MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got out the pretty rifles today...

Boolit Master

Got out the pretty rifles today...

Folks are wintering in Arizona so I went over and retrieved my fancy rifles from the gun vault to keep closer to me, and hopefully start shooting again, soon.

All are Winchesters and in unique calibers and custom built. The high wall is in .45-70 govt., which isn't all that unique, and the XTR Featherweight is in .257 Roberts as bone stock as the day I got it nearly 40 years ago. The top Winchester is in .35 Whelen and the bottom one is in .30-06 Ackley Improved.

Attachment 253441
    Attachment 253442
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Nice!
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

I have a 257 Roberts Featherweight from the early 80’s that is my favorite rifle. I will never get rid of that one.
    Tony

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Sweet.

They are pretty. Beautiful grain in a couple of those stocks.

Banned

Can't beat blue steel and walnut!

Awesome!
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

Banned

I had one of those 80s 257s myself. Beautiful gun. At least till you took it to the range. I don't think I ever got a group out of two inches out of it. Sad because I really liked it. Had to sell some guns to finance a divorce in 90 and it was one of the first to go. Right after I got back on my feet I picked one up in 280. Now that guns a shooter and will never leave my hands. Have to say there probably the best looking (other then a #1) factory made rifle on the market.

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice rifles, that wood on the 06AI must be one heck of an upgrade for a Boyds stock, Mel's work speaks for itself. I too had an XTR featherweight in 25-06, it had to move along to finance diapers and formula for twin daughters nearly 30 years ago.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Can't beat blue steel and walnut!
    Amen ... very one of my rifles
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Like Lloyd I to had an early 80's Winchester Featherweight in 257 Roberts, '84 I do believe. And like his, it never would shoot groups, more like patterns. I had a gunsmith rechamber it to a Ackley Improved and told him about it not wanting to shoot, so he said he would see what he could do. Apparently nothing, as it still wouldn't shoot.
    Ended up sending it to Shilen and they rebarreled it to a AI, with a 24", #3 contour and I never looked back. Shoots exceptionally well now, one of my favorite rifles.
    crash87
    "An art, to supply a truthful response to someones nagging, busy bodied question(s) such that the person feels as though their question has been answered, but yet, do not understand the answer and are unable to provide a follow up question to gain clarification for fear of appearing to be a dumb ***, when basically having to repeat the question

"LIBERALS ARE ALOT LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS."

Boolit Master

Truthfully, it's been so long since I shot the Featherweight, that I don't remember how well it grouped. I do know that it was good enough to take an antelope at 269 yards with one shot, and an elk at 250 yards with one shot. Both with reloads. I'm hoping to outfit it with a decent scope and get it sighted in this Spring, so I'll report back with range results.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned

one of the stupider things Winchester did. They chambered it in a long action which most manufactures didn't and that was a good thing. But some idiot decided it should have a block in the mag well to keep you from seating bullets out far enough then they were even more stupid in giving them a long throat. So long that even without the mag block you couldn't seat bullets out long enough to touch the rifling. They did the same stupid thing to the 757s that were made at the same time. It was to bad because I just couldn't dream up a better rig for the way I hunt then one of those featherweight 257s.

Boolit Buddy
    Wood/blue is king in my book. I've got a few synthetics, but they seldom see daylight.
    The 257 is about my favorite round. Got a Ruger MKII that has been a lucky rifle even being fairly heavy. I have a M70 fwt in 243 that has some wear that just may change over to the Roberts one of these days. Take out the magazine block and shorten the bolt stop to get to nearly 3" in the short action. might be the best of both worlds

These are kind of pretty.Attachment 253866
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Bring out the Pretty guns?

These are kind of pretty.

Not bad for refinished Marlin Wood.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    I have my first and only 30-06 in a
    Winchester Model 70 Super Grade
    It now wears a Ziess 3x9 scope
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Bring out the Pretty guns?

These are kind of pretty.

Not bad for refinished Marlin Wood.

Randy
    Nice! My JM 1894 came with beautiful wood as well...

Attachment 253895

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I have my first and only 30-06 in a
    Winchester Model 70 Super Grade
    It now wears a Ziess 3x9 scope
    Very classy!

Boolit Master
    You guys have some pretty rifles, all mine look like pallet wood from the dumpster!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast