Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom handgun Grips

Boolit Master

Custom handgun Grips

Although I do not have any custom grips for any of my handguns, but, would like to for one of my S&W's. Let's see what you have and who made them.
    I could use some ideas.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy
    These are Herrett's stocks, individually made to suit each customer's hand. These are a dull oil finish; they can also be ordered with a glossier finish. I begin using Herrett's stocks on my Smith and Wessons decades ago, and over the years their high quality has remained constant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2413.jpg  

Boolit Master
    May I suggest you look at; "Lone Star Custom Grips" by the maker, Zane Thompson. He's one of the guys who's work is quietly becoming well known among serious shooters for top quality.

Boolit Master
    How much are you looking to spend? That's a major consideration. Scott Kolar, Keith Brown, and John Culina all make excellent, beautiful custom grips - but they're not 'cheap.'
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Thanks everyone.
    I wonder how tough American Holly is.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

Very tough, but I've not seen much that I would describe as pretty.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve seen some American Holly that looks a lot like ivory, if you like the appearance of ivory. I thought they were very handsome on a blued revolver.

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schofield with American Holly Grips.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	253444 Here is a picture of American Holly on a clone Schofield.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger Single Six 32 H&R Mag., 9.5 inch barrel L.H..jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	253445 Also on a Ruger.

I have boxes full of grips that I don't use. Then I hit upon Altamont Grips. https://www.altamontco.com/

Now I have Altamont grips for all my S&W KLN revolvers. I'm particular to the Walter Roper grips, and have a pretty walnut set to install on the PC Model 686 my wife is giving me for Christmas this year.

Name:	SKR-RT11-CK.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	789.4 KB 
ID:	253446

Boolit Grand Master
    Those Roper style grips made by Altamont for S&W K-frames look pretty good from the side, but although I haven’t been able to afford better for my custom-built K-32 yet, I find them to be a little shiny and a little thin in profile. Your opinion may vary though, since by their very nature, grips are a very personal taste. The Altamont grips, along with those from Ahrends and the ones from Thailand via e-Bay bridge the gap between factory and high dollar custom grips. Figure on $50-150 as a bottom line, then for truly top end custom grips, the sky is the limit. It would be nice to be able to try them before purchase to see how they feel to you.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Herrets used to want a hand tracing of your hand to fit the grips to you. Wasn't hard to do piece of paper on a flat hard surface, sharp pencil held straight up and down, and trace around strong hand. I like the Herret frips and the fit they provide

Moderator Emeritus

A year or so ago, I was considering the grips from Thailand. I didn't buy, but I copied/posted a few photos. They sure look nice.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ailand-edition
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

These custom grips came with this Ruger BH 41mag.
    Handmade by a CB member (or his father?), that I bought the gun from.
    Attachment 253453
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Roper style grips made by Altamont ... I find them to be a little shiny and a little thin in profile.
    I have several sets, and the solid wood grips are not shiny. They appear to be rubbed with carnauba wax. Some of the other Altamont grips are made of stabilized wood, and they are shiny. Yes, they are thin in the waist, but are thicker than "Coke bottles" in the palm. As a double-action shooter I find them to be very comfortable. A person who shoots single action and does not "choke up" on the grips as much might not like them. The Coke bottle style target grips are very similar in appearance, but have dimensions more like traditional S&W target grips (I have some of those as well).

You are correct, fit of handgun grips is a very personal matter. This is why I have that box full of grips that I don't use.

Take care, Tom

Boolit Grand Master
    Hi Tom. I just looked up on the mantle as I was hanging Christmas cards and noticed about a half dozen pairs there. Yesterday I found a cigar box full of them on a shelf in the basement. This is getting out of control here; I'm going to have to set up a table at a gun show and sell off a bunch of them. My favorite factory stock for K-frames is still the finger groove smooth combats. I've never found a factory J-frame grip I really like, so I usually just use the Magna-type most come with. I actually prefer these ebony smooth combats I got from Thailand via fleaBay for the guns I really shoot because they enclose the rear grip frame and fit my hand nicely.

BTW, I guess Altamont must have changed their finish. My set in walnut are pretty slick and shiny. I asked whether they would do a special order for Roper style checkering on a set of Coke Bottle blanks, but they said no special orders.

Froggie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AB1DC82F-87A9-425E-9A20-F35F052E38CE.jpg  
    Last edited by Green Frog; 12-23-2019 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Additional info and picture
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    A year or so ago, I was considering the grips from Thailand. I didn't buy, but I copied/posted a few photos. They sure look nice.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ailand-edition
    I bought a set ostensibly made for a Python. They look good but come nowhere near fitting the frame of the gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Thanks everyone.
    Pretty tough. I had 2 RBH gripfames fitted with it a few years back. Neither had any real figure unless you looked real hard. Kinda like an ivory looking wood. It has yellowed with time even though it has had multiple coats of tru-oil. Both frames are stainless and even though it might not seem like the light color would look good, they do.

Boolit Master
    Lots of options.
    A question was asked about American Holly. I truly like this wood. It's tough, and when finished with Tri-Oil,, it takes on the look of aged ivory. I've fooled several folks with that stuff. On a blued gun,, they really look nice!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Name:	20180801_182046_resized.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	253508 like any other wood grip
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Grashorn Gunworks out of Wyoming!