Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 38-55 Lever Loads

38-55 Lever Loads

So I signed up to garner some of the basics of casting and proper load development for CB's.

I want to start with my Grandpa's 38-55 1894 with a 26" barrel. It is in top notch shape and I've fired off the last box of old Dominion ammo and it is accurate and tight. Probably should have hung on to that early 60's ammo but I couldn't help myself...... Wish I could post a pic of the rifle, serial #'s put it late 1895 / early 1896 manufacture.

I stumbled into Laser Cast projectiles and grabbed the unopened 500 of them at a garage sale. I have new brass @ 2.125" and all the needed components along with a good selection of powder. What I don't want is any grief with leading / gas cutting mess. What is everyones starting point and favourite powder?

Cheers.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    What I don't want is any grief with leading / gas cutting mess. What is everyones starting point and favourite powder?
    Dak, in order to respond correctly, the bullet weight of the Laser Casts should be posted
    Regards
    John

For my old Marlin 1893, I use 9-10 grs. of Unique under a cast bullet with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Dak, in order to respond correctly, the bullet weight of the Laser Casts should be posted
    Ahhh yes, brain fart. .380 dia and 240gr. I’d really like to develop the load into a suitable hunting load and we have some rather robust Muleys here in B.C.

Or would turning to Barnes Originals jacketed be more suited?

With the age of your rifle I think I'd stick with cast lead boolits rather than modern jacketed bullets. (That's what your rifle was really designed to shoot in that cartridge anyway!)

I load for several vintage .38-55 single shots and tend to stay on the "softer" side of the loading data for older rifles. I've used 19.0 to 21.0 grains of IMR4198 with 255 grain cast boolits with good success and with these sorts of speeds you'll likely find it'll duplicate the older loads and it might shoot much closer to the original sights on your rifle. Most factory loads for the .38-55 were 255 grain bullets, but your 240 grain bullets are close enough that you shouldn't see much difference when shooting them.

Enjoy shooting your old piece of family history!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

As you have a classic you need to keep the loads moderate. I doubt if that one has what was called a "smokeless" barrel. They were marked as such. The Unique load mentioned is very popular. Laser cast bullets are "hard cast" so would not be my choice as I prefer softer bullets. If the Dominion shot the 380 should be looked into as many factory cartridges were loaded with a 377 bullet. Not saying they won't work and probably will, but factory loads were usually either 377 or maybe 379. I cast my own 38-55's and get good accuracy with 379's in spite of all the advice I have heard on using more oversized bullets for my Marlin CB.

DEP

DEP

Boolit Master
    My hunting load for the North Woods of WI.
    28 grains of Reloader 7 under the Lyman 375248(0.060LDPE wad pushed down with the bullet)
    or Lyman 375499gas check bullet(9+1COWW/Lino) (both sized to 0.379/MTL lube). Oehler 33 says 1756fps.E.S.27fps.
    It shoots extremely well in my Marlin 336CB- have shot 3 shot 100yd groups close to 1 inch. Others up to 1.5".

It is a modest load- Lyman Handbook #50 lists 27.5 gr max at 25,400cups for early 38-55s. Shot well also in my Marlin 1893 w/ smokeless barrel.
    I think, but don't know about your 1894 but it should be as strong as my old 1893.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    OH, and No leading with that Re7 load above, even with some that I had cast from20+1 lead/tin
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Grand Master

Samo samo on the Reloader 7 load that is what I use for hunting in my Crazy Horse 94. I also use Trail Boss for plinking and of course the 10.0 0f Unique.

Vendor Sponsor

The faster powders like Trail Boss and Unique are going to produce pressures at the higher end. Especially at the max loads.
    For older rifles, smokeless powders like 4198, Reloader 7, SR-4759, AA-5744, 2400 and a good many others in that burn rate are very good choices for moderate velocity and reasonable pressures.

Your plain base hard Lazer cast bullets, being 0.380" can/may work just fine do to them being large enough (hopefully).
    You are smart to start easy with the pressure.

I have a few of these early 1894's and they are among my favorite to shoot and carry. How much fun to give this old rifle a chance to hunt again! Two thumbs up!
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 12-26-2019 at 04:18 PM. Reason: fat fingers
    Chill Wills

Banned

Mine liked 5744. If you start casting your own, I found the Lee design works well and it drops a hair over .380.

When I switched from a regular set of dies with an expander designed for jacketed bullets to a set of the RCBS Cowboy dies, mine's accuracy greatly improved. If you haven't bought dies yet, I would highly recommend a set of them.

I appreciate all the feedback!

Here is the 'Ol Girl along with a new fangled contraption that I just had to have..... LOL

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1860CBA1-7719-4015-8C25-FB2A89D06211_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	253803Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7B87DEA8-16E9-4BEE-8444-457EC7013618_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	253804

Boolit Bub
    My load with the 1893 Marlin is 30 grains IMR3031 a cast bullet 265 grains GC very good accuracy