RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Target rifle hand rest

Boolit Buddy

Target rifle hand rest

I've seen older remington and winchester target 22's with a hand rest attached to a rail section inlet to the underside of the forearm. Can someone tell me what the correct name of these are? I've searched palm rest, hand rest and not turning up much for results. Guessing I'm looking for the wrong name. The one I'm looking for was what looked like aluminum.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    I always heard them referred to as “hand stops.” Freeland’s used to sell them. I would guess that Champion’s Choice or maybe even Brownell’s would have them.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

I have always heard them referred to as palm rests also. Very popular in Shutezen matches and small bore. The better ones were adjustable for height, length, and cant. THey allowed for a better elbow support. The hand stops in high power rifle were a simple block to lock forward hand in place in sitting and prone.

I think Bent Ramrod has it right. By the time of the bolt action Winchester and Remington .22s, the Schuetzen game was all but dead. The bolt action .22s were shot prone, with a sling.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I've always heard them referred to as hand stops. I have a Mossberg 144LSB target rifle that has one on it.
    Chuck

Boolit Grand Master

There is a distinct difference between a hand rest/stop (what the OP is referring to) used for prone shooting with a sling and a palm rest used for standing/offhand shooting.

I have 4 hand stops; 2 for my target 22s (Remington M37 & Mossberg 144LS) and 2 for my high power match rifles (M70 Target & M10 Savage Competition). I had a palm rest on a Anschutz 22LR match rifle with hook butt plate made for offhand shooting but it went with the rifle wen I sold it.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I didn't have a clue what y'all was talking about. Thanks John Boy for sharing the link.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

A picture of a nib/unfired Anschutz 54 x-series made in 1979.

[IMG][/IMG]

There are 2 things attached to the handrail. The small round silver piece attached to the front of the handrail is called a hand stop. It is used for attaching slings to the rifle to shoot prone, sitting & kneeling. The bigger piece with the piece of wood on it that's attached to the handrail behind the hand stop is called a palm rest. It is used for offhand shooting.

Boolit Buddy
    OK that helps, sounds like hand stop it is. Thanks for clarification.