Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mauser Project Advice/Opinion Request

Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker3 View Post
    Just remember to check headspace if you choose to screw barrel back on. Unless you marked it when taking off you may over torque it and create a dangerous situation. Best thing to do if you aren't familiar with what I'm talking about is to sell the action and barrel seperate.
    Good point but most Mausers have witness marks punched across the receiver and barrel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker3 View Post
    Just remember to check headspace if you choose to screw barrel back on. Unless you marked it when taking off you may over torque it and create a dangerous situation. Best thing to do if you aren't familiar with what I'm talking about is to sell the action and barrel seperate.
    It was marked but headspace will be checked all the same.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I suppose at this point I'll do one of two things. Option #1 Screw the 8mm barrel back on and keep it as is or possibly sell it and the kit, or Option #2 Do nothing and let it find its way into the dark recesses of a closet somewhere for another 5 years or so and then see what happens. I'd like to think that option #2 won't happen but realistically its the most likely. Ideally I'll find some time in the next week to work on putting the rifle back together but methinks the wife has other plans for me.

Boolit Master
    8 mm is a nice round. So is the 7 x 57 as are several others like 06, .284 , etc. Maybe put the old 8 barrel on it and leave it alone. There are a lot of bubbed rifles out there just begging to be fixed.

Boolit Buddy
    Got to looking at putting the rifle back together and one thing I forgot about that I did screw up was the stamped trigger guard. I had already started removing material where the magazine release was going to go. Luckily those aren't very expensive and somewhat easy to find...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y84 View Post
    Got to looking at putting the rifle back together and one thing I forgot about that I did screw up was the stamped trigger guard. I had already started removing material where the magazine release was going to go. Luckily those aren't very expensive and somewhat easy to find...

As long as you're replacing the trigger guard might consider a milled one instead of the stamped one?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

+1 Larry- the milled one will be cheaper and easier to find I think. I searched unsuccessfully for a BRNO 98 winter trigger guard for a year once.
    cOwbOy- how about some pics before you put it away again???

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1412.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	253894 Here is a pic from before it was taken apart. I didn't really think to take any good ones in detail. I'll have to do that when I get it back together.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    As long as you're replacing the trigger guard might consider a milled one instead of the stamped one?
    I was considering this as I like the milled ones better but hadn't really looked to see what was readily available yet. I'm trying to finish another project that is closer to completion first and then try to get this one wrapped up which is dragging on a little being in the middle of rut here.

Boolit Buddy

I don’t know if it was mentioned already but you could go with the 8mm-06. I would think this would be a quick option that gave you something that wouldn’t deter from the original to much, keep some resell value and is a nice option for hunting etc.....
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Powersgt View Post
    I don’t know if it was mentioned already but you could go with the 8mm-06. I would think this would be a quick option that gave you something that wouldn’t deter from the original to much, keep some resell value and is a nice option for hunting etc.....
    His M48 action isn't quite long enough for the 8-06.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

that is not an M48, its K98.

Boolit Buddy
    I believe the official designation was M98/48, but yes it was originally a german k98 that was scrubbed of the german markings except for the "mod 98" on the side (although not very well as there are a few proofs and eagles still visible when removed from the stock) restamped with the yugo crest and reissued for use until the m48 was put in service.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    that is not an M48, its K98.
    The M48 is a Yugo version of the K98. The M48 has a shorter magazine than does a standard M98 action as does the K98....

The M48s are newly made on the CZ machinery which made M98s (CZ24s which are 47/24s when Yugo made) and K98s (became the M48 and M48A when Yugo made) that was moved to Yugoslavia after WWII ended by the commies.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Cowboy I say sell the M48, sell the Rhineland conversion kit and buy that SS 41 mag you want!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

The M48 is a Yugo version of the K98. The M48 has a shorter magazine than does a standard M98 action as does the K98....

The M48s are newly made on the CZ machinery which made M98s (CZ24s which are 47/24s when Yugo made) and K98s (became the M48 and M48A when Yugo made) that was moved to Yugoslavia after WWII ended by the commies.
    that rifle is a K98 german mauser. m48's are not the same rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Cowboy I say sell the M48, sell the Rhineland conversion kit and buy that SS 41 mag you want!
    This^^^^^ putting in back in the dungeon does no one any good, not even you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    that rifle is a K98 german mauser. m48's are not the same rifle.
    Read the OPs 1st post. The rifle under discussion is a Yugoslavian M48. No it is not a K98, it is the Yugoslavian version of a K98. Thus it has a shorter magazine than a M98.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

the rifle pictured which is the rifle we are discussing is a k98, and they are not the same as an m48. the m48 action length is different than the k98. the yugo's took piles of german k98's after the war and scrubbed the rcvr rings and stamped the yugo crest on top, and preduzece44 on the side rail, but other than that they are 100% k98.

Boolit Master

Read the OPs 1st post. The rifle under discussion is a Yugoslavian M48. No it is not a K98, it is the Yugoslavian version of a K98. Thus it has a shorter magazine than a M98.
    you do mean the very first post where the OP called it an M98 which is what k98's have stamped on them, and where he also calls it a k98, but no where mentions m48. m48 was not in the discussion until later when you ASSUMED thats what it was.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast