Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Cast Bullet For Porcupine

Best Cast Bullet For Porcupine

I have been developing all sorts of loads for all sorts of critters. I found that to get penetration through the quills of a porcupine, you need a heavy bullet. A winchester 1895 and a 380 grain grease groove bullet will give you complete penetration...

Boolit Grand Master
    A car works too. LOL
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Interesting bit of porcupine trivia. Another is that a porcupine has a 4 foot vertical leap (couldn't believe it when I watched it leaving me giggling). Merry Christmas to all!!

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Interesting bit of porcupine trivia. Another is that a porcupine has a 4 foot vertical leap (couldn't believe it when I watched it leaving me giggling). Merry Christmas to all!!
    I wouldn't believe that myself until I shot one that was wearing Air Jordan tennis shoes...

Boolit Master
    50 bmg dont want to wound 1 might attack

Well since they are protected in Texas, they are making a quick recover, I could not say for sure, but if I was to go hunt one today, I would use my Ruger 7.62X39 rifle if I was gunna use a rifle with a 130 grain plain base bullet going about 1700 FPS. If I was using a hand gun a .357 loaded with a 125 grain cast Lee flat point going about 1450FPS would be my choice. But like I said right now they are protected in Texas. BTW, I have seen 5 or 6 out at my wife's property. They were chewing on Hackberry trees so even if I could shoot them I wouldn't since they want to help get rid of those nasty hackberry trees.

ACC

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    Well since they are protected in Texas, they are making a quick recover, I could not say for sure, but if I was to go hunt one today, I would use my Ruger 7.62X39 rifle if I was gunna use a rifle with a 130 grain plain base bullet going about 1700 FPS. If I was using a hand gun a .357 loaded with a 125 grain cast Lee flat point going about 1450FPS would be my choice. But like I said right now they are protected in Texas. BTW, I have seen 5 or 6 out at my wife's property. They were chewing on Hackberry trees so even if I could shoot them I wouldn't since they want to help get rid of those nasty hackberry trees.

ACC
    Protected? Are you sure about that? That's a new one on me.

Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    This is from the Texas Parks and Wildlife ...

Non-game animals include (but are not limited to) the following: armadillos, bobcats coyotes, flying squirrels, frogs, ground squirrels, mountain lions, porcupines, prairie dogs, rabbits, and turtles. There is no closed season on these animals and a valid hunting license is required. They may be hunted at any time by any lawful means on private property. Public hunting lands may have restrictions. The take of any nongame species for commercial purposes (sale, offer for sale, barter, or exchange) from public lands or waters is unlawful. Note: Take precautions when handling Armadillos, as they could possibly be carrying leprosy.

Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans...John Steinbeck

Banned

Curious as to why you'd shoot one, can you eat them? Are they a nuisance animal? Truthfully, I don't know much about them.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Curious as to why you'd shoot one, can you eat them? Are they a nuisance animal? Truthfully, I don't know much about them.
    If you ever get permission to hunt on private land, you will soon find out how destructive they are. Trees and cows are the worst enemy of the porcupine...

Boolit Master
    Porcupines can be surprisingly hard to kill, they are tough buggers! We find them along streams where there are lots of willows & trees. A good cast HP running 1200-1300 fps from my six guns usually quiets them right down! Years ago I worked with a old timer that the Forest Service would hire in the winter to snow shoe in the back country & kill Porcupines that were killing trees.

Dick
    Last edited by sixshot; 12-24-2019 at 11:28 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    You sure can eat them.

As a kid I used to shoot them out of the pine trees with a .22 rifle. Seldom took more than one head shot to bring them tumbling down out of the tree, DOI (dead on impact).

122 grn hollowpoint from an sks is a great porky stopping round. Just don't get too close, when the quills get blown off you may pick up a few. 200grn 44 mag works too.
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Master

Son and I doing ADC work kill them easily with a silenced 22lr pistol and rifle. Hit them in the head with a stick they die right then.

Boolit Buddy
    Several years ago my sister in law shipped her palomino gelding to her nephew east of Sheridan Wy to train for roping. Didn't take long for him to find out porcupines were trouble. Had quills in his nose and front legs. Fianlly got him healed up and turned him out again. Next morning found him with quills driven clear into the bone of his front legs. He was in bad shape and had to be put down. Not sure if there was a war on porcupines or not after that.

Boolit Buddy
    Haven't seen one here in a bunch of years so I haven't tried stewing one. But my Grampa told me they're greasy.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

To speak to a couple of posts: Yes, they are edible. I participated in eating several of them as a youngster, as shot and skinned by me, and as prepared by my mother. They taste similar, but not exactly, like roast beef. You wouldn't want to shoot them with any of the proposed larger calibers, as they're bound to end up looking like the O.P.'s specimen in the photo, and they're hard enough to skin anyway. It must be done.......carefully! They are protected in many areas because they are considered "survivor" food. If you catch them on the ground it's possible for a starving person to run them down and club them. But, where I lived at the time, they were considered to be destructive pests by the U.S. Forest Service as they destroyed many trees by eating the tender tops out of them. There was no season and no bag limit. I see them occasionally where I live now, but am not certain what their status is, and don't really plan on finding out, as I like those beef rib steaks that come in plastic trays and wrap at the supermarket. Because, "kinda like roast beef" isn't exactly like roast beef, and certainly not like steak!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006214.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	253522
    Click to enlarge.

Here's one standing on his hind legs out by the salt lick.

DG

[QUOTE=shrapnel;4790446]This is from the Texas Parks and Wildlife ...

Non-game animals include (but are not limited to) the following: armadillos, bobcats coyotes, flying squirrels, frogs, ground squirrels, mountain lions, porcupines, prairie dogs, rabbits, and turtles. There is no closed season on these animals and a valid hunting license is required. They may be hunted at any time by any lawful means on private property. Public hunting lands may have restrictions. The take of any nongame species for commercial purposes (sale, offer for sale, barter, or exchange) from public lands or waters is unlawful. Note: Take precautions when handling Armadillos, as they could possibly be carrying leprosy.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that does not say they are protected. Thats saying that if you have a license you can shoot them at any time of the year on private property

Around here we kill every one we find as they are hard on animals and wreck the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    Yep, the game warden who was so nice to visit our place Monday, remined me about it. It is in the 12.01.19 issue off the statutes.

That is December 1, 2019 version which I have not been able to find yet.

ACC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast