RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Took the Marlin .410 out for a walk

Boolit Master

Took the Marlin .410 out for a walk

Deer hunting this season didn't go as I had hoped, but no sense in sitting around, so today, taking advantage of the nice weather I took my Marlin .410 out and got some squirrel hunting in, didn't see as many as I had hoped but I got this nice grey. I'll put him in the freezer and try to get more to make a stew before winter ends.

Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Banned
    Nice!

A lever action 410 has always intrigued me. And I love Marlins.

Great job and thanks for the photo.

That's the one built on the 36 action and as such is a sweet gun. The reissues, built on 45-70 size components, are heavy pigs unworthy of a hunt. In My Opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Neat old gun!

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like you had a nice walk.

Boolit Grand Master
    ?????

There is only one Marlin action long enough for 410, which is the standard 336 action. There is no other. The 30-30 and 35 Remington are chambered in it. The 45-70 is also a 336 action. The 336 action is a direct descendant of the 36 action and is very similar in size.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    ?????

There is only one Marlin action long enough for 410, which is the standard 336 action. There is no other. The 30-30 and 35 Remington are chambered in it. The 45-70 is also a 336 action. The 336 action is a direct descendant of the 36 action and is very similar in size.
    Not entirely accurate, the original 1893 and 1895 actions are long enough for a .410. Also the .45/70 1895 was not always a variation of the 336 action, it was around long before the 36 & 336 actions. The 36 action was based on the 1893, introduced in 1936 and ran until the 336 "round bolt" action was introduced in 1948. Any of these actions are long enough for a .410 levergun although only the 336 is current production and conversion of the others would come close to heresy.....maybe even a stoning offense.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

The one the op has is one of a small number built on the 36 action as dealer incentives and " company " gifts- I'm not sure if they were offered to the public but they show up and are usually priced accordingly. They are 2-1/2" chamber only IIRC. A few years back Marlin brought out a .410 lever based on the 336/1895 action with the 45-70 barrel profile. I picked one up. I put it down. No use for a heavy .410 at all. Similar to the NEF Pardner .410 built on a 12 gauge barrel profile. I hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sweet lever action rifle!
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

Boolit Grand Master
    RE, I am well aware of all of that. In my other life I moderate on the Marlinowners forum.

I was and am correctly speaking of the current Marlin levers which are based either on the 94 or 336 actions. Of the two only the 336 action is long enough for the 410. The problem TBG complains of has to due with barrel profile rather than action size. There is of course no current 45-70 action size....only a 2.570” max cartridge OAL action size which suits a lot of chamberings.

The recent Marlin 410 probably varied not all that much (there is a lot of lumber on the OP’s gun to add to the total) from the OP’s in terms of weight, but I would find a 22 inch barrel too short myself, which was the length more recently offered.

A thicker shorter barrel may be somewhat ill balanced for a shotgun.
    Last edited by 35remington; 12-30-2019 at 12:04 AM.