Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Collet bullet pullers

Boolit Master
    +1 for the grip N pull, it's quick and bullets are reusable.
    ukrifleman

Boolit Master
    I had a Forster bullet puller with many collets and I couldn't get it to work with jacketed bullets. I never tried it with cast. I sold it on S&S at a give-a- way price. I use an inertia puller for cast bullets.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master

I'm currently pulling down a bunch of ammo that someone gave me. It has been wet and is corroded, basically just scrap. My RCBS collet puller is working fine on the jacketed rifle bullets, 270 Win and 30-30 Win. Its also working ok on the jacketed 380's, 38 Specials and the 44's. Its not working on the 38 special lead SWC's or the lead or plated round nose bullets. On those I'm using my Lineman's pliers and a short piece of PVC pipe placed over the ram.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Any idea who makes them??
    They were made by BONANZA before Forster bought them out. There was two versions, one with a short section of 7/8"x14 threads for use in any threaded press, the other was a thin thing that slid into their Co-Ax press lock ring slot. IMHO, they were excellent devices, very fast and easy to use.

I have one of them, in .308". I'd hoped to get several more diameters but, as a young father at the time with much higher priorities on my limited funds, they disappeared from the market long before I got to it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ukrifleman View Post
    +1 for the grip N pull, it's quick and bullets are reusable.
    ukrifleman
    Mine came in the mail a couple days ago.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    Several years ago, GONRA tried EVERYTHING on 1000 + 7.62mm Tokarev LSC SMG rounds, including a couple new purchases.
    Finally my decades olde Forster Collet Puller did the job. Had to use a huge wrench on the Tee handle screw though.
    Only 4000 rds. more to go!

Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    Only 4000 rds. more to go!
    Ouch..!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Good evening,

I have a pliers style similar to the “grip and pull”. It has rings where the bullet goes, leaves marks like crimp rings on jacketed bullets but works on cast as long as it can get a grip. I ended up with 3 1/2, 5 gallon pails of rejects from a commercial loader. All new WW and Star Line brass. Pulled over 1700 45 Colt about 90% were lead 250gr boolits with a really good crimp. I had to use the side cutters and pipe method. The 3500+ 44 mags were all jacketed and easy to pull with the grip and pull style, about 2 dozen were marked too much for shooting. I haven’t started on the 45ACP or 9mm yet. Have almost a full bucket of each!!!

My experience is rifle is easy....Pistol PITA factor is high!!

Bullseye67

And as a side note......I would be very careful buying from smaller reloaded/loaders. I was checking out their loading area and noticed buckets under the loaders. I asked what were they for? They toss the loads that don’t go through quite right? Whatever that means?? The owner asked if I wanted some rejected rounds, just take them. When I pulled them apart. They had 2 different powders in some, no powder in some, compressed powder in some, no primers and bullets at different seating lengths and that was just the 45 Colt rounds. I was talking at a later date with the owner about the rejected Ammo and why so much? He looked shocked.....he said a bucket per machine a week wasn’t nearly as much as they had before. Now they only load 9mm and have abandoned multi caliber loading. I guess all the problems were from switching caliber and calibrating the machines. They load about 100K rounds a week now in 9mm.

Boolit Man
    Bonanza/Forster ....I have a set for everything from .22 to .30

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimKirk View Post
    Bonanza/Forster ....I have a set for everything from .22 to .30
    My first one I purchased years ago is a Herters made by Bonanza. The Forster collets are an exact match to the Herters ones. I'm pretty careful about not having to pull my own stuff but the last few good buys I have made have came with 500 plus rounds of reloads. l never shoot some one else's reloads and some was loaded over 20 years ago as I knew the guys. Finally the kids decided to sell the stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

Forster "Superfast" Bullet Puller-(possum type) they stopped producing them maybe 7 or 8 years ago. See them on eBay occasionally

They can be ground open to use for a larger size

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR...uperpuller.pdf
    Last edited by ReloaderFred; 01-13-2020 at 12:57 AM. Reason: ebay links aren't allowed on CB.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I've found that it's hard for the collet to get a good enough grip to pull the bullet, especially if there's a good roll crimp applied.

If I have a lot of cast bullet loads to pull, such as being given someone else's reloads, then I'll cut a 12 gauge plastic hull off above the metal base and put that into the threads of my Rockchucker as a thread protector where the die screws in. I cut slots in the plastic hull and flare them to hold it in place. Then I'll use a pair of pliers to grasp the cast bullet when the ram is raised to the top, and then retract the ram and pull the bullet. It's actually pretty fast that way, and the plastic hull keeps the threads from getting buggered by the pliers.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Helps me Fred. I never thought of that, but I will use it from now on. Thanks.

It only took my one time to slightly mess up the threads on one of my presses to look around my shop and see what I could find to protect them. I spied an empty shotgun hull and figured it was about the right size, and it was. It slipped down the first couple of times, so I cut a few little slices in one end and flared them at the top to keep the plastic from slipping. I like to use the long nose vice grip pliers for pulling cast bullets from handgun rounds, and this really worked out well. And I don't have to save the "tool" and look for it the next time. I just throw it away, and then when I need to pull some more bullets, I cut myself another "thread protector".

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master

I also scored the threads on my press by sticking the nose of a pair of pliers down through them. I was able to clean them up with a tap. I copied the idea of using a short piece of pipe from someone that posted about it on here. I've gotten to where I won't use the top of the press unless I can lay the pliers across the top. Making a homemade bushing to protect the threads is a good idea.

Boolit Master

Fred that is a really good idea using a 12 gauge hull casing as a thread protector. I had an old leather belt that was too worn out to do much with so I cut some narrow strips about 2-3" long and I simply fish a couple down along side the boolit and put my needle nose vice grips on the boolit making sure the vice grips are supported by the leather strip. I also use the narrow pieces on the rings of some of my dies that do not have wrench flats on them if and when I want to put just a bit of tightness on one of the rings. If I am careful it works to keep the die rings plier mark free. I like your shotshell casing better than my leather strip for protecting the internal threads on my press however.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I've found that it's hard for the collet to get a good enough grip to pull the bullet, especially if there's a good roll crimp applied.

If I have a lot of cast bullet loads to pull, such as being given someone else's reloads, then I'll cut a 12 gauge plastic hull off above the metal base and put that into the threads of my Rockchucker as a thread protector where the die screws in. I cut slots in the plastic hull and flare them to hold it in place. Then I'll use a pair of pliers to grasp the cast bullet when the ram is raised to the top, and then retract the ram and pull the bullet. It's actually pretty fast that way, and the plastic hull keeps the threads from getting buggered by the pliers.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Man I wish I'd known that a few weeks ago. I had a bunch of 30-06 I had loaded with recalled powder and even though it would have been fine I just figured I would pull it and save the bullets. 100 crimped 30-06 loads with an inertia puller is too much. My hand is still vibrating!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12