MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Rossi 92's again

Boolit Buddy

Rossi 92's again

While we're on the subject of Rosii 92's...Anyone filled the screw holes underneath the factory rear sight after removing for a peep sight?

I have read "How To's" on the net. Has anyone done it. I bought a few filler screw. I have a stainless rifle, so re-finish will not be an issue.

I plan on annealing screw first, them hammering to mushroom screw. Them file and sandpaper to match barrel contour.

Is it as easy as described? Many thanks, Randy.

Since factory sight/scope mount hole fillers are pretty common on new rifles, I simply visit a real gunsmith or two (not some parts-changer) and glom some filler screws from their scrounge box ('smith's install a LOT of scopes & retain the filler screws) to fill empty holes.

If you want stainless filler screws, they are available.

https://stevesgunz.com/

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy

pietro, I have filler screws. I want to fill the holes with the screws, make it appear the holes were never in the barrel. Many thanks, Randy

"I plan on annealing screw first, them hammering to mushroom screw. Them file and sandpaper to match barrel contour. Is it as easy as described? Many thanks, Randy. "
    Last edited by sixgunner452; 12-22-2019 at 01:47 PM. Reason: edit

? So your proposed method is going to permanently fill the screw holes? Might change your mind a few years down the road, and then? A drill and tap job at best. But, it's your rifle. You'll have an interesting time blending the mushroomed screw heads to the contour of the barrel without scratching and scaring the barrel's finish at that location. It can be done if you have something like a small belt sander and a buffing wheel set with various polish grits. For blue steel barrels I used to fill holes by pounding in small pieces of soft back iron wire, then refinishing the surface and running it though the bluing tanks. Perhaps you can find some stainless wire. Were it me, I'd go with the filler screws and some Loctite.

Boolit Buddy

Der Gebirgsjager, yes my intention is to permanently fill the screw holes and blend into the barrel. I have a stainless rifle, do not believe blending will be an issue. Any suggestions. Randy.

I would NOT recommend your plan for "permanently filling the screw holes". That's VERY drastic, and damn near irreversable. You may not like that peep sight. You might try someone else's Rossi that has a mini-rail and a red dot on it and love it.

I don't see this plan being your friend in the future, but - it's your rifle and your plan - just stay the hell away from MY Rossi's......

Randy-- do you have any experience in metal working and/or refinishing? If you do, you know "it ain't easy". Let's get to the part where you've screwed in the screws, mushroomed them with a hammer or hammer and steel punch, and now you're ready to file them off. You'll have to do it one of two ways, using a hand mill file. Either draw file, which means pushing the file away from you and pulling it toward you lengthwise on the barrel, or try to file over the circumference of the barrel one handed bending your wrist to match the curvature. Either way, you'll get scratches in the barrel from the edge of the file which will need to be removed, unless you want a Bubba job. Whichever way the scratches go, lengthwise or across, you can only remove them by using progressive grits, either w&d sandpaper or buffing wheels, applied at a 90 degree angle to the scratches. Put in a different way, you can only get rid of a scratch by bringing the surrounding metal down to the level of the bottom of the scratch.
    So now you will find that you have a dip or low spot in the barrel which will be visible. The only way to get rid of that is to feather it out-- blend the low spot by making it bigger so that it gradually blends into the level of the surrounding metal. You'll not be likely to match the finish of the rest of the barrel to make the repaired area invisible, so you'll likely have to polish out the entire barrel to a uniform level of polish. Like rondog says, it may turn out that you don't like the peep sight after all, and it's going to be darn hard to reverse the job. Also worthy of consideration, you may want to sell the rifle, and the prospective buyer may not want to give you full value for an altered model. Something to think about, sometimes you see rifles that have both kinds of sights on them. Honest...I have a Rossi M-92 stainless in .45 L. Colt and I like it "as is". But, if I was going to change the sights I'd just fill the holes with plug screws. I know you think I probably don't have one, so see the photo below.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006255.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	253436

Boolit Buddy

Der Gebirgsjager, you may be right. I am thinking about removing material from the bottom of the screw. To where is barely is above level with the barrel. Them draw filing off the proud section of screw remaining. I can still remove screw if needed down the road. Need to think about it.

My last Rossi was an older Interarms SRC Puma. I didn't have this problem. Believe it or not, I like the newer safety. Easier to remove it and replace with a plug/peep sight. I had to pay a gunsmith to D/T the older SRC to install a peep sight. Thanks a bunch, Randy.

Boolit Master
    I would prefer to use "positive stop" filler screws in those holes BUT the Rossi probably wears metric screws. I don't recall seeing metric plug or filler screws available, but that is mostly because I have never looked for them. That said, I would determine the gauge of the original screws and find that same size in a few longer screws. Insert the screw about 3 full threads into a workable surface (not the barrel) and cut them over=long, cut in a screw slot, and shorten the bottom as required for a flush fit. Then again, all this effort could be avoided by finding correct fitting plug screws.

Boolit Buddy

Thin Man, I ordered the correct screws. They did not have a stop at the top like some I have seen. I removed material from the bottom so the screws are barely above the barrel line. Thanks, Randy.