Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25 20

Boolit Bub

25 20

Has anyone used this bullet in their 25 20 https://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=225. I would like to push it at around 1500 fps. The powders I have on hand that might be suitable are Lil Gun, H322 and Trail Boss. I also have Reloader 10 but don't know if that would work. I would like to use the 322 because I have a lot of it. So I'm kind of fishing for load thoughts. Any ideas?

Boolit Master

I have to wonder if it will stabilize in most 25-20 rifles. My rifle will not shoot anything over 70 grains very well.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    I have to wonder if it will stabilize in most 25-20 rifles. My rifle will not shoot anything over 70 grains very well.

Edd
    I have a box of Remington 86 grn factory loads and they stabilize at 25 yards anyhow. No signs of keyholing at all. That's the first thing I looked for. The rifle is a 1892 Winchester with strong rifling left. The rifle/caliber is new to me. Just finished the 32 20 to 25 20 conversion so I'm getting ready to load. Thanks
    Dave

Boolit Master

Check out Hodgdon data.
    There should be something there for you.
    www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    Check out Hodgdon data.
    There should be something there for you.
    www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
    I've checked this site and others but it seems that when it comes to cast lead bullets the data is very conservative. I'm assuming that is because of possible leading issues.

Boolit Master

A lot of guys will use jacketed bullet data when loading the same weight cast bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm pushing a similar 89 gr bullet NOE 260283 PB to just under 1300 with 9.2 gr H4198. 9.6 gave just over 1400. My old Lyman manual is out in the shop, but think it went to 12 grains with H4198. I used to run the 257420GC 70 gr at 2050 fps with 13 gr H4198. Below max load in that manual.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks everyone. I'm narrowing down my possible loads and within a few days I'll load up about ten of a couple of loads and try them out.

Banned

It just so happens, I loaded and shot my first .25-20 ammo today. I got a Savage 23D a couple of weeks ago. Had a set of dies, some old brass in my dad's stuff along with some bullets he cast which were sized and lubed but not checked (seems he plinked with a lot of gas check designs without the checks). Anyway, bullets weigh 89 grains, I loaded 3.4 grains of 700X and away I went. The rifle has a scope I figure is from the '20s, long tube about 3/4" and mounted in a side mount with external adjustments so it took me a little while to figure out, but that load is minute of squirrel at 50 yards now.

I don't have too many more of these bullets left, I need to get out and cast some. I think I'm going to like the .25-20.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    It just so happens, I loaded and shot my first .25-20 ammo today. I got a Savage 23D a couple of weeks ago. Had a set of dies, some old brass in my dad's stuff along with some bullets he cast which were sized and lubed but not checked (seems he plinked with a lot of gas check designs without the checks). Anyway, bullets weigh 89 grains, I loaded 3.4 grains of 700X and away I went.

The 25-20 WCF has become one of my favorites! I am glad to hear you are enjoying yours!
    Does the Savage have a faster twist than the Winchester 1892? I think the Winchester 1892 has a 1 in 14 twist and mine will not support bullets as heavy as the Lyman 257312 at 92grains with GC. 80 grains or less seem to work much better with what ever twist Winchesters have.

DDJ wrote:
    "I have a box of Remington 86 grn factory loads and they stabilize at 25 yards anyhow. No signs of keyholing at all. That's the first thing I looked for. The rifle is a 1892 Winchester with strong rifling left."
    Chill Wills

Banned

Not sure what the twist is. I should probably check.

I cast some of the bullets from the Rapine mold I got, turned out to weigh 97 grains and right between .260 and .261. Was hoping not to have to size them. I'll mess around with them in the next few days. I hope they stabilize, they're not much heavier or longer than the ones I was shooting today.

Boolit Master
    think the savage is 1 in 16 in the hornet 340

Boolit Bub
    Thanks again for the replies. All the reading that I have done on the 25 20 and that's about anything and everything I can find 4227 seems to be highly thought of in this caliber so I bought a pound. Loaded 11 rounds of 8 grains of it behind this bullet. Using one round as a barrel warmer. Haven't shot it yet but I'll try to get around to it this week. I'm going to take some factory rounds with me for a comparison. So far this 25 20 project has been a lot of fun

Boolit Buddy
    IMR 4227 is an excellent powder for it. For a mild and accurate load try 6.5-6.7 grains.
    The Missouri Bullets are good. Shot many of them in 25-20 and 32-20.
    Bob

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Missouri 25-20, 85gr bullets -- same as the Ideal 25720
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ht_25-20.jpg 
Views:	580 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	253555

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	257020-25720_46g-56g-67g-77g-86g-96g.gif 
Views:	579 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	253556
    25720. This is the regular old standard .25-20 Stevens series. Any of these weights are correct for the .25-20 Stevens and Winchester single shot, .25-20 Marlin and Winchester repeating rifles, .25-25 and .25-21 Stevens Straight. They may be seated in any chamber that is correct for any of the above cartridges. The light weights are also fine for short range. Being short pointed they make well balanced short range bullets for any of the heavier .25 caliber rifles. 77 and 86 grain bullets were regular list. (PB, FN, 46, 56, 67, 77, 86, 96 Also Perfection – TP is 420)

25-20, 86 gr loading data ... http://stevespages.com/257_3_86.html

Load up the Missouri Bullets but you need to buy a different powder or use the Trail Boss per Hodgdon loading instructions
    Regards
    John

Boolit Bub
    Well I took the rifle out to the range this morning and it was a cold 20 degrees F. Took a box of factory Remington 86 grain core lock and 2 of my reloads- 85 grain Meister and 85 grain Hi Tek Missouri bullets. Both of the reloads were pushed with 8 grains of IMR 4227. The Meister bullets are advertised at .258 while the Missouri bullets are advertised at .259. I noticed that when loading. I was set up for the Meister bullet but when I switched to the Missouri bullet I had to adjust my expanding die just a little bit to open up the case mouth a little bit more to accept the bullet properly. The factory bullets shot beautifully however the 258 Meister bullets were all over-6-7 inch groups at 25 yds and a few slightly oblong holes. The .259 Missouri bullets faired better-about a 2 inch group at 25 yds and all holes were round. According to my data I'm pushing these 85 grainers about 200 fps faster than the factory load. I don't hold much hope for the Meister Bullet in this rifle. Right now I'll just back off on the powder charge and load up some more of the Missouri bullets. I welcome any and all suggestions and have already read through all the previous ones again. I may just have to break down and buy a mould for this rifle. I would like to duplicate what the factory loads do. Any more suggestions?

Boolit Master

My savage 23D has a 1:16 twist but shoots the 86gr J pretty well. The best cast for that rifle seems to be my 65 gr cast. I could not get the 86 gr cast, one similar to the yours pictured, to stabilize or be accurate.

that 86 gr did however work very well in my 257 Roberts !
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    My savage 23D has a 1:16 twist but shoots the 86gr J pretty well. The best cast for that rifle seems to be my 65 gr cast. I could not get the 86 gr cast, one similar to the yours pictured, to stabilize or be accurate.

that 86 gr did however work very well in my 257 Roberts !
    I may have that same problem but I'll play around with it some more. Thanks

Boolit Master
    I recently acquired a 219 Savage in .25-20. It was re-bored/chambered from .22 Hornet, mounts a Weaver K4. I have a Lyman 257285 mold and I guess I gotta scare up a set of dies now too. (It came with three boxes of jacketed factory ammo so there'll need to be some plinking done to generate brass first. Oh darn.) My last .25-20 went with its dies- what an idiot I was!

Banned

Dang! Wish I had found that one. I have one I have put together from parts here and there with a ruined .30-30 barrel I plan to have relined to either .25-20 or .32 S&W Long. I really like Savage 219s and I recently bought a book that seems to be the authority on everything about them. The author has a web forum dedicated to them and the 220 shotguns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast