Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sr9

Boolit Master
    I will say the trigger is NOT at all like any of my 1911's. It is a different animal. BUT,, once you really try it,, AND give it an honest test,, you may find it's not as bad as you think.

Boolit Master

Have you tested the trigger pull weight? Most guys that have them comment on the light trigger pull.

And you had to scrub it clean; was it used?

They are going for $250 brand new now in a couple of places.

The good thing is that Ruger has amazing customer service, which more and more folks are having to avail themselves of these days, unfortunately. Send it to them after calling and voicing your concerns. They will fix it and likely throw in some goodies when it comes back.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

"Now for my distinct diss likes. Can sum this up in two words ... trigger pull ... this thing is a hog of a pull and seems like it is half way double action. I do not like nor agree with any sorta double action pull on a pistol ( revolvers are different). Looking at the rear of the slide, I observe the striker moving to the rear by about 1/4 inch before let off. My 1911's are single action ... my Springfield striker type XD40 is completely single action ... but this is a cat of a different color.

I am hoping somebody is going to tell me that some part is in backwards or in the wrong sequence. If this is so I am all ears as this is the one set back that takes the shine off for me."

Sorry, man. That spongy, push-back-the-striker setup isn't a bug, it's a feature. The good news is you get the same mushy, relatively light squeeze for every shot, instead of a long hard pull for the first shot and "single action" thereafter.

I haven't used their products, but these guys offer a kit to lighten and smooth that pull, plus there's a nifty video on how to detail strip an SR:

https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/...r40-sr40c-sr45
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 12-28-2019 at 12:21 AM.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I can deal with some "spongy" feel but I bet this thing is 10+ pounds of final letoff. I also read and see on you tube about the light trigger pull ... not so much on mine. This thing keeps getting tougher and tougher till it finally breaks and fires.

Now this is all said before actually shooting.

And yes this is a used pistol.

Boolit Master
    When the SR9 was first released, there were issues with the trigger. Ruger recalled the pistols, and replaced the triggers with a new setup. Either way, I'd contact Ruger on the problem.

Boolit Master
    As Marlin39a has mentioned,, maybe a POLITE call to Ruger is in order. An increasing trigger pull weight is not normal.
    When I got mine,, it got used a lot early on,, in our NRA Women On Target Clinics. A LOT of the ladies tried different 9mm's (after working up to them,) and most found it easy to shoot. And most of our ladies are elderly,, with limited hand strength.

Contact Ruger,, politely ask for a tech for the SR9,, and explain to that person what's going on. Then,, a trip to Ruger will most likely be in order,, but I'll bet you get back a super sweet gun.

Great advice on contacting Ruger. Was hoping there would be some home improvements but I really like the OEM aspect along with the bill of health from them.

Thanks for this good advice.

Gonna go try it out first tho. Gotta shoot it. Wouldnt be rite to not at least try it before hoisting the white flag.
    Last edited by bigted; 12-28-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The SR9c I used to have had a smooth, light, double action style trigger after the initial take up.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Got to get to the range today with the SR 9.

Glad I did nothing till I shot it. What a nice shooter! The trigger does not bother me like I figured it would. I got spoiled on my 1911's trigger and the Springfield XD 40. This Ruger is nothing like them ... but ... having said that ... I do not mind it nearly as much as anticipated. I will contact Ruger tho and see if this pistol is the one they gave a upgrade on and if so ... I will send it in for whatever they suggest.

Do not know if it is Ruger ... or the previous owner ... but the throat is splendid. Ate everything I fed it ... to include 125 and 158 grain Lee 357 boolits PC'd and sized back to .357 inch. Just ate everything I fed it without a bobble nor wobble.

All in all I really like it. Money WELL spent.

Thank you all who reply'd to this post. Appreciate your experience and suggestions as well as the direct reply's.

Boolit Master
    Can we say; "I told ya so" without upsetting you???

Seriously,, kudos on your gun. They are different & once tried,, quite nice.

Yes you can LOL

Can you fella's tell me about your factory throats? Mine is generous and kinda curious if they all come like this or if the previous owner had it throated.

Boolit Bub
    If it's anything like it's baby brother (SR9C), you'll love it. I've got one and it's just below my Kimber as my favorite handgun.

Mine has upgraded night sights and trigger, which made it that much nicer a weapon.

It's the only one of my guns I've actually had to draw in a SD situation and have no doubts it would have done the job had I had to use it. It's reliable with anything I've fed it and has a good feel and accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master
    According to Ruger's website, they still make and sell all the SR series.

https://ruger.com/products/srSeries/models.html
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Seen a you tube where this fella cut a ring off the firing pin spring to lighten up the pull. Did so and the improvement is great. Smoothing the firing pin body helped as well. Better by far.

Can a GLOCK owner or someone "in the know" tell me if the SR Rugers and Glock pistols share the same "trigger mechanic's" as each other ... or are the Glocks the same "trigger mechanic's" as the Springfield XD's?

Just wondering at the statements of a "GOOD" and "FINE" triggers on these SR pistols may come from folks that have been firing a LIKE mechanical style pistols.

My Springfield XD 40 has a single action trigger that is WONDERFUL in comparison to my SR trigger ( having said this ... the trigger on the SR 9 is very acceptable!) It is just a very different FEEL then the Springfield XD.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12