RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger American vs. TC Compass vs. Savage Axis

Banned

Ruger American vs. TC Compass vs. Savage Axis

I'm a walnut and steel guy for sure, but have been considering the various bottom price entry level rifles that abound right now. I have almost gotten myself worked up to buying a Ruger American Predator next time the PX runs a sale just to see what the fuss is all about.

Last night I looked at a TC Compass for the first time. I like the safety on the TC, but I think I like the handling characteristics of the Ruger better.

I'm a Savage fan by nature, but the Axis just always hit me wrong somehow. The offerings from Remington always seems awful to me, though I have not shot any of them.

So, for you guys with experience with any of these, what real advantage does one have over the other?

Boolit Master

Can't speak of the T/C but I have three of the Ruger Americans and they all extremely cheap looking, handle pretty decent, very light to carry and extremely accurate. If the weather's crummy, these are perfect because you don't really care if these get dropped in the mud, rained on, fall out of the truck, dog pees on them, etc. I would imagine that it will boil down to personal preference, I handled all three and liked the Ruger best. Good luck on your selection.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Banned

The TC could be had cheaper, it seems, if price point were a real huge deal (it isn't) and I like that it has a model 70 style safety, but it sure didn't handle and point as well as the Rugers to me. Seemed a lot heavier too. Getting older and weaker, the weight of a rifle is starting to become something to consider. Lugged my old model 70 out during our early segment and it sure is heavier than I remembered.

Possibly another option is the unsold Marlin bolt actions that CDNN lists. They seem nicer than the ones mentioned, of which for me the Ruger would be my choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I thought I would never buy a cheap rifle...then could not resist a pair of new T/C Compasses for $525...$212.50 ea delivered. Got them both in .308. One for my son and one for me.

I now use mine as my primary hunting rifle:

I shot the top group (.28") last year during load work up. The second group (sub MOA) was shot this year to check out a new scope I installed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TC165grSierraGameKing.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	252841

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Compass Hunting load.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	252843

The damn thing shoots better than my M70 that weighs 2 lbs more!

My buddy has a Ruger in .450 and it is not a good shooter. He just bought a Savage in .350 Legend and we will give a work out and report back.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    What hit you wrong w/the Savage Axis? I have two of them; I shot the 7mm-08 quite often this year and found it to be quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I'm a walnut and steel guy for sure, but have been considering the various bottom price entry level rifles that abound right now. I have almost gotten myself worked up to buying a Ruger American Predator next time the PX runs a sale just to see what the fuss is all about.

Last night I looked at a TC Compass for the first time. I like the safety on the TC, but I think I like the handling characteristics of the Ruger better.

I'm a Savage fan by nature, but the Axis just always hit me wrong somehow. The offerings from Remington always seems awful to me, though I have not shot any of them.

So, for you guys with experience with any of these, what real advantage does one have over the other?

I like the Savage Axis.... Bought one for my son in 7mm-08 and 'load development' was almost as boring for it as it was for my Tikka. It's a MOA rifle all day long....and doesn't seem to care, at all, what it eats.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    trails4u

Are you satisfied with the stock that is on that Savage Axis?

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    trails4u

Are you satisfied with the stock that is on that Savage Axis?
    I wouldn't say I'm in love with it, but for what it is and what it cost, I find it's not all that bad. Comfortable to shoulder and shoot for me and my son both, and seems repeatable moving from bench to field conditions. I've heard complaints about flex, and I believe it....the material does get thin toward the front of the forearm. But I'm not convinced it's enough flex for the stock to interfere with the barrel, at least not in our experience.

We also only demand Minute of Deer from it.... It is a MOA rifle, but if I were trying to wring everything out of it...the stock might be the first place I'd spend money.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Thanks, the forearm flexes quite a bit. As you stated, I too am not certain if it is deleterious to accuracy. I may fill in the underside of the forearm with epoxy that is said to make it stiffer.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    My $0.02 is in another forum here. Check out a wood stocked axis. I see them online, but havent seen one myself

I learned not to bench my synthetic edge any more its All field shooting positions over stumps, limbs, or kneeling. It can put meat on the table if i can put fur in the scope.

Boolit Master
    The Save Axis plastic stock would be great for a hunting rifle. The wood stock version is much more expensive. I called Savage about buying a wood stock for it...would be about $200. Boyds offers a beautiful laminated for $163--$15 more for a SS trigger guard. Has anyone tried the Boyds stock in Nutmeg Laminate?

I put a Boyd's stock on my Savage 110 varminter. It wasn't nutmeg but that was my second choice.
    It worked like a dream for me. No fitting at all. Accuracy is under MOA at 200 yards.

Boolit Master
    Good to know...thanks for sharing!

Boolit Master
    Friend of mine got an Axis package deal in 6.5mm with a cheap scope for around $200, it will out shoot on paper anything I own. Almost infuriating that a $200 ready to shoot package outshoots ALL of my much more costly "premium" rifles.

Boolit Master

I like the Ruger Americans. I would like to try a T/C I read they have a locking bolt. This is big for me as a hunting rifle. The Ruger dosent have that.

The darn Rugers SHOOT!! I just bought a new one this week!

Savages usually shoot too, but feel cheaper to me. I dont like than as much.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Last year I bought a T/C Compass in .243 for a pickup truck gun. They shoot beyond their price point. Put the M-Carbo trigger spring kit in it for $19.95 and the rifle will impress. Youngest son's girlfriend harvested a nice doe with a 85 gr Nossler partition in mine a few weeks ago.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 compass rifles and they are great!! This is a 4 round group at 100 yards with my 308 compassClick image for larger version. 

Name:	D24E7579-6591-40B1-AC4D-242968CEFA12.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	252882

I shot 2 deer in the neck at 280 yards with my TC 30-06 compass both were bang flops

Boolit Buddy
    I have two left hand Ruger Americans and my sons each have a Compass if the Compass came left hand that's what I'd have.The bolts on the American don't just open bump them a little and they pop open the whole way.Hunting out of a blind or stand it doesn't matter but going thru the brush its a PITA.When I reload for them I size the case so the bolt works a hard it helps but doesn't cure it.As far as fit and finish and accuracy no difference.Both of my Rugers are early guns both had magazine issues Ruger sent new magazines work fine.You don't hear anything about problem magazine with them now.They seem to have fixed that.

CW[/QUOTE]

Boolit Buddy
    I have had Compass,and while it was a good shooting gun I just did not care for it.It was the first gun I ever ordered online from Kentucky Gun Co.,and I really only bought it because it came with the Vortex Crossfire2, and either a $50,or $75 rebate,and no tax.Like I say it shot well,and the only issue,as far as function I had with mine was that when the mag was loaded to the maximum capacity the top round wanted to lay flat,and not get the bullet end lined up just right to enter the chamber,which is no big deal.I can't remember ,but I think it held 5 in the mag.Mine was a 270,so I don’t know if something shorter would have this issue.I just could not warm up to gun. I did not like the bolt handle, nor the bright metal safety. I sold it last year without the scope for my money back,so at least I am ahead a little.I have 2 Axis ,one 22" in 223,and one 20" youth model in 7mm08,and even though they are no better constructed that the Compass ,and have a higher bolt lift I like them better.The 223 is a great shooter,and the 7mm08 is plenty good enough of a shooter,but I never have been able to get it shooting great,but it is fine for a short range deer rifle.They are both synthetic, and the 7mm08 seems to be flimsier than the 223 which is also flimsy. I dont shoot either with a bipod,but I am careful shooting from my bags.My style was always to have my rifle a little high on the front bag,and pull it down into the bag to get on target,but with these you can't do that.You can't put any presure on the forend.I don't see it ever being an issue hunting though.I have never had an America,but I know they are well liked,and have some value used. You can't hardly give a used Axis away around here,but the ones that you really cant give away are them Remington 770-710-715 types.Thats probably why I have 2 Axis,I bought them both used,at what I feel was good prices.I would think that all these budget rifles with the Savage style barrel nut would be good shooters .I agree with Texas by God who posted a few post ago about the Marlin X7..I almost bought one from CDNN,it was a toss up between it and a Winchester XPR.I even handled both at the local gun store,and liked the Marlin.It is basically the Rem 783,but with blind box,and actual sling studs instead of holes in the stock like the 783.The guy at the store told me the XPR was a better gun,and told me it was basically the same as Brownings A bolt 3..I ended up buying the XPR,and ended up paying $300 after the $50 rebate.it came with a cheap Chinese Weaver scope,but no rings,and while I cant understand why in the world it has a 3 round single row mag that hangs down, it is built better than,and has a much better synthetic stock than I expected. It shoots great and has a great trigger.I was disappointed that it was made in Portugal though. In a way I'm syill glad I bought it,but if I knew that before hand I would have passed on it..I did not by the Marlin because all they had were 243s,and they are 1-10,but they sure are a good deal IMO for $249,and free shipping.They come with Bushnell glass and "Pro Fire" trigger,which is about like Accu Trigger.They were $239 on Black Friday,and will likely be that around Christmas.
    Last edited by Elroy; 12-12-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast