Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mauser Project Advice/Opinion Request

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    the rifle pictured which is the rifle we are discussing is a k98, and they are not the same as an m48. the m48 action length is different than the k98. the yugo's took piles of german k98's after the war and scrubbed the rcvr rings and stamped the yugo crest on top, and preduzece44 on the side rail, but other than that they are 100% k98.

Yes, this is correct. In my first post I typed it as being a "yugo model 98" because that's what is stamped on the receiver although the designation is M98/48 to differentiate it from the M48. Although I can't say for sure where this rifle was made (because the receiver was scrubbed) it is not a CZ rifle. Here are some receiver and bolt pics. You can see some of the original markings on the bottom of the receiver and bolt/bolt handle.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0378.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	254130
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0379.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	254131

Name:	IMG_0380.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	254133

Name:	IMG_0381.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	254134

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	254135

Name:	IMG_0383.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	254136

Boolit Grand Master

you do mean the very first post where the OP called it an M98 which is what k98's have stamped on them, and where he also calls it a k98, but no where mentions m48. m48 was not in the discussion until later when you ASSUMED thats what it was.
    Appears we're all a bit incorrect. Definitely not a CZ with that "Mod-98" stamped on the side. Appears to be a M98 action configured in Yugo 24/47 style which is their version of the CZ24. It has the same stock as on my 24/47 so I agree with you on it was an early Yugo conversion using M98 actions not made by them. Given the trigger guard was stamped the action may or may not have made late in the war.

cOwbOy84

When you had the barrel off was there an extractor cut in the face?

Also, which one these bolt faces pictured does your rifles bolt face look like?

Attachment 254157
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Appears we're all a bit incorrect. Definitely not a CZ with that "Mod-98" stamped on the side. Appears to be a M98 action configured in Yugo 24/47 style which is their version of the CZ24. It has the same stock as on my 24/47 so I agree with you on it was an early Yugo conversion using M98 actions not made by them. Given the trigger guard was stamped the action may or may not have made late in the war.

cOwbOy84

Attachment 254157
    we are not all incorrect, that is a german K98K that was scrubbed and recrested by the yugo's , just like i said it was.

Boolit Grand Master

we are not all incorrect, that is a german K98K that was scrubbed and recrested by the yugo's , just like i said it was.
    The point is; the rifle is not a K98. It may have started out that way, as Yugoslavia did get a quantity of K98s along with other M98s at the wars end, but the rifle the OP has now is a Yugoslavian M98/48 (his designation) but actually is what became the M24/47 which is what the Yugo's turned the rifle into. Doesn't matter what we say it is as it is what it is. You want to call it a K98 that is fine with me. I defaulted to Kuhnhausen who says Yugoslavia made 24s, 47s and 48s...….
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    In the pictures of the bolt heads, the bolt on the far left is from a Yugo 24/47.
    That rifle has a shorter action and is set up as a Safety Breeched barrel to receiver.
    That is why there are not two little nubs on the tip of the bolt head opposite the extractor.
    I know , I have 10 of them.
    That short action is my favorite for turning into .308 or 7mm 08 and similar shorter mid length casings

Boolit Buddy

cOwbOy84

Attachment 254157
    There was no extractor cut in the barrel face.

Name:	IMG_0388.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	254169

And some other markings on the barrel. There is a number stamped over what appears to be some proofs.

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	254172

The bolt is definitely not like the left one, and I can't really discern a difference in the other two without someone pointing it out to me so here it is.

Name:	IMG_0390.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	254170

Name:	IMG_0394.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	254171

Also here are some markings on the stock if that helps identify origin. The first looks like back to back "K".

Name:	IMG_0385.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	254173

The number I assume is a serial or rack number but there is a small circle with a triangle or something in it right behind the disc.

Name:	IMG_0387.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	254174

Boolit Buddy
    The point is; the rifle is not a K98. It may have started out that way, as Yugoslavia did get a quantity of K98s along with other M98s at the wars end, but the rifle the OP has now is a Yugoslavian M98/48 (his designation) but actually is what became the M24/47 which is what the Yugo's turned the rifle into. Doesn't matter what we say it is as it is what it is. You want to call it a K98 that is fine with me. I defaulted to Kuhnhausen who says Yugoslavia made 24s, 47s and 48s...….
    When I got the thing I didn't know much about it nor did I care. I thought I was buying a junk surplus large ring mauser that I wouldn't feel bad about tearing apart to make a silly 45acp conversion. It was sold by JG Sales as a yugo mod 98/48 to me and when I googled that there were several websites that had info about it so I figured that was correct. As I understood it the m98/48 was similar to russian captures where they just tore the k98s apart and rebuilt them in their arsenals and then issued them out.

Boolit Master
    From what I see , the bolt is a Model 98 dolt face.
    That should be the longer action.
    The trigger guard action screw spacing will be about 7 -7/8" on the 98 action.
    The 24/47 and I believe the 48 and 48a use a trigger screw spacing of 7 -5/8"
    The Cupped buttplate is what was used on a K98 but after the war , rifles were rebuilt and parts swapped for what they had.
    The markings on the side of the receiver are Yugo.
    But the 44 is not a year of manufacture.
    I am sure the Yugoslavian rebuilt tons of captured rifles , and I saw J&G sales , selling Yugo Stamped model 98 long actions a few years back.

Boolit Master

it is a k98, the only thing changed is the crest and it now says preduzece44 on the side of the rcvr. you can check kuhnhausen for what the yugo's made, they did not make that rifle. simply scrubbed it, and restamped it. it is a k98. https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...STORY-AND-FACT

Boolit Master
    There is a rifle with similar markings on Gun Brokers

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y84 View Post
    When I got the thing I didn't know much about it nor did I care. I thought I was buying a junk surplus large ring mauser that I wouldn't feel bad about tearing apart to make a silly 45acp conversion. It was sold by JG Sales as a yugo mod 98/48 to me and when I googled that there were several websites that had info about it so I figured that was correct. As I understood it the m98/48 was similar to russian captures where they just tore the k98s apart and rebuilt them in their arsenals and then issued them out.
    Yes, you have a standard M98 action not a M48. Go with the 98/48 designation. The action may have started out as a K98 rifle but the Yugoslavians rebuilt it into another type of rifle (lefty o says toe-may-toe, I say ta-mah-toe) and the designation you're using fits. The Yugo built 24/47 is similar but more like a CZ or VZ24 with the Yugo made action. The Yugo made M48 and M48A have shorter actions. In the photo I posted bolt faces are; the right is a CZ24, the center a 24/47 and the left a M48. You can see the M48 bolt face does not have the left side cartridge rim guide which is why it isn't very suitable for a 45 ACP conversion. Your 98/48 is compatible but that's a moot point at this time. It shouldn't be too hard to find a milled trigger/magazine housing for it.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

sheesh, anybody with functioning eyes can see that rifle is still 100% k98! ive seen people argue rediculous stuff in order to try and make themselves look like they know something, but come on.

Boolit Grand Master

Well lefty o ……. you da man cause you jumped right in there with the correct answer so please accept my apologies to your ego that I wasn't so sure which rifle it was and just wanted some discussion and clarification...... cOwbOy84's rifle started out as a K98 so that's what it is...…. cOwbOy84's description and pictures certainly clarified what it is or was now so you were/are right….my apologies again that I was confused because of the "Yugoslav" description...…..the Yugoslav designation of 98/24 be darned which is what I know/knew about it now.....but to the point of the discussion; it's not a M48 and is not a 24/47 either and it is suitable for a 45 ACP conversion which was what I was trying to interject and if not a M48 and probably suitable for a 35 Whelen too...…..sheesh......hopefully we got that over with...…

My appreciation to cOwbOy84 for his cooperation in clarifying what his rifle is and apologies if I troubled him.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

cOwbOy84 this here will screw on that K98, rent a reamer and head space gauges. Fun fun fun...https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003589333?pid=546547
    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod22531.aspx
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    My appreciation to cOwbOy84 for his cooperation in clarifying what his rifle is and apologies if I troubled him.
    No Worries, I appreciate all the input received in this thread. Now we can really have fun and I can go pull out the other mauser and let you guys try and figure out what it is cause I still haven't got that one 100% figured. I know it started as a gewehr 98 in 1919 from DWM but it was converted to something almost resembling a k98 at some point.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123