn't that much different than Pa . Sure I can see in some more populated areas or counties but the entire state ! I believe there's only two counties in Pa that are shotgun MZ archery only and both are sorounding the two biggest cities . Hope it stays that way .
    I've hunted on military bases and one National Forest tract that had that restriction of shotguns or muzzle loaders. Some of the slug loadings and inline muzzle loaders now are as or more dangerous at longer ranges than some pretty good traditional deer rifles. Really doesn't make much sense, but I expect more areas will be following as the human population continues to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I've hunted on military bases and one National Forest tract that had that restriction of shotguns or muzzle loaders. Some of the slug loadings and inline muzzle loaders now are as or more dangerous at longer ranges than some pretty good traditional deer rifles. Really doesn't make much sense, but I expect more areas will be following as the human population continues to grow.
    I agree there does seem to be a trend towards this . Personally I've never been in a spot hunting where a inline muzzleloader or rifled shotgun would have been under gunned for the range I can see deer . But I sure would miss having my ever faithful deer rifle with me
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Those Ohio-type laws are ridiculous, but if I had to comply I would just opt for a 44 mag. levergun.

Boolit Master

It seems they are afraid of guns that can shoot 5-6 miles and hurt someone. Dumb as shooting at a freaking deer will not do that. They are looking at total range figures [30+%] for a caliber, never mind reality.

Boolit Buddy
    Unless they also restrict the length of the cartridge there are lots of good options in a traditional rifle. .32-40 about equals the .32 special. There's the .38-55 and .375 Win .40-60 ballard .405 winchester .444 Marlin and .45-70.
    However, my Great-Grandfathers model 92 winchester in .38-40 is not legal?!?
    I commend you for thinking outside the box with your .458.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    It may be a few more years in the future but maybe before I a too old to drag a corn cruncher through the river bottoms ILL-noise will decree straight wall cartridges legal. Out will come the 86 Winchester 50 Alaskan !
    But I agree. The "politicos" have not the slightest idea about what they sign. If some assistant thinks the bill is OK or their "fellow golf buddy" likes the bill it gets a vote...
    But fear not. The guberments of many other countries are no better. In Peru the terrible military calibers of 9mm and .223 are banned but the .308 is just fine.
    Mike in LLama Land
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banned

Straight walled cases... .351 Winchester Self Loading anyone?

Except for the .45-70, that's the only straight walled case I'd killed deer with, but it worked fine. I do tend to hunt close, though.

Boolit Master
    Most 458 Wins that I've seen are heavier than I would like to carry around in the woods. I Have a Puma 92 in 454 that throws a 320gr cast at right at 2000fps if you want to push it. I shot one deer with it using that same boolit at 1600 and it worked just fine. Thumb size hole in and out and the rifle is light ( right at 6 lbs) and handy.

Law makers shouldn't be allowed to make laws on things they know nothing about.

Nice to see folks thinking out of the box.

Boolit Master
    The 458 Win Mag is a good handgun cartridge too. In an Encore with a 14 inch barrel it ooses not as much as most people might believe compared to a 24 inch rifle. Properly set up it is heavy for a handgun but it is interesting to say the least.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 02-07-2020 at 08:21 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    44mag#1. Years and years ago I shot an XP-100 (bot action handgun) in .458 WM. The guy was going to Africa - or so he said - OMG! I shot it once. Once was enough. He had it stoked up with some monster load. Bless him. Loaded down to reality, it would have been a dandy game getter. I'm a .458 WM fan, right along with the .45-70.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234