RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 41 Mag or 44 Mag

I chose the .41 as a teen because Ruger didnt offer the regular 4-5/8" Blackhawk in .44 mag. I never liked( still dont) the SBH and couldn't afford S&W.
    THEN I fell for the .41 and still dont need a .44 mag where I live. I do like my 44-40 though.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If ya don't reload, I'd go with the .44 since ammo will always be easier to find, and more different kinds of it.

If you do reload, I'd go with the .44 since more molds, more j-words, and cheaper brass is available for it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

I use to love the 44, now I love the 41.

Honestly, in regards to shooting either caliber in a handgun, they are so close to the same, I can't understand how anyone could call them different, especially in regards to recoil.

The Big thing that swung my opinion to the 41, is the Rifles in that caliber.

SAAMI has different specs for 44mag Pistol and 44mag Rifle...different sized barrels, different twist rates.
    Add to that, some manufacturers don't follow those specs...Back when Rossi made pistols and rifles in 44mag, they choose to use the Rifle specs on all their guns. Ruger had to go and do the opposite, they make some (or all) of their 44mag rifles to Pistol specs. I just don't like the confusion of all that.

SAAMI specs for 41mag are all the same for pistol and Rifle.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    The Taurus isn't a bad gun. Get a Ruger or S&W, you won't be sorry.

Dick

Boolit Master
    I have a .41 tracker. It's slightly smaller and "Handier"....I have all the way to a Taraus .454"s (2) .(SP) Various and sundries Calibers and Brands also..

The Blackhawk is just the cats meow.
    In going from .357 to .41 Ruger removed metal to make it a nice handling revolver.
    Not as good as a short barrel 1873 Colt chambered for 38-40 but pretty darn good.

GET BOTH

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    If you do much hand gunning you really need to reload so either caliber will get you what you want. If you are a part time shooter go with the 44 as mentioned. A 250 gr bullet loaded in each is pretty much a toss up, at least I've never been able to see the difference in he field, from deer, elk or bears. In the N frame S&W the 41 magnum is a better model 29! If you're shooting a single action try to go with a bisley grip frame and at least a 5.5" barrel & you can kill anything out there. No need to shoot crazy hot loads in either, a good, heavy SWC or LBT style bullet will do a lot of killing at 1000-1100 fps & be very easy to handle.

Dick
    Sage advice.

The 41 Magnum doesn't give up much to the 43 Magnum and the 41 doesn't have to lie about its girth.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Boolit Grand Master

I keep it pretty simple. If a S&W N-frame, the 41 magnum is the superior cartridge. In the Ruger Redhawk/super redhawk, the 44 magnum is the better cartridge. I think the 41 magnum has a huge potential in medium size guns, although it seems we may never see them come to life. I'm still waiting for a 41 magnum GP100. The 41 magnum is a better rifle cartridge, because everything is standardized, and with a proper twist rate.

Boolit Master
    Hard not to repeat ...for normal stuff.. deer, boar, ram, targets etc.. they are two peas in a pod...as to recoil a friend had a 7.5"
    Rhawk in .41 and 44. After shooting them both side by side at the same time with 22gr of H110 and 210 XTP and 24 gr H110 with 240 gr XTP. He took the 44 back and was good. So it is subjective. Shoot what you like. Currently there is more and different ammo for the .41 than ever, but it will likely never beat a .44 in that area. As to reloading here is no lack. And a 16.5" Henry .41 is the neatest little, almost tiny gun. Pair that with a 4 5/8 Blackhawk or the 6.5" it is a good combo for my swamp hunting deer. While I have a lot of different cal handguns, currently all I have are .41s by choice As I am content.

41 for me 657 smith, but ain't nothing wrong with 44s keep lots of them.

Boolit Buddy
    I have narrowed my choices to a Smith 629 with 6.5” barrel and Ruger Redhawk with a 5.5” barrel.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Check the trigger on the redhawk before you buy it. Redhawks have one spring lockwork and are very hard to make decent. I would take the smith all day long unless you intend to shoot alot of full power loads.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    Load would be a 240 gr SWC or WFN @ 1200-1300 fps

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mart View Post
    Sage advice.

The 41 Magnum doesn't give up much to the 43 Magnum and the 41 doesn't have to lie about its girth.

that was a cheap shot , we gotta do something the 480 500 guys get so cocky

Boolit Master
    I'll turn mart's comment around. I would choose the .44 because it's not much bigger than the .41 but brass, bullet and mold availability and selection is far greater. The same revolver will also be slightly lighter in .44 because it contains a bit less metal.
    The .44 will do more than the .41 on the top end, but it's not necessary to always load it that way.

I have 4 44mags(2 RBHs,RRH, Marlin lever) and only one RBH in 41 mag. For versatility the 44 is the better choice. Ready avilabe ammo and bullets where the 41 ammo is scarce and real expensive unless you reload. I really like the 41 also.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cat meme 44.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	253545
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    I have narrowed my choices to a Smith 629 with 6.5” barrel and Ruger Redhawk with a 5.5” barrel.

Thoughts and comments welcome.
    I think the Smith might be a tad lighter, and as mentioned the trigger might be a LOT better even box stock. A 240gr anything at 1300fps will get your attention right quick like in either gun.

For shooting cast either gun would benefit from sizing cylinder throats half thou above your boolit size but that totally depends on the size when you get it. If a .431" won't go through the throats, it would be an improvement to have them honed.

I would also enjoy a smaller revolver in .41 so one of the L frame Smiths would be nifty, and you can load it like you please. After all day in the woods, I would greatly appreciate the lighter weight.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

About a year ago I picked up a used 44 Mag Redhawk with 5.5" barrel and really like it. Nice trigger and locks up like a vault. Never thought I'd want a .44 because, at 78, I don't need any more punishment. But the extra weight & heft of this Ruger makes shooting this thing a lot of fun. But I also load mild; 6.8 gr Unique (dandy rotor #14) Arsenal 429421 255 gr boolet. Havin a blast with it!

Merry Christmas everyone. Hope you all got something connected with launching Pb.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast