RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mauser Project Advice/Opinion Request

Boolit Buddy

Mauser Project Advice/Opinion Request

So I figure this is as good of a place to post this query as any. I have a Yugo Mod 98 (K98) that I bought with the intention of doing a Rhineland Arms 45 ACP conversion on. Well it sat in my room for about five years or so while I looked for some time to get around to it and I finally decided to start the project. As soon as I got the 8mm barrel off the action and started looking at the instructions for the conversion I realized that I'm not as interested in the project as I was five years ago. So now I'm trying to decide if I should continue on with the project knowing that I'll probably regain interest in it at some point, sell the conversion kit and do something else with the mauser action (35 whelen maybe?) or just put the 8mm barrel back on and keep the rifle in military configuration and either sale it and the conversion kit to get something that currently interests me (41 magnum stainless ruger blackhawk) or keep the rifle and sale the kit. I really could probably go any direction with this and be ok but I also would like a 41 mag and don't have the budget to get it without getting rid of something and this project is the only thing I'm willing to consider. What are your thoughts?

Boolit Buddy
    If you have lost the fire then don't force yourself. If the mauser is still complete sell it to someone who would like a nice orginal rifle. Sell the kit also. I know there is some effort in getting a 45acp to feed over the locking lug opening in a mauser. I made a 45acp rifle out of a truly junk no 4 enfield action. Sight lugs gone and holes drilled in the side. It works perfectly feeds great uses 1911 clips. Truly a lot of fun ,cases last forever too. If you want a 45acp rifle consider the no 4 enfield. Lots of hacked up junkers still out there.
    n.h.schmidt

I vote scrap the project, sell the kit and keep the rifle for now if you can swing it to get the 41. Otherwise sell both and get the 41.

Boolit Buddy
    It' your rifle,and the decision on what to rebarrel it to is a choice that you need to make,but if it was me personally I would go with something less common than today's standard offerings,but still practical. I would choose a 24",.257 Roberts because it is a good length for the 98s action,and what ever you choose make sure you get a twist that will handle the full spectrum of bullets you intend to feed it.I was always told that when you build a Mauser you better like it,because you can never get your money back from it.
    Last edited by Elroy; 12-22-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Banned

If the rifle was still original, put the barrel back on it and sell it to someone who wants an original one. They aren't making anymore of them and there are plenty of bubbaed ones of you want a project like that.

I happen to have a junker SMLR that would do that project pretty well. Been kind of wondering what to do with it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mosinuser View Post
    you buggered the rifle up..... I believe theres only 2 gunsmiths that claim they can redo the barrel on a Yugo mauser, that whole method of assembly and that recessed head..

Its a lot easier to get a break open single shot, and modify it into something else.
    Its not a yugo mauser, its a german mauser that the yugos re-arsenalized. Twisting the barrel back on is nothing to it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    If the rifle was still original, put the barrel back on it and sell it to someone who wants an original one. They aren't making anymore of them and there are plenty of bubbaed ones of you want a project like that.
    This was kinda what I'm thinking as well.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    happen to have a junker SMLR that would do that project pretty well. Been kind of wondering what to do with it.
    When I got the conversion I was really interested in having a bolt mauser that I could run the same cast loads that run in the pistols. I still like the idea its just not what is holding my interest right now.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I vote scrap the project, sell the kit and keep the rifle for now if you can swing it to get the 41. Otherwise sell both and get the 41.

I wish I could hold on to the rifle, the kit, and get the 41. I've never sold a gun that I haven't regretted.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by n.h.schmidt View Post
    If you have lost the fire then don't force yourself. If the mauser is still complete sell it to someone who would like a nice orginal rifle. Sell the kit also. I know there is some effort in getting a 45acp to feed over the locking lug opening in a mauser. I made a 45acp rifle out of a truly junk no 4 enfield action. Sight lugs gone and holes drilled in the side. It works perfectly feeds great uses 1911 clips. Truly a lot of fun ,cases last forever too. If you want a 45acp rifle consider the no 4 enfield. Lots of hacked up junkers still out there.
    n.h.schmidt
    The enfield was something I was looking at for a 45 conversion but I saw a fellow that did the mauser conversion and it just looked so neat so I thought I'd try it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    It' your rifle,and the decision on what to rebarrel it to is a choice that you need to make,but if it was me personally I would go with something less common than today's standard offerings,but still practical. I would choose a 24",.257 Roberts because it is a good length for the 98s action,and what ever you choose make sure you get a twist that will handle the full spectrum of bullets you intend to feed it.I was always told that when you build a Mauser you better like it,because you can never get your money back from it.

I think I'm leaning away from converting it to something else although I do like the quarter bores...

Boolit Buddy
    I had "built" a 45auto out of the Chilean "bubba special" mauser I had. Wouldn't feed worth a hoot. It was essentially a single-shot bolt. So down the road it went. With the number of options you can go with for the 98 mauser, don't waste it on the 45 auto. You can spin the old barrel back on and have a wonderful deer rifle. Or send it off to be rebored into your 35W. Or 338-06 or even the 375-06. If you feel adventurous there is always the option to purchase a barrel from Midway or Brownells and do the work yourself. Rent a finish reamer and set the headspace yourself. I built a 6.5x55 that way.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nobody can answer this but you. All the options are good. It just depends on what tickles your fancy. I, for one, (like them all ) would get it back to the original 8mm Mauser and explore what that has to offer. Might not be sexy or exotic, but is a wonderful cartridge and a fine cast boolit shooter. 11 grains of green dot and a 200 + grain boolit is a joy, all day long.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y84 View Post
    I wish I could hold on to the rifle, the kit, and get the 41. I've never sold a gun that I haven't regretted.
    Yes Regretted.
    That is what I usually feel after it's too late. There are several Mausers that I have happily owned and then let go of and regretted. I have little or no time to rebuild perfectly good guns into something else, but I have found time to play with loading cast at low speed for several of those good old rifles. 8 mm was especially easy to get to shoot pretty well with just the Lee double cavity mold and some Unique.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

If you intend to hunt moose or other large animals, the Whelen is the ticket.

Boolit Grand Master
    Think it through.

I would not consider any of your options...but that is me!

I have three pistol caliber carbines...do not need a third.
    I have .357 and .44 pistols...do not need a .41
    I have rifles in .223.,.30/30, .308, and .300 WinMag...do not need another rifle caliber.

My advice is to look at your needs instead of your wants. Wants can be satisfied when you have your needs addressed and when you have more disposable funds. It sounds as if money is a bit tight for toys, so think about stocking up on powder and primers. There were plenty of folk who had to seriously limit shooting when there were shortages as they were unprepared.

Take care of your needs. Likely not what you want to hear but you asked.
    Don Verna

Spock Said,,,"Having is not always as good as Wanting." "It's not logical but it is often true." Live Long and Prosper. V

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y84 View Post
    So I figure this is as good of a place to post this query as any. I have a Yugo Mod 98 (K98) that I bought with the intention of doing a Rhineland Arms 45 ACP conversion on. ……... So now I'm trying to decide if I should continue on with the project knowing that I'll probably regain interest in it at some point, sell the conversion kit and do something else with the mauser action (35 whelen maybe?) or just put the 8mm barrel back on and keep the rifle in military configuration and either sale it and the conversion kit to get something that currently interests me (41 magnum stainless ruger blackhawk) or keep the rifle and sale the kit. I really could probably go any direction with this and be ok but I also would like a 41 mag and don't have the budget to get it without getting rid of something and this project is the only thing I'm willing to consider. What are your thoughts?
    Couple problems with the M48 action; As you note it is a K98 length action which means the magazine is a shorter magazine and not really conducive to 30-06 length cartridges such as the 35 Whelen. Better left as an 8mm in military trim and sold. If sportered it is also not suitable for the 45 ACP Rhineland conversion as the bolt face does not have a protrusion on the left side as needed for proper reliable feeding of the short stubby 45 ACP cartridge. An inter-mediate cartridge such as the 6.5x55, 6.5x57 (6.5 Roberts), the 7x57, the 30x57, 35 x57 or just left as an 8x57 would be the better possibilities. I'm sure you won't have a problem selling either the 45 ACP M98 Rhineland kit or the M48 back in milsurp trim on this forum to finance the 41 magnum project...…..
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

with what even yugo refurb k98's bring for $$$ these days, screw the barrel back on and sell it or use as is. lots of cheaper ways to go in the world of project rifles.

I would consider rebarreling it to a Mauser based cartridge. IE: 6mm Remington, 257 Roberts, 7x57, or 8mm Mauser, ect. It will be more likely to feed smoothly.

I had a Mauser rebarreled to 7mm-08 and, due to feeding issues, wish that I had gone with 7x57.

Boolit Mold
    Just remember to check headspace if you choose to screw barrel back on. Unless you marked it when taking off you may over torque it and create a dangerous situation. Best thing to do if you aren't familiar with what I'm talking about is to sell the action and barrel seperate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast