MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Rice cooker

Boolit Man

Rice cooker

Seeing as I have more imagination than money I am always on the lookout for alternative (read:cheap) lead melting pots.

The other night the mrs was cooking rice in one of those electric rice cookers. When she was done I turned it over and read the bottom: 110v 500w. I believe some of the more common melters have 500w heating elements so perhaps this would work? Has anyone tried?

If it would work, these things are around $20 new and hold 20-30lbs lead I would say.

Squid, welcome to the forum.

I'm not familiar with rice cookers, but I have had some experience with "Fry Daddy". I imagine they're similar to your rice cooker.

The problem is the bi-metal thermostat that's factory calibrated for the desired temp. On the Fry Daddy its set at about 400deg., barely enough to melt WW but not enough to get to pouring temp.

I'd guess that your cooker is set somewhat lower than that since it just has to boil water and not cook in oil.

I bypassed the thermostat on one and was able to get well past pouring temp. in a reasonable amount of time, but didn't pursue it any further because I could visualize the plastic base melting with the higher temps and dumping a pot full of hot metal on my feet.

With a metal ring to keep the weight off the plastic base and a rheostat for a temp controller they shoud make a dandy 30-40 lb. pot.

As a safety reminder....any Teflon coating will cook off at casting temp and expose you to some VERY TOXIC fumes. So be very careful with any kitchen utensils you use for casting and smelting.

Jerry

Boolit Buddy

Smile

It won't get hot enough. Never cook in any container that has lead melted in it. Mine also has a nonstick iner surface that would be ruined melting lead.

Boolit Master

But mostly the inner pot is aluminum, and might give way if it ever actually got hot enough to hold molten lead.

In Remembrance
    Every electric rice cooker I have seen is too lightly constructed to be a good choice for melting lead. Additionally, they don't have external heat controls. The one we use is purely automatic, and adjusts temperature according to where it is in the rice cooking cycle.

But, it might have some value for making large quantities of bullet lube.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

bullet lube

I have a fryer I got in a yard sale I use to melt material for lube sticks.
    a board,steel conduit,plastic plug to mount conduit.,pull full pipe put in freezer ,remove and short broom handle to eject lube.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Grand Master

Rice cookers are too light plus they are like the old elec. percolator coffe pots. When the get to a certain temp the cut down to a warm cycle.
    Aim small, miss small!

Quote Originally Posted by sturf View Post
    It won't get hot enough. Never cook in any container that has lead melted in it. Mine also has a nonstick iner surface that would be ruined melting lead.
    I Agree. And for the cast iron cooking guys out there, be really carfeful about the CI products you buy in antique shops, yard sales, etc. These would be better for casting boolets than one of these rice cookers, but maybe not for cooking. Cast iron's porous. whose to say that way back in the day, the frying pan you're admiring in the antique shop wasn't used by great grandpa to cast up some boolets for his trusty 38-55 or 45-70 arournd deer season, or to cast a few sinkers before fishing season. Good to be careful in this regard.

I use a different thermostat control thats the type with just a high, medium and low setting and I have found that it will provide plenty of juice to melt lead and maintain a good temperature. You just have to get the right control to use it and the ones on electric grills are good to use because their made to get cherry hot for broiling.
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.