Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Old E

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    rumor has it the second best score fired at 600 yesterday in Cheyenne was some goof shooting a standard shiloh 45-70 with paper patch bullets and OE 2f, and loaded in Hornady cases to boot.
    Don, if I didn't know better I would say by your post, OE fired the "second best score fired at 600 yesterday" that makes it official, OE is the second best powder.

I guess that begs the question, what was the first best powder?
    Wait, wait, ...I think I have some inside information on that answer.

I hear the scores are posted over on Shiloh.
    Michael Rix
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    lol But that best score don't count cuz it was grease groove.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Cool

LOL, I like these discussions it's almost like eating sour or sweet grapes which taste better LOL.

Heck when I was a Kid with my first $15. roller in the .43 Spanish I couldn't afford buying powder making .50 cents an hour stacking the bales in the haymow so I sifted the blasting powder we kept in the shed for splitting Cottonwood and Maple logs so we can handle them on the Alice tractor buzz saw cutting fire wood.
    It shot just fine

It was a pretty tough match, the winds were anywhere from wild to mild and the change could occur while you were wiping the bore.
    I was pretty tickled that rifle shot as well as it did, I hadn't shot it since the nationals in 18, and I used the 7lb paper instead of the 8 I had used before. One thing I did notice right away the 7 lb paper ran about 3 minutes lower than the settings I had for the 8 lb.
    Sure was glad I didn't have enough bullets cast and wrapped to take the 40-70 I think that wind would of just chewed it up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Don, if I didn't know better I would say by your post, OE fired the "second best score fired at 600 yesterday" that makes it official, OE is the second best powder.

I guess that begs the question, what was the first best powder?
    Wait, wait, ...I think I have some inside information on that answer.

I hear the scores are posted over on Shiloh.
    Michael Rix
    Based on the wind conditions in the match report, you were on fire! Nice shooting! Interesting that you used Hoch nose pour bullets.

Chris.

h

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    Based on the wind conditions in the match report, you were on fire! Nice shooting! Interesting that you used Hoch nose pour bullets.

Chris.
    Thanks for recognizing the effort Chris! It means a lot.
    In all honesty, when we were in the pits pulling targets for relay one and two, I think the conditions might have been a little more chaotic and harder to read. By the time (we) relay 3&4 got to shoot, the south west Wyoming wind conditions may have settled into a pulse, by that I mean the winds would go nuts and then return for a minute to something I had a setting for and I would try to time my shots. Mostly. And then the wind would come from a completely different direction and not return. For those shots I was lucky and guessed close and then could start over from a new baseline direction.
    Mostly - sometimes luck is with us.

You mention the Hoch molds. These old molds and this rifle have set unused for a long time. Because I am almost out of powder for my currently used rifles and would have to work up loads, I thought I would go old school and shoot a neglected rifle with some odd pounds of powder I had. That rifle and 545 Hoch mold have some great history with me. Before the DanT money bullet (mini-groove) came on the scene these old school bullets ruled the day. I had sketched up a tapered bullet I thought would shoot well in this Browning and had Dave Farmer make it. It shot like a house-a-fire and used it and the rifle to win the 2002 World Creedmoor Cup at Raton's Whittington Center that September. Hugh Wilson was second and a rare third place finish for Dave Gullo.

That Hoch bullet is a little shorter/stockier for its weight than the long high Bc designs we mostly shoot today. It may give up some Bc but takes no backseat to the high Bc bullets where great stability counts when the winds get Wyoming like.

Warning! OT alert - I failed to mention Olde Eynsford. ...there! I did.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 06-16-2020 at 11:20 PM. Reason: fix'n typos
    Chill Wills

Michael that was one heck of a total you turned in without a doubt.
    There were times when Klause and my line flags were blown out so hard that it would of been impossible to have pulled them that straight without pulling them in two, and the wind flags looked like they were made of plywood they were so flat and straight. Then all of a sudden the line would go dead, the down range flags would be pointed straight away.. It was a spotters worse nightmare all we needed to make it worse would of been dust so thick as to not be able to see the targets.
    I was pretty tickled when Klaus said I shot a 78 at 600. I think the trick was to not try and chase the spotting disc, just wait for a similar condition from the sighter shots and go.

Boolit Master
    It sounds like a fun time Those sort of winds you have to experience to believe.

I've only use Hoch molds in my .32 cal schuetzen rifles and they seem to like them a lot. I had a Hoch .40 cal for my Shiloh and for some reason couldn't get it to shoot. I don't know why it wouldn't work, but I sold it as soon as I stared shooting the Saeco #740.

With respect to the OE, I like it, but mostly I like Swiss more. However I have a C. Sharps 1874 .45-70 with Dan T's PP chamber and it just doesn't like any of the Swiss powder I've bought over the last 2 years. OE 1.5 works really well in that particular rifle. That rifle is the pickiest on burn rate of any rifle I own. It probably shot the very best with Goex Express FFg.

Chris.

As aggravating and as bubble busting as the type of conditions we shot at Cheyenne and Worland the week before can be, they do add a good bit of spice into the mix.
    My 2.4 cased 45 and 44's really like OE 1.5. One of the 45's would shoot Swiss ok, the other's not so much. None of the 44's would shoot it, and that 40-70 can barely hold on a 4x8 target at 600 with Swiss.
    I like and my 45-70 rifles agree that OE 1.5 is best with bullets over 525 and 2f with 525 and down. The 2 7/8's and the 40-90 all 3 like OE 1f. Interestingly enough the 44 2.4 does not like 1f of any flavor.
    I hadn't shot that 45-70 I used in Cheyenne since the nationals in 18 but I loaded up 50 rounds 2 days ahead of the match and headed for Cheyenne in the early morning on Sunday. Something I need to go try a theory on is the rounds I had been shooting in that rifle were patched with 8 lb. and the rounds I took to Cheyenne were patched with 7 lb. I believe the 7 lb wrapped bullets held much better vertical than the 8 lb would of, but the most interesting thing was the sight settings with those ended up being about 3-5 minutes less on the staff than all the data I had recorded in the book with the 8 lb..
    Another thing I started to thinking about in the tough conditions I don't think a 40 will hold up as well as 44's or 45's.

The Swiss vs. OE thing is interesting and I fully understand why shooters that have been using Swiss for many years with good success are hesitant to even try OE. But a relatively new shooter owe's it to hisself to try both and see just which one comes out the best.

Boolit Master
    One thing I've found with my PP .45-70 rifle that doesn't like my last couple of lots of Swiss 1.5 is that it works very well with Swiss Fg which I hadn't tried in that rifle until recently.

Chris.

This Swiss/Olde Eynsford powder discussion will go on as long as both powders are made I believe.
    I shoot both Swiss and OE and both have shot well till the last lot of Swiss really went down hill for me.
    In 2016 the MT 1000, now this lot of powder was an older good lot of Swiss, I shot the first three 1K targets and they were 50% hits. 5-5-4 and this was the loads using swiss that shot the best here at home during my ladder load tests before loading for the Quigley and Baker MT. For the last target I asked my Wife to go to the camper and bring me the box of 83 gr 2F OE I put aside and when she came back she said there are only a few left and OI said I only need 11.
    We were aloud one sighter shot and without making a elevation shot but I did make a wind change because it switched and it hit white and I shot 11 rounds total and they all scored. Carolyn, my spotter, said I could only see two hits that were out of the center white I have no idea where the rest hit and I figured that because she did not give me any sight changes. When it was over Bob W came over and said you were holding center in the white except for a couple shots.
    Charlie Young came in first and match winner and he used a scope and shot a 29, a very good score for the MT 1000 with those conditions.
    Shane Kraft iron sights was first irons with a 25
    Mike Buchholz was second irons with a 24
    I came in third irons with a 24
    I feel the OE pulled me through in the end. I feel if I can stand with those hard holders I mentioned that the powder works for me.
    The last Q 2019 I shot, I finished 9th overall using the 2F OE and first in the white buffalo class.
    2019 will be the last iron sight shoot for me. I'm forced to use a scope now if I want to hear that clang when the bullets hit.
    Swiss really has to show some good results again before I will reorder it. I'm down to a halve can now.

Kurt

Kurt,

What rifle and cartridge were you shooting that OE 2F in? Just so I can fully understand the good performance it gave you.

There is no doubt that Swiss 1 1/2 has changed and not in a good way, but I need to do some more shooting with the different lots I have before I can toss aside the powder that has put me at or near the top at least the past 15 years.

This discussion gives me hope and an idea of which way to turn if I have to move away from Swiss.
    Jim Kluskens
    aka Distant Thunder

Black powder paper patching is a journey, enjoy the ride!

Boolit Buddy
    Jim will you be going to the Great Lakes Regional in Alma Michigan next month?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian,

I'm not planning on that one. I was thinking August, but Brent wants to go to Harris. So I'm hoping for Alma in September. My wife is planning a couple of trips to visit our kids and grandkids, that will be in July and August and I have to work around her schedule. She hasn't settled on the dates yet so it making things hard for me to plan ahead. I have to be very careful about starting those kind of conversations, once I'm in one it can be impossible to get out and it quickly becomes a lose/lose situation for me!

I figure the dust will settle on her trips by the Fourth and I'll be pretty much free after that. This condensed shooting season is not a good thing.
    Jim Kluskens
    aka Distant Thunder

Jim,
    For both matches I was using the CPA .45-2.4 and the chamber was cut using my tight 5º/2.5º compound transition chamber.
    And I used this BA bullet https://www.buffaloarms.com/442-525-...base-jim442525 but I had them make it a .443" diameter. I like this nose profile and I know it's not as pretty as the long sharp nosed bullets but they just works the best for me.
    82 to 83 grains 2F OE in my 2.4 and the 2.1 seems to make it the best down range the best.

The 2.4 is a good one for sure. 83 grains is a fairly light load in that case for a bore diameter ppb. Are seating deep or using a wad stack?

That bullet profile is on my list to take a good look at in both .44 and .45. With this shortened season and the stupid China creepin' crude out there things are of course behind schedule, but it will remain one to work with before 2021 season kicks off.

That 1.430" length is a sweet spot for a .45 with an 18-twist.
    Jim Kluskens
    aka Distant Thunder

Jim,

In the 2.4 I use a .023" wad cut from a soy milk or OJ carton over the powder because I use a 3/16 lube wad and a .03" polly or gasket under the bullet to use up the extra room of the light powder charge in the 2.4 case with a 83 gr load of OE powder.

With the 82 gr load for the 2.1 I use a .023" over the powder, no lube and a .06 polly. Both loads have the bullet seated 1/8" in the case.

Boolit Buddy
    Well....... I shoot another match with the Old E but with 2 wads. For what it’s worth I am going to get another case of Swiss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234