Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Cast Bullet For Porcupine

Boolit Master

Sorry, I must throw the white flag on this one,

I can find NO reference in our Fish and Game Statutes to support this
    Please help me to believe in my un-belief.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

I can tell you that releasing one out of a #3 leg hold trap takes some concentration.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    I know that the really fine guard hair on their belly is worth a lot of money but it takes a lot of guard hair to weigh an ounce. I have a young friend who lives close by that has a technique worked out where he catches them alive & get's that valuable hair off of them & then releases them all in the same canyon every year. Makes quite a bit of money doing it but I have no idea how he does it without getting "quilled"

Dick

Legal to kill in Texas on private property.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OK, I made a mistake. I am sorry about that. On private property you can hunt them. If you get chosen for a hunt on Wild Life refuge, like the Chaparral, close to Devine, when they release you to hunt varmits, you cannot hunt porcupine. Just looked that up in the new book. I guess they want to really confuse me.

I will not be hunting them on my wife's property as they are clearing Hackberry trees for us.

ACC

Boolit Master
    Illegal to hunt in Saskatchewan, but are very hard on dogs, you have to sedate them to remove quills, if you're lucky..... and the next day they will do it again. The reason given for protection is that they can be killed with a stick and eaten if you are lost and starving in the Saskatchewan wilderness.

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats vis your porky kill! Bion, there is but one legged critter I have absolutely no use for and it IS the porcupine. I had to put aluminum flashing around an entire shed at camp to keep them from eating it. I have another shed I just built this year -- pressure treated 4 x 4's buried in ground vertically, with an old pickup truck cap atop them as a roof. New in October, they're about 1/3rd of the way through one of them. One of the valued timber at camp, too, is hemlock -- and that is believed and proven to be one of their favourite delicacies! What really works well at ranges up to ~30 yards is a .22 air rifle using hollow point field 14.3gn pellets -- each with a Zippo cigarette lighter flint pushed in the front of the pellet. At greater ranges -- 'specially when porky's up high up in a tree (usually a hemlock), all is needed is a plain-Jane .22 long rifle -- generally I use a CZ Varmint with CCI Stinger ammo. With either scenario, I either miss -- or, they drop... quite dead.
    geo

Boolit Master
    Just get a 12” crescent out and smack’em between the running lights!

No joking!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

They aren't as hard to handle as many think. My brother and I were catching them alive when we were kids. All you need to do is roll them over on their back and grab the rear leg with your hand. I have done it many times with a live porcupine...

Boolit Master
    Yes, but Shrapnel there were a lot of things you & your brother did when you were kids that WEREN'T normal, admit it buddy!!!! You probably did it with Bobcats too!

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    Yes, but Shrapnel there were a lot of things you & your brother did when you were kids that WEREN'T normal, admit it buddy!!!! You probably did it with Bobcats too!

Dick
    LOL That I can believe!

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    A car works too. LOL
    true story, my Uncle Earl swerved to nail a porcupine and got more than he expected. He had to replace all his coolant hoses.
    This is the same uncle that put chains on his tires to get the last 1/2 mile to camp but was too lazy to lock them down, which removed all his brake lines.

Moral of the story: don't drive with Uncle Earl
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

I thought that crazy stuff he did when he was a kid was with Skunks!

ACC

It seems strange but I have never seen a porcupine in Ohio. They are suppose to live in the NE part of our state but never even heard of them mentioned. I have seen them several times in Northern Michigan and many western states but by some of the replies to this thread they must not be " everywhere ".

Jedman

Boolit Grand Master

Killed many with a hammer or a shovel. Drive their nose into their brain. For shooting mostly used 22LR but they are a kill on sight animal if you live in ranch or horse country so I have killed them with centerfire rifles, shotguns and a couple with the bow.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    OK, I made a mistake. I am sorry about that. On private property you can hunt them. If you get chosen for a hunt on Wild Life refuge, like the Chaparral, close to Devine, when they release you to hunt varmits, you cannot hunt porcupine. Just looked that up in the new book. I guess they want to really confuse me.

I will not be hunting them on my wife's property as they are clearing Hackberry trees for us.

ACC
    If you ever had a dog get a hold of one, you'd rethink that.

Boolit Buddy

Tree terrorists fall easily with 150gr HP cast bullet with GC at 950 FPS outta my single shot 300 BO.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Bub
    They may like hemlock trees, but the ones I have met prefer plywood!
    We had a camp in the Adirondacks sided with plywood. I think it's the glue.
    Had to wrap the bottom four feet with sheet aluminum to keep them off!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12