RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: What brand of mold do you use for master caster? Anyone have a 12ga mold for it?

Boolit Buddy

What brand of mold do you use for master caster? Anyone have a 12ga mold for it?

Just backordered my MC this morning. Looking for tips on molds for it. Accurate? Magma? Anyone else make them? Any 12 ga molds out there? MP makes a Lyman slug mold but I am not sure he could make for MC or not or even if it could work with MC due to the plug.

Most of my 100+ molds for my Bullet Master and Master Caster are Magma molds. I do have some other brands that have been converted for use on the Master Caster, such as Lyman, Saeco and RCBS. The Lyman molds generally use smaller blocks, which tend to heat up too fast in long casting sessions, but the Saeco and RCBS molds are good quality and are similar in size to the Magma molds.

I have the Lyman 12 gauge wasp waist slug mold, but it won't work on the Master Caster. Eric, at http://www.hollowpointmold.com/ does conversions for the Master Caster and Bullet Master. I don't know if he does 12 gauge molds or not, but you can always call him and find out. He's a really nice guy and does good work.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Great info! Thanks!

Boolit Master
    MP will make magma comparable mold blocks. Lyman molds are easy to adapt. RCBS not so easy to adapt because of the narrowness of the handle slot.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    Most of mine are magma ones, i recently got 2 accurate ones from a mad mate for a custom projectile for him, the quality is second to none, great machining, but you will need magma sprue plates and to tell them you want them for a master caster so they can machine it for them.

Don't get me wrong, magma ones are great, but they don't offer every weight and profile, accurate will make what you want/need. I'm going to start making .30 cals in the future, i think it's coming from accurate, as magma don't have the weight i wanted.

I have a 12 gauge mould from russia, they look like an over sized air rifle pellet, they shoot dead on, the lee ones don't seem to work very well, at least for us.

Boolit Buddy
    Great info thanks.

Any 12 ga compatible molds for Master Caster?

Boolit Master
    I doubt you will find one, as most of not all have a plug in the base? you need to pull it out and re-seat it, not sure how you'd do that with a MC

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    I doubt you will find one, as most of not all have a plug in the base? you need to pull it out and re-seat it, not sure how you'd do that with a MC
    That’s what I thought but seems like the guy at HPmold is making HP Master Caster versions. I sent him a note to see if he could convert a Lyman and he said he could try. Would be interesting. To be honest, I have been waiting for a reply from Mihec cause he has a double cavity Lyman clone to see if he can make a MC one. No reply but was sent just before holidays so maybe he is taking a break.