MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tool Decisions

Banned

Tool Decisions

The back story is I have not had the opportunity to shoot nor reload for 15 years. 3 years ago I almost got to reload but that didn't pan out. Now, it looks like life and all those folks who demand my time are out of the way and I can start reloading again.

Now, it's not like I don't have any tools, I have too many and cannot make a decision on which ones to use. I am planning on loading some ammo for the Remington 700, 222 that came to live with me. I have the original Lyman press, powder measure and scale that I bought new in 1967 to load for my first rifle, a 222 Savage 340. Or there is a Herter's Model 9 press, or the big Universal, or too many more to think of. Then which scale, my favorite when I was reloading is the Herter's Model 5. And Powder measures, too many to process. Priming will be on a Lachmiller, I think. There are other options.

Antique? Modern RCBS? One of the really esoteric presses? I need to start somewhere, but where?

Ken

I'd pick the oldest press, the powder measure and scale of matching ages and the newest dies that will work with the press, with new components. That way you cover all ages.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    I'd pick the oldest press, the powder measure and scale of matching ages and the newest dies that will work with the press, with new components. That way you cover all ages.
    I'm sorry but, I would have to use the newer equipment for no other reason than if something breaks or wears it can be easily replaced.

I'd start where you left off. Things will come into adjustment easier and quicker that way. 15 years is a long time, might want to give the Lyman manual a once over to make sure none of the details are overlooked.

Boolit Master
    I would tell you to start again with your original equipment,and relive your youth. I started loading for a savage 340, but mine was a .22 Hornet. I bought a Lee Loader for it , and used it for several years. I still love loading with the old style hand tools.

Kid in a candy store problems!
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Load 100 on each one.
    Then decide which one ya like best.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I still use some of the equipment I got in the early 70s it still works just as good now as it did then.
    I would start back with my favorites from the old days it will be like Christmas for months as you get your equipment cleaned and lubed and running smooth again , and refresh your memory on what you like or don't about each one....sounds like fun to me. enjoy the restart .

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The price of electronic scales has come way down in the last 15 years. You may want to consider one for measuring your powder.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ken, for sheer joy of reloading, one of your single stage presses would be my suggestion. How about one of the Herter's presses like a #3 or a Super U or O? Of course there are a variety of O-frame and heavy C-frames that would get the job done. Add your original 222 dies, whichever scale operates most smoothly for you and similarly whichever powder measure is most comfortable.

For me, it would be the Super U, an Ohaus 10-10 scale and probably an old Ideal #5 Micrometer powder measure. I won't be loading 222, but I do have a 223 so the basic setup would be the same. Oh yeah, I'd be using either a first generation Lee priming tool or perhaps the Lyman priming tool that came with their Accra-Wax outfit... you know I almost never prime on the press.

Your 'Phibian Phriend

PS I might just have to dig out a Lyman 310 tool and do the priming with that (if I didn't just do the whole job with a 310! )
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Decisions, Decisions!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    What I did after being out for 15 yrs. was remounted my RCBS press and just started slow and got the moves back going. A friend at church had a Dillon 650 he had just about worn out and convinced me that was what i needed, got a new 650 at 65 years old, been cranking on it now for 5 years 9mm,.223 now 45, 38, 300 black out,etc, just like riding a bicycle it will come back to ya. I still have the single stage press for special jobs or testing. The fun never ends, now powder coating another adventure.

Boolit Master
    Ken, I empathize with your dilemma. With all that is at your disposal, you can’t make a wrong choice. Maybe rotate the equipment every 3-4 months for fun and locking in a decision. Best of luck.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master

Oddly, I find myself in a similar position. I will go with the tried and true RockChucker, and mid eighties stuff. You, however. would be best suited by going out and getting a Dillion or other progressive for large rifle, maybe two. Drive them around the block and report back. I'd like to know if they will seat at about 0.001 readout or less.

Boolit Buddy
    My go-to is an 80's Rockchucker.

I reserve my classic presses for light duty straight wall cases. Primarily so they can get some bench time and, in agreement with Finster101, am cautious about breaking parts.

Welcome Back!

Isaac

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by maxreloader View Post
    Kid in a candy store problems!
    /\ My thoughts exactly

Not a bad problem to have.

Without knowing the full list of options the OP has, I would advise to stay away from any brands that use proprietary components (dies that aren't 7/8" , weird shell holders, etc.)
    Once you get back in the swing of reloading you don't want to add a new accessory only to find out that it is now more scarce than a honest politician.

Boolit Master

Use the 310 tong tool.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Buddy
    Ken, I only have a tenth of the equipment you have at your disposal, but I keep my 1969 Rockchucker bolted in the middle of the bench for daily use. I'm familiar with the feel and it's strong enough to handle most rifle reloading with ease.

Point I'm trying to make is use what you're familiar with. Powder measure could be anything, but I would pull out 2 sets of scales to check one against the other just for my own piece of mind. Make it fun and make it easy. I had my first Lyman tong tool out last week and loaded 6 rounds of 38 specials. Still occasionally use all of my old equipment, but getting back into it after 15 years, keep it simple and make it fun.

Steve

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
    .................. I would pull out 2 sets of scales to check one against the other just for my own piece of mind................
    /\ A man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never quite sure.

So......with that in mind, I would suggest a check weight (or better yet, check weights). Just saying

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Antique? Modern RCBS? One of the really esoteric presses? I need to start somewhere, but where?

Ken
    Ken, you make me smile; what a delightful quandary you face! But I have no advice for you.

I've been cut off from my bench for the last ten years (massive heart attack, a botched abdominal surgery, bankruptcy, downsizing, etc.) so I can relate to your difficulties and rejoice that you're finally back in the saddle again.

Part of why I grin is your question and responses reflect the fact that while loading tools have slightly changed since '65 they are basically the same and we can load as well on the old tools as the new. I mean we old guys know that good reloads are made by good reloaders, the critical factor is the user, not the shiney tools.

I don't have as large a tool collection as you but I do have quite a bit, and with a wide range of colors. When I started I had only one brand of tools. They worked well so, like others, I became something of my favorite brand fanatic -- until I actually tried other brands. I quickly found that others work too, all of them. So I gradually grew up and dropped my focus on brands, as such. Now I chose my new tools for their user friendly features and how I will use them.

I haven't found replacement parts to be an issue. I've only needed to "replace" six parts: two bent decap/expand stems (because I didn't get them set right before I crunched down on them); three broken decap pins (because of off center flash holes); and one worn out shell holder retaining spring. I straightened the bent rods, made my new pins and a new shell holder spring so, in 55 years, my replacement parts cost has been zilch.

Use what you wish and enjoy it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast