Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Questions About Finding Firearms Values

Questions About Finding Firearms Values

I have reached the point where I am thinking about thinning out my limited collection.

In a recent thread someone posted that the values shown in the "Blue Book Of Gun Values" were off the mark. What are your feelings about the prices shown in the "Gun Digest Standard Catalog of Firearms Prices and Reference Guide"? Are they close to the real world or are they too way off the mark?

Another post in that same thread said it was possible to find out what things really sold for on Gun Broker. How do you do that?

Thanks to all who took the time to read this and special thanks to those who respond.

Dipperman
    "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades." D. Paulson

Boolit Buddy
    The book values are nearly always wrong in my experience.
    Go to Gunbroker, log in, go to advanced search (by clicking on the 3 horizontal lines at upper right corner), scroll down to and select completed items, enter the gun model, and search to see what guns of the same model, configuration and condition actually sold for at auction. That will give you an approximate actual market value. Usually guns seem to bring more $ on auction with wide exposure than they’ll bring in a face to face sale locally.
    Last edited by Buzz Krumhunger; 12-24-2019 at 04:54 AM.

Banned
    You need to remember that its only worth what you can get out of it. I've seen cases where a particular gun "lists" for XXXX and your lucky to get 1/2 of that on a good day. I have a Colt Match Woodsman with the bull barrel which lists for some decent money but in reality I'd be lucky to get 1/2 that price.

Boolit Master
    The "book value" is just a reference. What the gun is "worth" isn't really the same as what the market price is, that's why the auction sites and the gun shops are a better indicator of current value.
    The books are still useful, they can help you figure out what you're really looking at; early production vs. late, which options/features should be present, etc.
    Last edited by JSnover; 12-24-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Remember the only price people look at are the 99% ones and think their gun that is 60-70% is worth that.

Grade has as much to do with the price as rarity. Grade very hard for a realistic price.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    The book values are nearly always wrong in my experience.
    Go to Gunbroker, log in, go to advanced search (by clicking on the 3 horizontal lines at upper right corner), scroll down to and select completed items, enter the gun model, and search to see what guns of the same model, configuration and condition actually sold for at auction. That will give you an approximate actual market value. Usually guns seem to bring more $ on auction with wide exposure than they’ll bring in a face to face sale locally.
    I was offer to buy a gun from someone I know and to get the fair value of it I went to see my gunsmith on it he went to Gunbroker to give the range it should go for. and the one I got the gun from we came to the middle of the value of what the gunsmith said and that is what I paid. So you are right on going on there . Helps alot .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

I used to try to keep a current copy of the blue book. But they don't reflect prices caused by shortages, hunting seasons, seasonal stuff, ect. It also got to be expensive. Now days, I look at the on-line auction sites. The asking prices, averaged out, can get you close but the final "sold" price is a better indicator.

Boolit Master
    set up an account on gunbroker and the credit card you register will be charged 1 dollar to prove you are real and then immediately refunded. then you can use the advanced search function to check closed no-reserve auctions to see what things really sell for. open auctions may only tell you what some pie in the sky ******* wishes his guns were worth. you can sell your stuff on gunbroker. don't set reservesor the guns will be ignored. set an opening bid that is your minimum tolerated, or penny start with 2 week period if you have 10-20 items and use good titles to get good traffic and your stuff will sell at fair price. penny start small lots don't get enuf traffic to do well.

A big thank you to all of you who responded to my questions. I think I will pass on spending money on books and register with Gun Broker instead.

Thank you all very much. I appreciate your help.

Dipperman
    "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades." D. Paulson

Boolit Grand Master

Remember to check in YOUR area. Guns that sell hot in Oregon may be duds in say Arizona. Case in point here in the Midwest Model 8 Remington rifles are way cheaper or harder to sell than in Minnesota.