Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply PBcastco
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old E

Boolit Buddy

Old E

How many OE shooters do we have in here? I tried some for a while and it shot ok. I went to Swiss and my scores improved. That case is now almost gone. I bought a pound of OE a couple months ago just to try. 1.5 specifically. I made a few different loads to try and much to my surprise the OE out shot my favorite Swiss load. I said I wouldn’t buy anymore but I am really thinking about getting a case of OE. What kind of compression is everyone Running? I was expecting to need to use heavy compression but my lowest compression shot the best so I will make a few more loads with less powder and see where that gets me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

considering the problems with certain lots of swiss, it appears that quality BP these dayze can be hit or miss - pun intended.

Boolit Buddy
    That was my initial thought with trying the OE again. I know there are some other shooters that really like it. I feel like my loading abilities have improved since I tried it last so maybe it’s time to give it another whirl.

Boolit Grand Master

Ive had good results with OE in 38-55 up to 45-90. Granulation depends on the cartridge somewhat. I usually end up around .080-.110 compression to get where I want to be. foulinf isn't to bad when the right compression is Found for the load.

O chronograph when working loads up and watch ES and SD, along with velocity. I start with no compression no air space and shoot for groups watching the numbers. also the fouling. I then work up in 2 grn increments to where the SD and es are lowest froups re the best and velocity is in the range Im looking for.

I can get single digit ES with old ensford even in the big cases

Boolit Master
    I think it is pretty good. Almost as good as Swiss . Seriously though, with PP loads in various rifles it has always had extremely tight core groups for me, but always one or two ugly fliers in a 10 shot group. With Swiss I don't get those weird flyers.

With that said, I did buy another case to mess with

Chris.

Banned

as a result of the latest folly with Swiss lots, i put no faith in any BP consistency from any BP manufacturer.

yes ... it's hit or miss, no more or less. GOOD black powder is not cheap. we spend a LOT of buck$ expecting to get what we pay for. that kind of thinking has been busted, as is proofed by the black powder offered by all within the last decade or so. and i'm not the only BP loader/shooter to complain about the lack of consistent BP manufacturing quality.

today, it's a matter of pure luck to acquire a consistent lot of any brand of BP. that is, IF there is such a thing as a "consistent lot", which might have been true in the past, but surely doesn't seem so these dayze. add to this, i'm talking the typical minimal 25# shipment that most of buy, not a measly pound or two.

Boolit Buddy
    The recent complaint about Swiss have really made me nervous about jumping into another case. I figure I could just get a case of OE and try it for a season. If after 6 or 7 shoots I can’t get any good scores then I will hit the Swiss although this past season I really never did put up any great scores but at just only a couple of matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    I think it is pretty good. Almost as good as Swiss . Seriously though, with PP loads in various rifles it has always had extremely tight core groups for me, but always one or two ugly fliers in a 10 shot group. With Swiss I don't get those weird flyers.

With that said, I did buy another case to mess with

Chris.
    Chris,

When I see occasional fliers and I don't think that it's so much the powder doing this if the rest are tight. Something else is going on.
    When I suspect it's the powder is when the groups open from golf ball to soft ball sized patterns of the same lot and I cannot the ladder loads tight again.
    On average over the years except for the last two years do to some health problems I shot 4 cases plus of powder a year. The last two years I barely empty two cases. Last year less than two.
    Over the years I tried just about every type of powder, Elephant, Dupont, GOEX, Olde Eynsford, Diamondback, Skirmish, FA, Swiss, Schuetzen and KIK black powder and all will give me the occasional dirt diggers. I blame it on the Gremlin behind my shoulder

I just finished the last lot of Swiss and I don't think I will get another case. The fouling that I saw dribbling out like a dozer pushing dirt of the muzzle pushing a patch through I don't see using OE or KIK for that matter.
    I don't see any benefit spending the extra $110. a case over the OE.
    Kurt

Banned

hands down, Swiss was the best for the longest time and rightly so. but it appears times have changed.

i don't might paying more and getting more, but paying more and getting less gets old fast.

i hope that Swiss and Co. are smart enuf to listen to their customer base. time will tell ....

My local shop only carries Goex or OE, and I much prefer OE in the Trapdoor and the C&B revolvers. I find it much cleaner

Works good in everything I’ve tried. Most recent load development,didn’t take much ‘development’ just good technique.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0034.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Like Leadpot, I too have shot nearly every brand of powder made: DuPont - Diamondback - (Goex, Cowboy, Cartridge) - Austin Curtis's & Harvey - Olde Eynsford - Express - KIK - Meteor - Schuetzen - Skirmish and Swiss
    * The powders that I gave up on Diamondback, Express and Olde Eynsford, Goex and Goex Cowboy
    * The powders that have the charcoal made from Alder Buckthorn, the best wood for making charcoal which makes the better powder are: Curtis's & Harvey, KIK - Meteor - Schuetzen and Swiss
    * All Goex brands of powder are made from sub contracted yellow maple
    * Best powder ever was Curtis's & Harvey, made in Ardeer, Scotland and so was Meteor which I tested against the Austin Curtis's & Harvey for velocity, fouling, density and mesh grain ratio distribution. I am led to believe Meteor was either made from left over C&H or the same process and formulation
    * I've reduced my Ole E and Swiss down to 2.5 and 11 cans respectively
    * The most powder now in inventory are Goex Cartridge - Meteor and KIK, which unfortunately are now obsolete powders

An example of KIK: 50 rounds of 38-55 shot consecutively for accuracy at Ridgway from 200m to 500m with no patching or tubing. Then cleaned the bore with one water cotton ball and 3 dry cotton balls resulting in a very faint amount of foul remaining. My settings were just a few MOA's off my normal settings
    Last edited by John Boy; 12-24-2019 at 12:24 AM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy

Old E

Me and a friend went out and shot some Old E at some silhouettes and it went much better than I expected. I am getting a bunch this week. Hit 13 out of 15 turkeys. The 2 misses were my fault. Came up to the rams and didn’t miss out if 10 shots. Vertical stringing that had plagued me in the 2019 shooting season with the Swiss was completely gone yesterday. I am excited to see what this will bring.

Boolit Grand Master

I have had good results across the range of BPPCR rounds I loaf with Olde Ensforde in several granulations. I get very low standard Deviations and extreme Spreads with it. It seem to be fairly consistent with new batches bought. I have found experimenting with compression is a plus with Olde Ensforde. When working with a new cartridge or rifle, I start at no air space no compression ( just the charge dropped in thru 3' tube) and work up in 2 grn increments, watching ES and SD numbers. Also velocity. I usually end up around .090 compression where numbers get the best and velocity is where I want it to be

Boolit Buddy
    What is the US equivalent of Wano P & 2 P, Have found it shot equal to Swiss 1.5 in my 40/65 Roller.

Cheers Mal.

Boolit Buddy

Old E

Took a little time but I think I found a load. This was 10@200.

Looks good! What calibre ?

Someday the powder shooters will give this OE a go. But Shhhhh don't let the secret out or the competition will really get rough
    Kurt

Boolit Buddy
    . 45/70

Very good ian.
    Now get that what I call fat fingering ( the left oblique vertical group) and the last second shoulder push when you let the shot go, those holes will be even tighter.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    But Shhhhh don't let the secret out or the competition will really get rough
    Kurt - what makes it 'better' is Minden for their mix of Old E doesn't follow the industry standards for ratios of different grades:
    Olde E FFg:
    20 mesh - 62.81% Hold
    30 mesh - 32.32% Hold
    40 mesh - 04.27% Hold
    50 mesh - 00.60% Hold

60 mesh - Trace
    4.27% 40 mesh in a FFg grade?
    If Swiss did these ratios - their FFG would be almost Null-B powder
    Regards
    John

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast