WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killing mildew on leather

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Killing mildew on leather

I’m having a terrible time with mildew on my sheaths & leather carry straps. Tried vinegar/rubbing alcohol/Lysol mouthwash/saddle soap/MOS, all to no avail. Other than keeping them all in direct sunlight , what works???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had relatives in Florida that had mildew growing on any leather that wasn't stored in a dry place.

I'd think that after ya killed it with Lysol or something, keeping it dry should prevent more growing.
    Mildew won't grow without moisture. In a warm, humid place, it'll grow on a bowling ball.

I've heard of people putting a light in their closet to keep it warm and dry the same way we use a 'golden rod' in a gun safe.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

To kill it, dip the item in hot water with some bleach. 1/4 cup to a couple gallons. Dunk it a few seconds and then dry it best you can with a towel. You'll likely remove a small amount of the coloring when wiping it so use an old towel. When it's dry, over night or so, give the leather a coat of something to seal it. Clear shoe polish, or leather top coat used in holster making.

Boolit Master
    You need to increase the pH of the surface of the leather to stop mold and prevent it in the future. Baking soda mixed with water is a cheap means to do so.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Moderator Emeritus

fiberoptic -- IF you get a solution for this problem, please let me know? I have, for years, been waging a losing battle on holsters, slings, and other leather goods -- I often have it totally coated with the whitish cover. I have tried heating directly; a heat lamp; washing with hydrogen peroxide, washing with vinegar, packing in baking soda; liberally applying Neatsfoot oil; and even leaving outside for days under bright summer sun. Not to mention spraying with hospital-grade Lysoil, and the like.
    Others have told me -- and I alllmost believe it -- is that once even one "molecule" of dreaded mold starts on leather, the best one can hope for is to slow growth down, but never totally arrest it. I have a couple of really cherished holsters I'd wish for a solution, as well as other leathers.
    Again -- if you get a solution -- I'd be forever indebted if you might pass it on to me?
    Thanks, and BEST!
    geo

I've done the bleach as I described on a knife sheath that was mildewy/moldy and it's been fine for over a year not stored any special way. Just in a box with other knives.

I use a magic machine called a dehumidifier, it will also keep rust off of your guns.
    You do have to remember to empty it.
    Don't mess with desiccants, they work in a small container like an ammo box but that's about it.

Boolit Master
    Does Ballistol help-with/prevent/cure mold+mildew on leather?
    I'm asking for actual experience, no guesses please

Boolit Master
    Might try a UV-C lamp. That's what they use in hospitals to kill mold, mold spores and bacteria in the air. Only take a few minutes exposure and they should be "sterilized". If it were a collectable piece of leather I'd feel better with that some chemical approach. Maybe worth googling.

Banned
    I live in florida also the best and most practical ways to stop mildew on leather and it works for me you have 2=3 alternatives the product snow for boots works good 100% food grade silicone spray is what I use spray it on liberally and let it soak in I have 2 six gun belts and holsters I had made in Nuevo Laredo in 72 and they are well worn but still usable when I let the belt out to the last notch. the other thing to use is saddle soap to get the mildew off and neatsfoot oil but it stinks the silicone once it dries in you can't smell it.

Boolit Master

Using the item regularly usually keeps it mildew free.

Banned
    Sunlight is a good cure.

Once you kill off everything growing on it, you need to keep it dry.

Ballistol will help to prevent mildew, not because it kills the mildew but because it helps keep the moisture out of the leather.

Ballistol does work with occasional wiping, after killing the mold with a bleach solution.

Boolit Master
    Wouldn't bleach methods affect the metal, say in a holster?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    Wouldn't bleach methods affect the metal, say in a holster?
    The times I've done it, there has been no adverse affects to the bleach. Just the affects that water has on leather products. Most of the time, fasteners and snaps are covered in nickel or brass if they are steel. I imagine a steel lined holster wouldn't care for a water bath, but not because of the bleach added.

After it's been wetted but not soaked, about 45 minutes in the oven on 150-175 will make a holster stiff again if it's not soaked with sweat and oil. It won't be stiff as long as it was new though.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I use a dehumidifier as well. But I understand it's not a chore everyone wants to add. It does keep my leathers, guns and dies/tools rust and mildew-free though.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Terrible humid summer this past year in SE Ohio. I got mildew on all my leather. I have several Lawrence rigs that I dry wiped with soft cloth and soft brush. I have big tackle boxes that are designated for certain species or areas I fish. I didn't get to fish hardly at all the past year. Opened a tackle box to loan some stuff to buddie's who were going and it looked like a monster movie. White fuzzy mildew over all the lures and they are plastic.
    This winter I what to not only clean up the leather and tackle, I want to treat them to retard it from coming back. I'm going to buy a dehumidifier for gun room and look into lights type that may help. I do leave ceiling light on 24/7- standard 100w bulb, recessed fixture. I don't want to slop just anything on expensive leather.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I use a dehumidifier as well. But I understand it's not a chore everyone wants to add. It does keep my leathers, guns and dies/tools rust and mildew-free though.
    I run mine into a condensate pump. No dumping. I also run it on a timer so I don't have to hear it run at night.

My grandmother would add the condensate to her clothes washing machine to help dilute the hard water.

Boolit Master
    Copied from a link on another site from 2014..
    I have used the first part .. never have time for the repeat...

When I get the time I have it growing on the walls of my safe and have to rip out and replace the liner on my safe

it is a fungus .. not a mould ... did it on the leather sheath for old knife ... dunked it the water and let it dried out
    ----------------------------

Take this for what it's worth, it has worked for me and I read it on another forum:

I've used very diluted bleach water.
    About a cap-full into 2/3rds cup of water, less is better, more is bad.
    Put in a spray bottle.
    Wipe off any visible mold present (outdoors preferably) and make a note of these areas.
    You now need another spray bottle with plain water, give the stock a light coat of water to active the mold.
    Wait a few mins and hit it with the bleach water.
    Allow to dry for about 6 hours and repeat about 5 or 6 times.
    Give a final spray "rinse" with clear water and you're done

As long as you don't use too much bleach, you will not harm the finish or wood, at least I never have.

I have done at least a dozen stocks this year that were moldy, no suffered any damage from the bleach solution.
    I normally let them sit another few days and visually check for any mold.
    I then waxed the stocks and reassembled the rifle.

I second the Ballistol idea. It works on just about anything. Even cats!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast