RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: HS-7 and ??? This is a question, not a statement

Boolit Master

HS-7 and ??? This is a question, not a statement

Is HS-7 and 571 the same powder or am I dreaming that I read that??
    Last edited by TCLouis; 12-26-2019 at 11:33 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

I have heard that also. Unfortunately both are discontinued.

Jedman

HS-7 Was good stuff. It has gone to powder heaven. In the old days I really like HS-7 in my .357 Mags.

ACC

Boolit Master
    Winchester has sort of brought it back.. with Winchester 572 which is currently available in Canister grade. I've used it for 28 gauge loading.. seems to work well. I think I loaded some for my 38 super also.

I just looked up the data for 572 on the Hodgdon data site. It gives some impressive numbers with many of the cartridges I have.

Boolit Master
    There are certain Winchester in Hodgdon powders that are identical! The one I know with absolute certain tea is win 231 and HP 38 . When in doubt call Hodgdon that’s what I did and they will tell you. I was told and I quote “ The only difference between win 231 and HP 38 is the label “. They come out of the exact same vet only difference being the packaging . Don’t know for sure about any others just the ones that affected me
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

I thought I had read in the past that they were one in the same in different packaging.

I have a good bit of both and enough of other powders that I will likely never have a reason to go buy some of the new and apparently better powders.
    Amendments

Banned

never had much luck with it in pistol caliber guns. Used it mostly for shotguns. Hs6 is a much better pistol powder. Probably why 6 is still here and 7 is gone

Boolit Grand Master

TCL you heard right. I've used it in 357(use mag primer and firm crimp) and heavy field 12 ga

HS7=W571
    HS6=W540
    H110=W296
    HP38=W231
    H414=W760
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    TCL you heard right. I've used it in 357(use mag primer and firm crimp) and heavy field 12 ga

HS7=W571
    HS6=W540
    H110=W296
    HP38=W231
    H414=W760
    This might be true now. But go back a couple of decades and you'll find they weren't the same. Especially HP38 and W231.

For suggested reading the RCBS Cast Bullet Handbook #1, or any other manuals printed before 1992.

I've got enough older manuals I ALWAYS qualify the statement that these powders are the same.

If you've got older versions of these powders make sure to use data from the time they were made.

The differences in some cases can be HUGE.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I really miss HS7. I used it in any strong pistol rounds and loved it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    This might be true now. But go back a couple of decades and you'll find they weren't the same. Especially HP38 and W231.

For suggested reading the RCBS Cast Bullet Handbook #1, or any other manuals printed before 1992.

I've got enough older manuals I ALWAYS qualify the statement that these powders are the same.

If you've got older versions of these powders make sure to use data from the time they were made.

The differences in some cases can be HUGE.
    No I don't think so, just your normal lot to lot variations My eyes were opened about 1982 by a Type 6 FFL . To this very day you will see manuals list all of the mentioned powders with different data, just your normal lot to lot variation. What you mention is just cyber hype, but hey go for it.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Lot to Lot variation in the powder and gun to gun variation in the shop developing the load data could also account for differences.
    Amendments

Boolit Grand Master

Yep loaded HS7 out of the cardboard -tin end cans same as 3# round metal cans of WIN 571, 357's never knew the difference.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    No I don't think so, just your normal lot to lot variations My eyes were opened about 1982 by a Type 6 FFL . To this very day you will see manuals list all of the mentioned powders with different data, just your normal lot to lot variation. What you mention is just cyber hype, but hey go for it.
    The CCI Cast Bullet book has HP-38 and 231 loads that are way different.

Think same powder weight but the top end load for one powder is the bottom end load for the other. The top end load for one powder is almost 100 fps different than the other. This is in .45 ACP.

The same situation happens with every cartridge where both powders are used. It's always the same powder that's the slow one.

I know about lot to lot variation. 10% is the oft repeated figure. From what I've gathered that's a worst case scenario. I've been told by people who know that the actual range is more like 5%.

If it's 10% the the range would go from 95% to 105%. The differences I'm talking about are more in the 12-15% range.

Note that all testing in a cartridge was done with the same test bed. I'll snap a picture of a couple of pages next time I'm sitting at the bench.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

Huh, never heard of a CCI cast bullet manual either, all this stuff must be way before my time
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    HS-7 is my all time favorite in .357 mag with the 358156 (w/GC) near top end. What a great combination!
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    HS-7 is my all time favorite in .357 mag with the 358156 (w/GC) near top end. What a great combination!
    It was great in 12 ga 1-1/4 oz loads too. After this thread I went digging around and found tub of Blue magic -3 3/4 dram, 1.25 oz #6 loaded w571, miss those ring necks east of here.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Man
    Hey, the HS-7 and Win 571 were the same powder in the late 70' and into the early 90's when it disappeared. It was my favorite heavy shot shell powder back then but lead was legal for ducks when I loaded these. I found 3 cans of 571 about 10 years ago and bought it because it was cheap. Then I discovered that it is a good pistol powder so it is about gone. Last week a dealer put on a sale on his slow moving stock and I asked him if he had any dusty old cans of HS-7 or 571; to my surprise he had 1# of HS-7 and some 571. Again, cheap is good. I do have the loading data from the old Winchester Powder and Reloading pamphlet from way back when.