Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersADvertise here

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Target rifle hand rest

  1. #1

    Target rifle hand rest

    I've seen older remington and winchester target 22's with a hand rest attached to a rail section inlet to the underside of the forearm. Can someone tell me what the correct name of these are? I've searched palm rest, hand rest and not turning up much for results. Guessing I'm looking for the wrong name. The one I'm looking for was what looked like aluminum.


  2. #2
    Boolit Master

    Bent Ramrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Southern Arizona
    I always heard them referred to as “hand stops.” Freeland’s used to sell them. I would guess that Champion’s Choice or maybe even Brownell’s would have them.

  3. #3
    Boolit Grand Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    South Jersey

  4. #4
    Boolit Grand Master

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Northwest Ohio
    I have always heard them referred to as palm rests also. Very popular in Shutezen matches and small bore. The better ones were adjustable for height, length, and cant. THey allowed for a better elbow support. The hand stops in high power rifle were a simple block to lock forward hand in place in sitting and prone.

  5. #5
    Boolit Master uscra112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Switzerland of Ohio
    I think Bent Ramrod has it right. By the time of the bolt action Winchester and Remington .22s, the Schuetzen game was all but dead. The bolt action .22s were shot prone, with a sling.
    flectere si nequeo superos, acheronta movebo

  6. #6
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    SE Ohio
    I've always heard them referred to as hand stops. I have a Mossberg 144LSB target rifle that has one on it.

  7. #7
    Boolit Grand Master

    Larry Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Lake Havasu City, Arizona
    There is a distinct difference between a hand rest/stop (what the OP is referring to) used for prone shooting with a sling and a palm rest used for standing/offhand shooting.

    I have 4 hand stops; 2 for my target 22s (Remington M37 & Mossberg 144LS) and 2 for my high power match rifles (M70 Target & M10 Savage Competition). I had a palm rest on a Anschutz 22LR match rifle with hook butt plate made for offhand shooting but it went with the rifle wen I sold it.
    Larry Gibson

    “Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

  8. #8
    Boolit Buddy If1Hitu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Derby City,KY.
    I didn't have a clue what y'all was talking about. Thanks John Boy for sharing the link.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

    Oorah,Semper Fi.

  9. #9
    Boolit Master Forrest r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    NE Ohio
    A picture of a nib/unfired Anschutz 54 x-series made in 1979.


    There are 2 things attached to the handrail. The small round silver piece attached to the front of the handrail is called a hand stop. It is used for attaching slings to the rifle to shoot prone, sitting & kneeling. The bigger piece with the piece of wood on it that's attached to the handrail behind the hand stop is called a palm rest. It is used for offhand shooting.

  10. #10
    OK that helps, sounds like hand stop it is. Thanks for clarification.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check