RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collet bullet pullers

Boolit Master

Collet bullet pullers

I am in need of a new bullet puller. The handle broke on my old inertia bullet puller. And I always thought that the inertia puller took too long and was a pain to use.
    Anyway, looking at the collet pullers on Midway, they all say not for cast bullets. I don't care if they damage the boolit as I will just throw them back in the melt pot. Is there any reason why cast boolits can't be pulled?
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

I've found that it's hard for the collet to get a good enough grip to pull the bullet, especially if there's a good roll crimp applied.

If I have a lot of cast bullet loads to pull, such as being given someone else's reloads, then I'll cut a 12 gauge plastic hull off above the metal base and put that into the threads of my Rockchucker as a thread protector where the die screws in. I cut slots in the plastic hull and flare them to hold it in place. Then I'll use a pair of pliers to grasp the cast bullet when the ram is raised to the top, and then retract the ram and pull the bullet. It's actually pretty fast that way, and the plastic hull keeps the threads from getting buggered by the pliers.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I've found that it's hard for the collet to get a good enough grip to pull the bullet, especially if there's a good roll crimp applied.

If I have a lot of cast bullet loads to pull, such as being given someone else's reloads, then I'll cut a 12 gauge plastic hull off above the metal base and put that into the threads of my Rockchucker as a thread protector where the die screws in. I cut slots in the plastic hull and flare them to hold it in place. Then I'll use a pair of pliers to grasp the cast bullet when the ram is raised to the top, and then retract the ram and pull the bullet. It's actually pretty fast that way, and the plastic hull keeps the threads from getting buggered by the pliers.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Great idea !

Boolit Master
    Thanks Fred, I will give it a try.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Buddy
    What reloader Fred said +1.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I push my rounds up through the top of the press and grip the boolit with the sidecutter on my pliers. The pliers are then laying flat across the top of the press and won't damage the threads either. Get a good deep bite on the lead with the sidecutters, since you're going to be recycling the boolit anyway.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

My collet puller is an RCBS. It will pull cast rifle bullets or longer bullets but does not work well on short pistol bullets. Its got to do with the contact or griping area.

I cut a short piece of PVC pipe to put over the ram, making a false top, and pull bullets using a pair of side cutters. Lots of different stuff besides PVC will work for this. Steel pipe, pipe couplings, ect. Longer cartridges that will stick out above the top of the press doesn't need the PVC pipe. The side cutters damage the bullet but I just recycle them.

Moderator Emeritus

I really like ReloaderFred's method!!! However, not being smart enough to think of his -- a few years back I acquired a short 1,000 loaded 10mm Auto cast rounds, which I wished to take apart. Having two different collet-types, neither functioned 95% of the time, and in the 5% when it did work -- the bullet was (imho) ruined. I "discovered" a rather costly, for what it is, gizmo called "Grip n Pull" ( https://grip-n-pull.com/products/pis...RoCmJkQAvD_BwE ). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gripper.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	253520 This device has not let me down in pulling cast bullets, and allllmost all the time they're re-loadable. Again, if I knew then what I've learned now -- I'd try ReloaderFred's trick. But -- reckoned you may have interest in a product which works pulling cast bullets.
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    I am in need of a new bullet puller. The handle broke on my old inertia bullet puller. And I always thought that the inertia puller took too long and was a pain to use.
    Anyway, looking at the collet pullers on Midway, they all say not for cast bullets. I don't care if they damage the boolit as I will just throw them back in the melt pot. Is there any reason why cast boolits can't be pulled?
    I have the RCBS bullet puller, and a couple different collets for it. Works real good on jacketed bullets, but it simply will not grab onto a cast bullet.

That Grip and Pull Is Quite the tool. At #39.99 it should be. They do make them for rifle cartridges too.
    I think the idea is sound. Wouldn't be hard to build one. Some 1/4 inch thick steel a few drill bits and a cut off wheel.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master

When pulling bullets with pliers a piece of pipe cut to fit over the shell holder and rest the pliers on saves a lot of movement and works well. The pliers aren't resting on the threads either. A cheap set of side cutters work good but destroy the bullets.

Boolit Master

I have not found collet-type pullers to work well w/ lead bullets. For that I use an inertial puller, banging it on a piece of wood--while wearing earmuffs.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I really like ReloaderFred's method!!! However, not being smart enough to think of his -- a few years back I acquired a short 1,000 loaded 10mm Auto cast rounds, which I wished to take apart. Having two different collet-types, neither functioned 95% of the time, and in the 5% when it did work -- the bullet was (imho) ruined. I "discovered" a rather costly, for what it is, gizmo called "Grip n Pull" ( https://grip-n-pull.com/products/pis...RoCmJkQAvD_BwE ). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gripper.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	253520 This device has not let me down in pulling cast bullets, and allllmost all the time they're re-loadable. Again, if I knew then what I've learned now -- I'd try ReloaderFred's trick. But -- reckoned you may have interest in a product which works pulling cast bullets.
    BEST!
    geo
    Thank you! I have a dozen bullets to pull, and just ordered one from Amazon.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

You can find these on the web and I think they are the best cast bullet puller ever made. They grab the grease groove on the down stroke and pull the bullet. You push the pulled bullet up through the puller with the next round. Very fast to use and they are made in many calibers. This one is in .257
    They are threaded for a slandered reloading die.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bulletpuller1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	253568

Name:	bulletpuller2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	253569

Boolit Master
    No those are slick. Do they work with shorter bullets? Where are they sold?
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Any size and shape bullet. No idea who may have them today. I'd do an ebay or Gunbroker search.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrob View Post
    You can find these on the web and I think they are the best cast bullet puller ever made. They grab the grease groove on the down stroke and pull the bullet. You push the pulled bullet up through the puller with the next round. Very fast to use and they are made in many calibers. This one is in .257
    They are threaded for a slandered reloading die.

Name:	bulletpuller1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	253568

Name:	bulletpuller2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	253569
    Any idea who makes them??
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    I used to have a Forster collet type bullet puller and now have the RCBS one.

I wouldn't recommend the Forster puller for cast bullets. I don't think i was ever able to successfully pull a cast bullet with it. It's also quite a pain to use because the case neck goes way up into the main body and you can't see how far down you are gripping the bullet. I destroyed several cases when i inadvertently clamped the case neck and not the bullet.

The RCBS collet puller has been great so far. I've used it on cast in several calibers and it has worked every time without damaging the bullet.
    It's also easier to use as you can see where the collet is gripping.
    I also find that the RCBS releases the captured bullet much easier.

You’d need an extended shell holder to make some of these work on top of the press. I keep a piece of aluminum tube that slips over the ram and allows the side cutter method to work under the press die holder which is required for short pistol cal mistakes.

I'm a fan of the grip n pull. Best puller. Faster than inertia, and easier (I've given myself tennis elbow from pulling 100 or so rifle rounds in a day) plus it's supposed to keep the bullet in good shape to reload again.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast