Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You tube video of a Magma bullet sizer automated automatic operation that's nice

Boolit Master
    Looking forward to seeing how it turns out when the sizer finally gets to you

Boolit Buddy
    Quick update:

Had two delays.
    1. Dan’s Grainger list was incorrect. He had one of the items as quantity (1) when it should have been 5. Got the other 4 today. He will update list on YouTube

2. There is a nut tack welded to a press part (forget name). The adjustment bolt that actuates the bullet feeder is threaded into that nut. Weld was bad and it fell off (while running manually as I didn’t have parts yet). I am now waiting on a replacement. Friend at work is going to weld it back (when he has time)....

But the automation system seems to be working great. I used a cheap Plano ammo can as a container for all the small parts.

I will post video soon assuming I can make proper adjustments to make it reliable.

Boolit Master
    Sounds awesome, looking forward to seeing the video.

Shame the weld broke, but sadly it happens from time to time. At least it's something simple

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by djryan13 View Post
    Quick update:

Had two delays.
    1. Dan’s Grainger list was incorrect. He had one of the items as quantity (1) when it should have been 5. Got the other 4 today. He will update list on YouTube

2. There is a nut tack welded to a press part (forget name). The adjustment bolt that actuates the bullet feeder is threaded into that nut. Weld was bad and it fell off (while running manually as I didn’t have parts yet). I am now waiting on a replacement. Friend at work is going to weld it back (when he has time)....

But the automation system seems to be working great. I used a cheap Plano ammo can as a container for all the small parts.

I will post video soon assuming I can make proper adjustments to make it reliable.
    #2 is that the custom bolt he made? The one that he ground the flats off the bolt to make it round?

Unless I missed it what did he use for the handle?

Also looking forward to the video along with an idea of how much your air compressor has to run to feed the air cylinder.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, he makes a custom bolt but it’s the nut that broke and I hadn’t installed the bolt yet as I was running manually.

My tiny air compressor does have to run a bit. I do need to play with adjustments a bit once it’s setup.

Yes, part of his kit includes a new handle so no permanent modification to press.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    #2 is that the custom bolt he made? The one that he ground the flats off the bolt to make it round?

Unless I missed it what did he use for the handle?

Also looking forward to the video along with an idea of how much your air compressor has to run to feed the air cylinder.

Banned
    Just out of idle curiosity how large is your compressor?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Just out of idle curiosity how large is your compressor?
    Maybe 6 gallon?

Boolit Buddy
    So... I got it working on Saturday... then bent the lever arm that Dan sells. He sent me a new one. It’s designed to be the weakest part so you don’t break a part on press.

I continued to run manually and also bent the manual handle... I ordered a new manual lever from Lathesmith.

I got Dan’s replacement today. I also determined that the piece is just a 3/8” course thread 6” long L shaped anchor (used for concrete). It appears to be cut down about 1/2” or so. I picked extras up at a bolt store (big box don’t typically sell these). You have to cut the threaded end so be ready with a die to fix threads.

So, what am I doing to prevent?

Dan recommends not sizing >.002 down. Not always possible as the sizing die get expensive.

I started using the bullet lube HiTek sells (which is **** IMO). That didn’t work at all. in fairness, I am sizing coated not HiTek. I will be sizing HiTek next.

I am going to try Dillon style case lube next. Tried a dab of lanolin swirled around in the bullet box and that seemed good. Dillon lube will be easier.

I am also ditching the electric timer system for now as I get more accustomed to this. Problem I see with Dan’s design is he uses a 2 position solenoid (basically all in or out). So, if you get a bullet off center, something is going to give. The off switch just leaves the pressure in either position (your choice really).

Instead, I went and bought this manual solenoid and it works well. You can pause half way down, back up a little, etc.

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...s/avs-528c1-hl

You can find cheaper ones but this one works very well.

Just my initial thoughts. Will post videos this weekend.

Boolit Master
    What if you lower the pressure to the cylinder? ideally, things should not bend if something is to jam up. My electric one will just stall the motor if something hangs up, there are parts that need to be made stronger, but that's a job for another day

Banned
    I thought I would wade in on this. I would assume most molds will throw a bullet probably no more than .002 over the finished size. I have mine picked to do this. I don't now nor will I ever use any type of bullet lube simply because in my opinion it isn't needed. Been using a Star and Magma for years with lathesmith custom sizing dies made to my specifications. No extra holes to plug. The bullets still size exactly as they did when the sizing dies were new. Now, the purpose as I see it for automation of the bullet sizer lubricator is to do the work your shoulders and arms cannot tolerate anymore. I haven't done my automation on either my bullet sizer lubricators or bullet caster yet. I finally got the sprockets and chain for the bullet caster the other day and the wife has me painting the interior of the house. Insert I am not a painter by trade here.

Now, if and I repeat the word if the bullets you are casting are too oversized then you have two options. One .... purchase a mold closer to the finished size your wanting. Two purchase a second sizing die and split the difference in the OAL so the machine doesn't break and sizing is easier with no hangups. If it were me and the bullet mold was producing good bullets I would leave that aspect of the operation alone and concentrate on simply purchasing another sizing die slightly larger so the bullet is partially sized. Partially sizing a bullet will take the excess stress off the machine and it really doesn't add that much time to the operation. Now, lets consider that you have purchased another sizing die and have it in the machine. At this point in time you have an option and that is do you want to lube on this operation? If it were me the answer simply for simplicity would be a no and I would pull off the arm that works the pump... two cotter keys if memory is correct. This allows partial sizing with no mess or fuss. You now easily size the bullets to this larger die and they have no lube on them and no potential mess to deal with. So your finished lets say with this batch the first go around. Simply push the sizing die out and insert the slightly smaller one and re-install the lube arm and size and lube again. The result will me like running a knife thru butter with no breakage of the sizing machine and or parts of the machine.

Now, if you wish to complicate things a bit at this point here is something to consider. Your first sizing operation without lube necessitates either hand picking the bullets out of a collection container or the manufacture of a bullet collection tube setup. This would consist of a collection tube with a cotter key/pin near the bottom to contain the once sized bullets nullifying the need to hand pick the bullets and re-insert them in the bullet dropping tube thus making your setup even better yet.

Take this one step farther along with the adaptation of your bullet collections tube being used in conjunction with some type of bullet dropper assembly on you reloading press and the addition of another cotter pin hole so that the bullets that are nose down in the tubes can be rotated 180 degrees and used to fill the bullet dropper tube.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the input. My molds do seem to cast big. I am hoping the Magma molds cast closer to sizer.

I should note that I don’t think the bend is happening all at once from something being stuck. I think it’s mostly a gradual thing. I did adjust pressure down.

Not sure I see a problem with using a little lube. Lot’s of folks are using it.

Banned
    Thanks for all the input. My molds do seem to cast big. I am hoping the Magma molds cast closer to sizer.

I should note that I don’t think the bend is happening all at once from something being stuck. I think it’s mostly a gradual thing. I did adjust pressure down.

Not sure I see a problem with using a little lube. Lot’s of folks are using it.
    There are videos showing people lubing approximately every 10th bullet and most use wear of the die as a reason and I have been told by some here on the forum that not lubing was going to cause my sizing die to enlarge and eventually wear out / get too large to use. My answer horse hockey as lead is far more soft than steel. A little lube certainly isn't going to hurt anything but like I mentioned is it really necessary and what are the real benefits? Does it really make sizing any better/easier? Surely re-inserting a sized lubed bullet is probably going to alter the size once it has been processed again.

As for the molds.. I've had problems with magma molds being too small. my thoughts again are simply purchase another sizing die slightly larger than what your using now simply because its probably going to be cheaper than purchasing new dies unless you use the cheap brand that I'm not going to mention. The cost of a good Magma die is roughly $100 and the cost of a new sizing die from lathesmith I would assume to be slighly more than 1/2 that amount give or take a little.

Getting back to your problem.... Its sounding to me like there is excessive force being used as well as a lack of a travel stop on the air cylinder. Would have to see it up close to judge. Did do a fair amount of pneumatic work years ago.

I will point out that years ago I sized a bunch of oversized .454 bullets in my Magma sizer and there was force needed to do it. The machine didn't bust so I would look toward a steel rod with slightly more strength than that of what your using.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks again for the thorough comments and tips.

I do encourage you to try lubing a couple bullets as it makes a huge difference. I have actually done this for a while using Lee Sizers.

As I said, HiTek sells one which didn’t really do much IMO.

Boolit Buddy
    I was hoping to make a video with the automated bullet feeder using my HiTek coated 40cal bullets but unfortunately, I couldn’t get the Star Feeder to drop them. They sold me a 9mm and 45 cal feeder and said it would work for 90% of calibers. Obviously 40 isn’t one of them. Anyone get it working?

Instead, I used my joystick and manually inserted a bunch. Sizes them fine. I am almost just as happy feeding them manually like that. Sure, you can’t walk away from it, but it’s soothing.

I will call Magma tomorrow and ask about 40...

Boolit Master
    For far too long i manually filled my feed tube before i got my collator done. Once it was made i wish i did it sooner.

Is your issue with the collator or the actual feeder part? i'd have thought the .45 one would work with .40 giving you some clearance.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    For far too long i manually filled my feed tube before i got my collator done. Once it was made i wish i did it sooner.

Is your issue with the collator or the actual feeder part? i'd have thought the .45 one would work with .40 giving you some clearance.
    The problem is the sliding bar doesn’t slide forward enough to drop the bullet in the hole.

Boolit Master
    oh.... I assume there are no linkages to adjust to give that bit of extra travel? it took me a bit of fiddling to get mine right, yet it was built from scratch, so it was all guess work

Boolit Buddy
    No, the slider is maxed out (the little pin in the rear of slider is nearly hitting the housing).

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    oh.... I assume there are no linkages to adjust to give that bit of extra travel? it took me a bit of fiddling to get mine right, yet it was built from scratch, so it was all guess work

Boolit Master
    I'm sure it's something simple, Magma will get you sorted out.

Banned
    The problem is the sliding bar doesn’t slide forward enough to drop the bullet in the hole.
    If the sliding bar isn't moving far enough then the travel is off. The air cylinder isn't retracting the modified arm enough to fully move another bullet in the slide to drop the bullet into the die. In other words your Magma/Star arm is going toward 12:00 to feed and drop a bullet. Yours is going to about 11:00 or abouts. It gets so close but runs out of travel. Modification or adjustment will be needed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast