RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Any Opinion on Ladle Type?

Boolit Master

Any Opinion on Ladle Type?

I was melting some WW down in the pot this past weekend using a ancient homemade ladle. It works pretty well for volume (3 lb), but I will need to invest in a modern ladle for mold work. I have heard that the Lee Ladle was worthless, but as yet I have no opinion, and am open to suggestions. Is the RCBS model twice as good as others as its price dictates?

Let me know what you think.

Cast you later, SG

(also I just posted a Lee mold question in the mold room too...)

Moderator Emeritus
    I like the Lyman, the RCBS is very good and holds more metal. I use Rowels when casting big boolits.

I've never found a use for the Lee ladle, the wood handle off it is a handy spare for ingot moulds and such like but after that its worthless for casting.

"(also I just posted a Lee mold question in the mold room too...)"

I just posted an answer there too.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Grand Master

I call the RCBS and Lyman dippers equivalents unless you are dipping very large boolits, then the RCBS has a bit more volume. The lee ladle is an actual ladle, very small and as you've already heard, pretty much worthless.

Boolit Master

If you're using a 1 or 2 cavity mould, the Lyman or RCBS will work fine. For 6 cavity moulds I love my Rowell #1 ladle. Check out Buffaloarms.com as a source.

Boolit Master
    I have a Rowell #1 but always come back to my RCBS.

Bore the RCBS out a bit so you get higher flow rate and it is perfect for my applications !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

RCBS for pouring Boolits.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Le Loup Solitaire

Which type of ladle/dipper

Hi, The RCBS dipper is a good one, but it is somewhat more expensive than the Lyman model. They both do the same thing. I have both. Since the RCBS version has a somewhat larger capacity it would be preferable for use with really large bullets, but other than that you can use the Lyman for most of your work. The Lee is not very good except for stirring or poking around in their smaller bottom feed pot and not for serious work. If you are casting by the"connect the dipper and tip the mold" method then again a Lyman or RCBS type dipper will do fine. If you are casting by the "pour" method which is usually used to pour "going uphill" with larger gang molds, then you either need a larger dipper such as the Rowell, such as the one you already have that has a larger capacity or a ladle, (ancient ones work as well as modern ones) usually made out of cast iron. I suggest that any kind of ladle have a wooden handle on it as heat builds up even in the longest handle. They look like flat soup ladles(with the handle and the bowl on the same plane/level and usually hold a pound or two of melt. When feeding gang molds with the pour method there is often a lot of splashing and grotesque sprues until you get the rythm right, but that comes with a little practice. That also applies, whether using dippers or ladles, and the resulting bullets are all good, in fact just as good as those coming from a bottom feed pot. Enjoy casting. LLS

anachronism
    I have a Lyman, modified for left-hand casting. I looked at both ladles & decided the Lyman fit my needs better. BTW, the LEE dippers are great for skimming pots, stirring while fluxing & scraping the sides of the pots. I have several, they're really cheap to buy at gunshows because they're hopelessly inadequate for ladle casting. The handles burn off, but I replace them with pieces cut from and old wooden broomstick (ask your parents) & drilled to allow pressing the ladle into place. So I'm a cheapskate....

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the good advice. If anyone else has an opinion please chime in...

I use the Lyman for my two cavity moulds and it holds pleanty of lead. I've learned to use the RCBS for my six cavities because there is enough lead in it to fill all moulds and I think the bullets are more consistent then when I would fill four cavities and then redip to fill the other two cavities.
    Go ahead and run. You will only die tired

Banned

You'd be happy with the RCBS even with the added cost.

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS. The more lead in the ladle, the more even the temp and flow. As stated above, bore the hole out a little for heavy weight bullets. I sanded, and semi polished the rough cast surface off mine to make it stay cleaner from lead beard. I also spray a light coat of drop out to the outside for the same reason.

As a brand new user of the Lee ladle, I can certainly assure you that it's worthless. Had I even seen a picture of this thing, I would nat have bothered with it and spent the money on a RCBS ladle.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't mean to start a ruckus but...
    I have cast a few thousand 44 TLSWC with a Lee ladle and it seemed to work fine for me (at least the mold didn't know the difference!). I also cast with a Lyman dipper and bottom pour furnace, depends on how I feel at the time. I started with a Coleman stove (propane) and a home made pot using a Lee ladle. I learned to control the temp. and made a LOT of good bullets.

I find it hard to believe that so many people freely criticize Lee products; every Lee die, mold, tool, melter, sizer, powder measure, etc. that I have tried has worked pretty good for me (but then, I'm not a tool snob!)

Boolit Buddy
    "As a brand new user of the Lee ladle, I can certainly assure you that it's worthless."
    Same here, good for stirring though.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    I have a Rowell #1 but always come back to my RCBS.
    If you're looking to get rid of your Rowell, send me a PM.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Wow, I'm surprised that y'all don't care for the Lee ladle. I've been using mine so long it's on at least its third handle. Of course, just like its mold kin, it's been lee-mented. Right now its wearing a handle from an old Lee SC mold and that's working quite well. Many years ago I put a bend in the stem and that made all the difference in the world. Without the bent stem, you're right, it's worthless. From handle to the little cup is more than a 45d bend (more like a curve, not a sharp bend) which makes it easy to dip into the pot (almost all the way to the bottom of a Lee 20# electric) and pour to the mold. It's my favorite ladle, but for multi cav (more than 2) large boolit molds it is a little light on capacity, but that's okay, just fill 2 at a time. Once in a while it gets a wire brushing and then another coat of spray graphite.

I have both Ly and RCBS dippers and prefer the egg shaped Ly. I keep a drill bit in my handy tools on the casting bench that is just the right size to keep the spout clean and just ream'r out from time to time by hand. Again, a little cleaning, brushing, and a shot of spray graphite and it's ready to go.
    Last edited by sundog; 11-11-2008 at 06:36 PM.

In Remembrance

Pouring ladels

I have found the following from using all 3 brands. Take the Lee and throw it as hard and as far from your melting pot as possible, or use it to dig holes to plant flowers with. The RCBS is too long in the shank - I cut a good 1 1/2" off it - 2 areas of wierd flanges I ground off - too small a pour hole - I drilled out. After all the mods I still use it but like the Lyman best. The Lyman design has been around longer than any of us, it`s still being made to the same design from its original design so that must mean something about popularity of use, I also found that using a wooden file handle sanded and shaped to your hand is a worthwhile project to be done to any of the 3 types of ladles mentioned.

Boolit Buddy
    I cast a lot of .58 Minie Balls. I have both a RCBS and a Lyman ladel. I am pleased with both and on both, I have "drilled out" the pour spouts (thereby increasing the I.D. on the pour spouts) on both ladels.

Boolit Grand Master

I use an old plumber's ladel and pot on a propane stove. I have never gotten along with the bottom pour pots.

The ladle is about 1 lbs. capacity with 2 pouring lips. I filed a slightly smaller groove in the one I use (right handed). I've tried the Lee ladle and Lyman dipper but do not like them either. I find it easier to pour from a larger open ladle. Particularly handy when pouring 12 ga. slugs of 600 to 700 grs.!

Different strokes for different folks but that's what I like.

Longbow