RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .50 handgun boolit in ml?

Boolit Buddy

.50 handgun boolit in ml?

Sorry if this has been covered.

Has anyone tried running a .50 cast boolit in a ML?

Between the .50 calhandguns, the 50 Beowulf etc. it seems there may be some options out there as good or better than standard options like the TC maxi or Hornady's Great Plains bullet.

Thoughts?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post

Between the .50 calhandguns, the 50 Beowulf etc. it seems there may be some options out there as good or better than standard options like the TC maxi or Hornady's Great Plains bullet.

Thoughts?
    @idahoron has several videos on YouTube doing just this ...he casts the Lee boolit designed for the 50 s&w mag...drips somewhere around 450 grains.

He paper patches his and shoots it out of a 1:28 twist if I'm not mistaken. He and his son's rifles are sort of hot rods but he tags targets out to 300 yrds. plenty enough accuracy and umph for most anything you'd ever need to bring down in the Americas.

I really want to try this myself in my inline but already have a great load with the Lee REAL 320 grn.

He's the resident expert on the subject maybe he'll weigh in

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I am a long time fan of Idaho Ron and Johnson 1942 who used to be on here but got banned, wont get into that. I went out west 2 trips, and shot Rogers guns, and they proved to be super accurate out to 250 yds, with BH 209 and a rifle primer closed system on a fast twist barrel. I have a TC Renegade with a 28" Green Mtn Long Range HUnter, with 1-28 twist. I mounted a scope for load development, which did not take long, since I had Ron and Rogers data to go by. I have mine shooting the Lee .500 slug mentioned, which weighs 460grs on my powder scale. I shoot 80grs of 2ffg and can use 2 wraps of onion skin paper, or one wrap of freezer paper. With a scope, this will shoot a ragged hole at 100yds, with black powder and the 460 gr slug. It will also shoot 295gr Powerbelts in the same ragged hole at 100 yds. I have since mounted adjustable military sight that is a little big high at 100yds and dead on @ 150 yds. I can flip it up, it has a spring loaded detent, that I can slide up and down, and have marked the yardage on it in 50 yd intervals. I still use black powder and caps, since I don't like the idea of the primer system you have to use to fire the BH 209.It is amazinginly accurate with fine open sights I have inlines I use the BH209 in, with great accuracy out to 300yds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    I am a long time fan of Idaho Ron and Johnson 1942 who used to be on here but got banned, wont get into that. I went out west 2 trips, and shot Rogers guns, and they proved to be super accurate out to 250 yds, with BH 209 and a rifle primer closed system on a fast twist barrel. I have a TC Renegade with a 28" Green Mtn Long Range HUnter, with 1-28 twist. I mounted a scope for load development, which did not take long, since I had Ron and Rogers data to go by. I have mine shooting the Lee .500 slug mentioned, which weighs 460grs on my powder scale. I shoot 80grs of 2ffg and can use 2 wraps of onion skin paper, or one wrap of freezer paper. With a scope, this will shoot a ragged hole at 100yds, with black powder and the 460 gr slug. It will also shoot 295gr Powerbelts in the same ragged hole at 100 yds. I have since mounted adjustable military sight that is a little big high at 100yds and dead on @ 150 yds. I can flip it up, it has a spring loaded detent, that I can slide up and down, and have marked the yardage on it in 50 yd intervals. I still use black powder and caps, since I don't like the idea of the primer system you have to use to fire the BH 209.It is amazinginly accurate with fine open sights I have inlines I use the BH209 in, with great accuracy out to 300yds.
    Amazing, do you use a card or wad under the boolit?

I may just have to break down and get the mold and sizer. I wonder about nipple life/breech plug life with such heavy boolits..

With your inline, do you notice an effect on breech plug? I bet it kicks like a ticked off mule too

Boolit Master
    I use the NOE 502-404 SWC in two different T/C side hammer guns. They fit well and shoot nicely

Boolit Master
    I looked at my data, and I was wrong, I shoot 90 grains, not 80. Nipple life has been fine, I use a mountain state magnum and have had no need to change this, since I don't shoot it much except for hunting now that I have it all zeroed. It does kick, but I cut the stock off an inch, and put a Kick eez pad on it, could shoot it all day long with no discomfort. I usually use a veg/fiber wad underneath the paper patched slug. I have also use a poly wad, a thin wafer that does a great job.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post

Thoughts?
    As the others have said, I have been using the Lee 500 S&W bullet for 12 years now. I was in a pickle when Hornady decided to discontinue the 410 gr 50 cal. I knew I needed a new bullet but I wanted something much better than a hollow point. I started to develop my load with the 500 S&W and it instantly was a success with paper patching. I increased the hardness to between 6 and 7 BHN. Those bullets have plowed lengthwise though elk and deer. I crushed an elks front shoulder once and found the bullet in the flank. I use 80 gr of Pyrodex P with a over powder wad that measures .620 lightly greased with bore butter.
    I wrap them and size them to .501 for my guns. I know tighter bores will require a sizer die about .498 or so. I like the .501 for my Green Mountain barrels. They are very snug going down and will not come off the powder. In 12 years I have used them I have never had the bullet come off the powder. This bullet has killed a pile of animals.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by idahoron View Post
    As the others have said, I have been using the Lee 500 S&W bullet for 12 years now. I was in a pickle when Hornady decided to discontinue the 410 gr 50 cal. I knew I needed a new bullet but I wanted something much better than a hollow point. I started to develop my load with the 500 S&W and it instantly was a success with paper patching. I increased the hardness to between 6 and 7 BHN. Those bullets have plowed lengthwise though elk and deer. I crushed an elks front shoulder once and found the bullet in the flank. I use 80 gr of Pyrodex P with a over powder wad that measures .620 lightly greased with bore butter.
    I wrap them and size them to .501 for my guns. I know tighter bores will require a sizer die about .498 or so. I like the .501 for my Green Mountain barrels. They are very snug going down and will not come off the powder. In 12 years I have used them I have never had the bullet come off the powder. This bullet has killed a pile of animals.

Ron, those wads...is that felt (durofelt)? Didn't realize they would compress in diameter that much.

Boolit Master
    I make those out of wool felt, I am using punches to make them. When I load them they pucker just a bit going into the barrel. I am using 5/8" punch for the 50 cal, and for my 45 I am using .500 punch. By using an over sized wad I feel I am getting a better seal. In my testing I have also shot those bullets without the wad in the case of a quick reload. They shoot the same place aka POI as the ones with the felt. I do feel that the wad does indeed add to the accuracy of the load so I use them every time.
    If you would like to see some of my videos I have made covering black powder you can see them on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/idahoron?pbjreload=10

Boolit Buddy
    Koger would you mind sharing a picture of the sight you’re using? I’m thinking about a base for a KAC micro back up iron sight with spring detents Click image for larger version. 

Name:	83AB697E-BC4E-4C29-9764-B43815024D27.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	257020or the MA Tech.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	63038A84-E760-4237-9ED4-90BA800203C4.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	257021